Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted here a couple years ago, and this is the first winter (and weekend) I have had to give this machine a good run. Drove over 150km, most of it between 40 and 65Km/h but some 80+ Km/h runs too. Engine doesn't idle good after its warmed up, I think its flooding a bit but once you tap the throttle it comes to life and the engine pulls real hard, and runs real cool even at 80Km/h. (Temperature gauge comes up 1/4 mark on good snow, and 1/3 mark when on hard surfaces) I could probably go a fair bit faster (had more throttle left, just no nerve). Engine has almost 8400km on it, and most of those were easy Km; my dad was real easy on this machine. Hardly any grime in the engine bay, and engine still has its green paint on the heads. I need to read the plugs soon, but the thing is decent on gas, maybe a bit thirsty when compared to the 2016 machines, and its darn good on oil too. The jetting should be factory settings. Should do a compression test too just to see what's going on.

Anyway, I'm not here to ask what to do with the engine. I want to refresh a few items on the machine and was hoping you folks could give me some "do's & don't" with respect to parts selection. I'm not interested in modifying the machine, just want to refresh it with better than OEM grade parts, but not looking to buy gold plated stuff either.

• With my wife on (total combined weight about 300lbs) we seem to be able to easily bottom out the suspension. Springs seem fine. I think the track shocks are shot, so I want to replace them both. I'd like a fairly stock ride, maybe a bit on the soft side for my wife, but just want to get rid of that bottoming out.
  • Darting is more than I would like, and I seem to have a fair bit of play in the skis. Steering linkage seems fine with just a little play, but there seems to be a fair bit of play where the skis attach. Bushings gone? Skis are plastic. I'd like to replace them with something that will reduce a lot of the darting, help me turn way tighter when turning around, yet retain good high speed stable steering. Carbides, etc will be needed. Maybe something a bit wider?
  • Coolant needs to be flushed. Its 20 years old, but completely clean.
  • Overall noise is really loud. Muffler seems fine, but this thing seems real loud compared to the 2016/2017s toys. I'm getting earplugs for now. If I can pick up a few horsepower as a bonus without leaning the engine, or jeopardizing its life I'd be cool with that. Quiet is my goal without reducing horsepower or engine life.
  • Track is pretty darn good, but am thinking of a new one in a couple years time.

That's it. If anyone can help me with some product suggestions, and even a source to buy from that would be great. I live in Nova Scotia, and I'm cool with reputable mail order catalogue stuff.

Thank again,

OleNewfieDog

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny, I'm also in Nova Scotia and have similar plans for my 583 Deluxe. So much slack in the front skis.

I noticed Royal Distributing sells a Ski Doo front end bushing kit.....Around 70 bucks

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm just wondering if the darting can be lessened a bit just by adjusting the suspension? Perhaps, after you replace your shocks on the rear suspension, and play with the adjustments, you may notice a less darting?
or
If there is a bit too much play where the skis attach, and it turns out not to be the bushings, is it possible that the rubber pads need replacing? You probably can't get these from Ski Doo any more, but I'm sure there are after market companies that sell them.

Also, regarding your track: Is it still the original track?
If it is, I'd probably consider replacing it now. But that's just based on my own personal preference. My preference would be to have something with a slightly larger lug, and more aggressive pattern than what the original track had. Even on a 2up touring machine, I think a person would find the extra traction beneficial. But again, that's just based on my personal preference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ourkid2000 - I'll have to look at that bushing kit from Royal Distributing. Thanks. I'll check with them for shocks too.

ron.r - I don't know for sure, but I think my track is original. But its hardly worn, and its works pretty darn good. I got some good runs last weekend and never got stuck once, even taking off from standstill in a few feet of powder. My brother-in-law was quite impressed considering his wife on her 2006 machine got bogged down a couple times. Also me and him went across a pond that had a bad case of slush (I'm thinking 6 inches of water between ice and snow) and I got across that. A couple times I could feel the track spin, and I was thinking oh oh wishing I had a 'paddle' track, but I waas careful to not overpower the track and made it without getting stuck.

All - I was reading about ski toe alignment so I will have to check that too. But even with that correct my guess is it will varies due to the play in the skis which fits exactly what I feel when riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts