Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developed a very recent high idle on my '09 800r. Found the problem to be 3 of the 6 reed cage bolts had backed out on mag side. I had recently replaced the stock rubber boots with the one piece Boyeson Rad valve with the metal neck. Nice units. Sled idled, ran beautifully for two days, 450 miles until I got it back to trailer, and then all hell broke loose. The previous owner had installed the Rad valves that go inside the rubber boots. I am thinking that the threads on cylinder that the reed bolts thread into are now worn a bit, and with my reinstall, I should go red threadlock and either a lock washer or Nordlock. I got lucky this time, don't want the bolts backing out again. Suggestions?

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
You may not have got them tight enough? A small dab of blue loctite would ensure they don't back out. Tighten them down evenly in stages, and recheck all bolts after you think they're tight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I definitely would not use the red loc-tite either
I think they are 5mm bolts so low strength loc-tite would be better
Just snug them up even till the bottom out and then just a little should be enough

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
When I put my Boyesen (RAD85F-2) on my 09 800r, I used new bolts with washers and always use blue loctite. IIRC, the stock bolts bottom out before securing the base of the reed cage...just be careful or you might end up with stripped threads. I think I purchased M5 screws about 1/8" shorter.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I put my Boyesen (RAD85F-2) on my 09 800r, I used new bolts with washers and always use blue loctite. IIRC, the stock bolts bottom out before securing the base of the reed cage...just be careful or you might end up with stripped threads. I think I purchased M5 screws about 1/8" shorter.
Yes, done already. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts