Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I curently ride a 2002 mxz 700 adranaline salt lake city with an mbrp race silncer and a 144 studs on the 1" track. I mainly ride trails and short drag races around 600-800ft. Im normally always finishing first with my 700 but would like to get on the rev chassis. The dealer has a 2003 mxz440 lc for $4000. Im not sure what i can get for my sled on a trade but im confident atleast $3000-$3500 as mine is mint with only 800 miles on it. The 440 is trail set up with 2000miles on it. Give me some reason why or why not i should or shouldnt make this trade.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry, I can't help. I have an 02 700 and a 2000 MXZX 440 as well. 440 is just a blast around town and for beating on. 700 for longer trips and for top speed. Corner to corner in tight trails 440 gets my vote.

·
Registered
527 Posts
torque, lightweight, holeshots, A BLAST.... yipeeeee

top speed, cornering in a smooth trail, long miles of flat lake running

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you like jumping and you are into the tight and twisties the 440 is the sled for you I ride a 05 440 I would'nt personally ride anything else. But I guess it all depends on what your into.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trails are ruff in some spots smooth in others. I aint real big on jumping but i do it sometimes. Flat 300-800ft run are my main game. I will be using it at the grass drags too if i get it in the 440 stock class wich is a 600ft run. Think i will like it or will i wish i stayed on the zx chassis 700?

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
If you like the flat out drag racing, stick with the 700. If you had a 600, I'd say you might like the upgrade to the REV chassis..... but not if you aren't big into jumping and off-trail playing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is jetting really picky on them? I am looking into trading a dirtbike on it to use it as a secondary sled then. Just for when the trail conditions get ruff.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
If you add a Tempaflow, the jetting doesn't take too much to get dialed in and then you can basically just ride the sled. There are alot of guys that love the Tempaflow, and apparently guys that don't like it for their own reasons. A 440X would be a great secondary play sled and would love the rough trails.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So without tempaflow how bad will the jetting be? Will i be changing it for every 10 degrees the temperature changes? I know almost nothing about jets in carbs but i learn quikly so alls i need is a good explanation and atleast a 10 degree difference before im changing jets.

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
I am looking at doing the same thing for next year.... getting myself a 440.. keeping the ZX chassis 700 for the wife..
like those guys said corner to corner and short drags are awesome... but for flat out speed i heard they top out somewhere around 90

TTT I wanna hear more.......

love

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
SkidooSteve12 said:
*COUGH*700cc/440X REV chassis*COUGH* = 1 [email protected]$$ Sled!!

[snapback]704656[/snapback]​
one thing at a time.... I was thinking more a 600HO and keeping the 700 complete (its a heritage model - so its different), seeing as most will say they are *COUGH*close*COUGH*(600HO & 700) anyways....

G

·
yeah, I'm in the same boat...just sold my 02 mxzx700....now i need a sled with real suspension, not something made for 8 year olds, hence the need for a 440....my main concern is will the rev fly and handle like my old 700 did?? I'm guessing it's gotta be worlds better, but i've never driven a rev, much less a 440 rev.....i could care less about top speed, premix etc, just need something where i don't have to slow down when bump/moguls start coming up ahead....my impression is that with some smart thinking and a little bit of work the litttle 440 could be made very trail friendly (and it would be great to make it pull and go machine like consumer sleds), so i say go for it....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didnt find out if it has oil injection yet but it is trail set up so im assuming it does, so the only other thing i would need to make it a pull and go sled is a tempa flow, right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
MXZxrider said:
I didnt find out if it has oil injection yet but it is trail set up so im assuming it does, so the only other thing i would need to make it a pull and go sled is a tempa flow, right?
[snapback]704887[/snapback]​
Depends on you riding temps but I have never tuned an air screw or rejetted since hitting the sweet spot and I run -20 to + 5 Deg C. I removed the cylinder head cover to check piston wash and things couldn't have been better. I don't run a tempa-flow because I don't need it.

The 03's carbs are vented to the air box and use a boost bottle. They are easy to tune and if you post a question on how to jet for your riding temps and elevation you will get lots of advise from proven set-ups.

I bought my 04 new and was a bit fussy to set up but once complete is a pull and go sled. It runs better than some sleds I run with and they are DMP'd and SDI'd. I have not changed or fouled plugs since perfecting my jetting in Jan 05. Use a little ISO in every tank, and a good quality synthetic oil at 33:1 to 40:1.

You'll love it once you're onto it and you'll leave the 6 and 700's in the dust on the rough stuff. The suspension rocks over consumer sleds but don't try to keep up the the big lads on the long straight lake runs.

Go for it before it's gone!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I am with Craig on this....the 440 is not overly touchy on jetting once you get it jetted once. With or without a Tempaflow.

The 440 does use up clutch springs and the '03 desperately needs a helix change and can benefit from a clutch kit. Dynamo Joe makes a wonderful kit...I would get it. I would demand to know exactly what is in the sled for clutching before you walk away with it. You must know the following:

Primary ramp.
Primary spring color.
Pin weight or at least the number of set screws in each arm.
Helix
Secondary spring and position (B-5 or A-4, etc)
Gearing

I would say the same for the jetting. Find out exactly what is in it. Knowing what you have is more than half the battle.

Main jets
Needle #
Clip position
pilot jet
air screw turns

If you don't know this information and you ever have a problem, you will have to tear everything down before anyone can really help you solve the problem. Second, if the dealer can't rattle this information off, then the sled really hasn't been prepped for trails and you are buying a mystery. Third, test ride the sled and make absolutely sure the sled hits 8500 on the tach when you pin it. Don't take the sled if it doesn't. I would make sure to hold the sled pinned and see if it maintains 8500 too. Lots of times it will hit 8500 and drop. This usually means bad parts in the driveline or maybe incorrect parts.

Good luck and try to get it for $3500. That is about the going rate for an '03. There is one in my town with 700 miles for $3300 right now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ok, here is my imput on the trails... The 600ho has great pull out of the hole and has a good top end... And the 440x's will go by it everytime until the 440 hits max at around i think 85ish (i only have a tach on the 440's so idk what they max at exactly). Can't beat it in the rough stuff or over some good jumps. But if your looking to drag race on the lakes... you might want to go with a Rev Chassis with a bigger motor. It's all riding style.

BTW MXZxrider, if you wanna trade in the dirtbike like you said... try them both out, and see what you prefer. then you can keep em both or get rid of one... but i think your gonna love the rev chassis

MXZxrider said:
Is jetting really picky on them? I am looking into trading a dirtbike on it to use it as a secondary sled then. Just for when the trail conditions get ruff.
[snapback]704496[/snapback]​

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i almost had a definate reason to buy the 440. I think my 700 almost cought fire. I smelled something after about 10 minutes of riding, im one of them hard throttle people, if it aint fully open it aint open at all. I pulled over, had smoke coming from the vent, up by the steering colum and everywere posible and what appeared to be the cuase of the smoke was the exhuast, seemed to be coming from every were on it including under the heatshield. At first i though maybe just some excess "form-a-gasket" burning up but it looked like it was coming from more than just the joining areas.

Back to my normal reasoning lakes are never in sight. There is a speed limit on the trails wich we follow most of the time. In my backyard i have a good 300ft run me and some friends like to race at alot. Then in the summer probly use it for grass drags (600' run against other 440's)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy cow this things got balls. Took it for a test ride today now when i go to talk deals with the dealer i am going to take the 440 out against a 2006 mxz800x and ride em back to back to compare wich one is the winner to go home with me. Of coarse if the dealer dont give me a good price for my sled none of them go home with me.
With the rush i got from riding that 440 today compared to my 700 i dont really think the 800 has a chance, i didnt expect that 440 to be such a quik machine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts