Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Really, really, really super-freakin'-cool Mem
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had my 96 mxz 583 rebuilt, and i've got a few questions. first, how long should i be takin it easy on the fresh motor?the dealer told me for 300 miles and the mechanic who rebuilt it told me for about an hour. which one is closer? second, my clutch doesnt engage until about 5000 rpm. is that normal, or does it need to be lower? third, my gas mileage sucks big-time. i figure im getting around 4 mpg. that cant be right, right? and lastly, im running Doo mineral oil in her. is this a good, safe oil and will it gum up my R.A.V.E.s? is R.A.V.E. cleaning something i can do at home, or should it be left to professionals? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Can't help you on motor and clutchs,but cleaning the raves is very easy. I'm only 17 and was worried about doing the same thing but it was easier then i had expected.

I have this link i can send you but i'm not on my computer so i can give it to you later on tonight. The link shows you how to disassemble the raves, as for cleaning them i let them soak in varsol for a few minutes then a rag to clean. use a razor blade to remove exhaust build up but make sure you do not scratch or make obstructions on it. and last i used a small wire brush to clean the rest of it.

Just remember how u toke it off, the link i have will show u any way.

Andrew

·
Really, really, really super-freakin'-cool Mem
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. pm w/that link later on if u get the chance. i'd appreciate it. anybody else?

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,885 Posts
It looks like you have already had it looked at
by a professional
If he was competent enough, don't you think he
would have addressed these issues?

As for breaking in the engine
Don.t let it idle
And ride it like you stole it!
Later

·
Registered
384 Posts
Gas milage is correct sorry, My 583 summit got 40 miles + or - a couple a tank, 10 gallons. After about 60 miles your broke in, stay below 3/4 throttal except for quick bursts. Burn your intire first tank of oil and gas.
RPMs are right 5000 is cool
Raves are easy take one side apart at a time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts