Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an opinion on the necessity of spending money on the purchase of the rear bumper. BRP says it increases the towing capacity from 300 to 1500 lbs. They label it as an essential purchase ! My beef is why don't they include it with the factory package if it's essential ? OK...I already know the answer to that !

We'll be hauling wood in a 6 foot sleigh. Do I risk bending or warping the snowmobile's frame if I don't have the rear bumper ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm looking for an opinion on the necessity of spending money on the purchase of the rear bumper. BRP says it increases the towing capacity from 300 to 1500 lbs. They label it as an essential purchase ! My beef is why don't they include it with the factory package if it's essential ? OK...I already know the answer to that !

We'll be hauling wood in a 6 foot sleigh. Do I risk bending or warping the snowmobile's frame if I don't have the rear bumper ?
BRP notes having the heavy duty bumper ADDS an additional 300 lbs towing capacity, UP TO 1,500 lbs (vs the stock/standard 1,200 lbs rating). Most folks won't need that extra 300 lbs towing capacity rating. The HD rear bumper does help by giving a more rigid, heavy-duty, rear bumper to help lift the rear end of the machine up, move, etc. So, in my opinion, unless you haul LOTS of gear, weight, and/or want that stouter bumper for lifting the machine, etc., or for attaching accessories, it is not necessary.

BRP: "Adds towing capacity of 300 lb (136 kg), up to 1,500 lb (680 kg) total."

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are right about the specs, I misread them. What you said makes sence and I tend to agree with you.

Reactions: A_laskan

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
The advantage of a bumper is that it gives you an easy place to lift from if you're using a hoist in the garage, it makes it easier to hook on a tow rope if you have to tow another sled, and it moves the attatchment point furthr back when hooking on to a sleigh, so that the pin won't destroy your snowflap.

Many people prefer to make their own bumper rather than buying one from BRP. It's easy to do, and much cheaper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, there is no convenient point from which to lift the sled from the back. I suspect BRP's are made of aluminium and integrate (extend) the hitch receiver. Not easy to do homemade without a couple hours of work and machining and still get something esthetic.

Your points are well taken...thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts