Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellas.
I made a slight mistake and forgot to fill my oil before a ride and... you know what happened next.
So I'm 99% sure I seized my 02 MXZ 700 because of a lack of oil (I still have to take a look at it)
But my question is what is normal procedure for a piston seize like this? Would you hone the cylinder, buy new, or what, I know I will probably be doing new rings, pistons, and seals. But after that I don't know what to do about the cylinders. If I had to buy new ones would they have to be honed?
Anyway, it's funny how it only snows when your engine blows! Got like a foot easy in 12 hours .
Thanks for any knowledge you guys are willing to share!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The bottom end can take a low/no oil situation quite a bit longer than the pistons can so you MAY be ok but you can only determine that by taking the top end apart and getting a good look at it. Not familiar with your engine but if it has iron cylinder liners any aluminum deposits can be removed with muriatic acid. Barring any deep gouges/grooves in the cylinders a quick hone with a ball hone should be all you need.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Have to tear it down to check out the cylinders. If they are scored bad then you will need to get replated ones....very light scoring can be honed with the proper hone for nikasil cylinders. Any aluminum deposits on the walls can be cleaned with muriatic acid if they are not too bad and compromised the plating.

If you pull the engine to doo the work I would recommend pulling the bottom end apart to inspect and replace isoflex grease and end seals....not that much more in materials/parts and more peace of mind having fresh seals on a 15 year old sled

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have finally gotten around to taking down my top end.
So from what I observe the crank seems to be moving smooth. However the left side cylinder (sitting on the sled looking at the engine) is scored and a bit pitted.
The other piston and cylinder seem to be in great shape. So the question is what would be the best option. would you get a new piston and cylinder on one side, or get both cylinders bored (or honed) and get 2 new pistons. I do of course intend to get new seals but beyond that, what next?
34c8027f9eb446f53987ab57fbe128bf.jpg

1520f2310ec8f53aba4796dbb8d65569.jpg

3d74140e69828eadf1259d3fde9371d9.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Are there iron liners in those cylinders? If they are you may be able to clean that aluminum off with muriatic acid and find the cylinder is still good. If this is a rider I wouldn't replace the other piston unless it us out of spec. You may get by with a replacement cylinder, new piston and some rings. The next question is why did this happen?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Where you go from here is up to you,15y/o sled, how many miles on it? Is it worth sinking some cash into it. It no doubt has high miles on it, you need at least one cylinder and one piston to patch it up. If you're wanting to make it dependable, you need both cylinders and both pistons, if you go that route you need to split the bottom case and at a minimum. Clean it thoroughly inspect the crank and crank bearings if its a high mileage motor a rebuilt crank may be in order. How much are you willing to spend and what do you expect from the finished product? Oh by the way pick up a case of oil, and fill the tank

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as for iron liners idk but I will look into it. This sled is a mod with m8 144 skid, fox clickers, boss seat, carbon fiber hood, etc. etc. So it has some chaching$ behind as it is. So yeah I do care about the thang. I will do some research on what was looked at last time this was rebuilt by the local skidoo (last owner had a busted coolant hose 15 hrs. ago). It may be that there was a crank inspection then. As for why it seized.... ahmmm, some idiot forgot oil (confirmed). But on the bright side I doubt that mistake will be made again anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Well, as for iron liners idk but I will look into it. This sled is a mod with m8 144 skid, fox clickers, boss seat, carbon fiber hood, etc. etc. So it has some chaching$ behind as it is. So yeah I do care about the thang. I will do some research on what was looked at last time this was rebuilt by the local skidoo (last owner had a busted coolant hose 15 hrs. ago). It may be that there was a crank inspection then. As for why it seized.... ahmmm, some idiot forgot oil (confirmed). But on the bright side I doubt that mistake will be made again anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
then it certainly is redoing right. No you don't have cast iron liners in it.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
There's aluminum smeared on the nikasil. Use a Q-tip dipped in muriatic acid to clean it. Don't breathe the smoke created and don't get it on any bare aluminum (it will eat it).

Reactions: TheBearAk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts