Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been playing with my suspension and just cant seem to get it dialed in to handl the rought trails. i have cudneys x package shocks which made a night and day difference over stock. here are some questions that may help me out.

!. i know adjusting the front skid shock will improve weight transfer but how does it affect the ride of the seld? does it in anyway effect ride quality. i have the spring tennission half way up. befor my next ride i am think of talking it to 3/4 of the way up.

2. i have my rear skid spring on the highest setting and the rear end seems afuuly soft. i am 6'1" and 240. should i be running a stiffer rear spring? seems like when i compress the rear suspension it dose not come back up all the way.

3. how can i tell if i have blown a shock. i am almost wondering if i blew the rear skid shock/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
saint1000 said:
ive been playing with my suspension and just cant seem to get it dialed in to handl the rought trails. i have cudneys x package shocks which made a night and day difference over stock. here are some questions that may help me out.

!. i know adjusting the front skid shock will improve weight transfer but how does it affect the ride of the seld? does it in anyway effect ride quality. i have the spring tennission half way up. befor my next ride i am think of talking it to 3/4 of the way up.

2. i have my rear skid spring on the highest setting and the rear end seems afuuly soft. i am 6'1" and 240. should i be running a stiffer rear spring? seems like when i compress the rear suspension it dose not come back up all the way.

3. how can i tell if i have blown a shock. i am almost wondering if i blew the rear skid shock/
[snapback]686168[/snapback]​
Hey Saint
Try this you might like the ride,I know I changed the rear suspension mounting points along with another one of my buddys did this to his 05 Mach and he loved the ride and so did I.The front of the rear skid is bolted to high in side the tunnel,so on the inside there is a hole in the inner bracket,just drill it through the tunnel.Its about a inch and a quarter lower out of the tunnel than stock.But before relocating the suspension in this hole you have to grind about a quarter of a inch off the rear alunimum rails.If you dont the track clips will rub on the rails,the suspension track tension has to be backed completly off.
When installing the front rails in the new drilled front holes the track tension will seem tight,but it is not,it will be fine there.Just snug up the tension bolts about a half a turn to align track.Next the front limiter straps will have to be tightened up about two holes,you want the front of the track and the back of the track to come off the ground about the same time, Or the back of the track to come off the ground first and then the front of the track to come off about a quarter of an inch latter.This will give you more track on the ground and most of all,TAKE ALL THE WEIGHT OFF THE FRONT END,This sled comes from factory with way to much weight on the front end,it seems every bump you hit you cringed about hitting cause the front end slams down knocking your fillings out.
This new setup will now allow you to ride those bumps with no worry about the front end bottoming out.I have my front shocks backed off to allmost the last softest setting and it works great.My buddy did this too and he cant beleive how nice this sled rides now.We all still have the old 05 shocks on it too.With this new suspension location you dont need the new X shocks for the front of the sled, but it still needs the X shocks on the rear of the sled.I find the rear of the sled bounces like the shocks are blowen out of it.The new adjustable shocks for the rear will allow you to adjust for more dampening to slow down the rebound on the rear skid,stopping the back of the sled bouncing uncontrolablly on the trails.
This has been my testing on the rear suspension and I find it great for riding,because last year with the suspension from factory rode so rough that the front end would slam so hard down all the time that my front bellypan shattered,I recomend this modification for anyone who would like there sled to ride softer and suck up some of those bump out there rather than knocking my bloody fillings out.Another factory may play in this but I have yet to see the down fall,is you may loose a few miles per hour in the top end,having the suspension out so far.But I havent noticed any loss yet.
This is my findings on this,And I know there will be someone to say differant about this modification,But I love the way this rides now,and I didnt have to spend $2000,00 on new shocks either,But like I was saying it could use the adjustable rear shock.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
I'm having the same problem w/ my 06 X. It's horrible in the bumps.... anything bigger than stutter bumps I nearly get killed. I've never had a sled so bad in the bumps. Hopefully, through some fine tuning there is a cure. If not, I'm going to an 800X.

Mine seems like it rebounds way too much and it's like bouncing off an trampoline... after hitting a big bump. I watched my buddy in front of me on his 600 HO X and it just sucked up the bumps. I know the mach isn't a bump sled.... but it shouldn't be as bad as it is.

I have the front ski springs in 1.5, track shock in the middle, I clicked the rear shock 2 or 3 past stock and the rear springs are on 4. Rear Transfer block set to 2 and front block stock..... limit straps are also stock.

3 questions.

1. What can I do to make this better in the bumps?
2. What effects buttoming or the rear more, the springs or rear shock cliker setting?
3. Does the front track shock effect ride quality in the bumps or just ski pressure???

HELP ME GUYS OR I'M GONNA GET HURT ON THIS THING.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have any pictures were you trimmed the rails down 1/4 of an inch? anyone else try this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Kirch said:
I'm having the same problem w/ my 06 X. It's horrible in the bumps.... anything bigger than stutter bumps I nearly get killed. I've never had a sled so bad in the bumps. Hopefully, through some fine tuning there is a cure. If not, I'm going to an 800X.

Mine seems like it rebounds way too much and it's like bouncing off an trampoline... after hitting a big bump. I watched my buddy in front of me on his 600 HO X and it just sucked up the bumps. I know the mach isn't a bump sled.... but it shouldn't be as bad as it is.

I have the front ski springs in 1.5, track shock in the middle, I clicked the rear shock 2 or 3 past stock and the rear springs are on 4. Rear Transfer block set to 2 and front block stock..... limit straps are also stock.

3 questions.

1. What can I do to make this better in the bumps?
2. What effects buttoming or the rear more, the springs or rear shock cliker setting?
3. Does the front track shock effect ride quality in the bumps or just ski pressure???

HELP ME GUYS OR I'M GONNA GET HURT ON THIS THING.
[snapback]686710[/snapback]​
I don't have an 06 but I would roll the rear blocks to 3 or 4-also adjust the rebound dampening in the clicker shock. More spring in the rear will make it rebound more so set the springs to your weight according to the chart in the owners manual and then start messing with shocks and blocks. Front shock does affect ride quality-you can only adjust spring pressure there though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
I'll try that. I put the rear on 4 due to it bottoming so bad. The clickers on the shock are a JOKE..... it's almost impossible to do it on the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
saint1000 said:
have any pictures were you trimmed the rails down 1/4 of an inch? anyone else try this
[snapback]686714[/snapback]​
I dont have any pics of the rails,but you just grind a little to stop the track clips from hitting,because the track tension has to be completely backed off.And so far there are two other I no of that did this two and I love the way this rides now.....Its like a hole new sled.Trust me you will like it.It dosnt hurt anything in the suspension and taking a little off the rear rails is no big deal it wont affect anything.I have been testing this for 400 miles of riding and I love it.I broke my back two years ago and now I can ride this mach more softer and better ride..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ANYBODY ELSE TRY MOVING the front suspension mount down? ill try anything to get this to ride better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
bump
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top