Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed more & more sleds with the rear axle outside wheels deleted and only using two inner wheels. Its a weight savings of course, but what are the other advantages or disadvantages, for doing this?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Ski-Doo? I'm sure you must be seeing serious off trail sleds.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
If your studded and ride the trails hard you are more prone to track derailment without them.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
4 wheels is always safest. 2 is least safe... And 3 is right in the middle. 3 does no good if you break off the wheel that has no inner wheel next to it.

Unless you're into sidehilling, I prefer 4 wheels.

Our last trip up north my cousin broke his outer wheel off that didn't have an inner wheel next to it. Took us a solid hour to remove the outer wheel from the other side and swap it. Using the bearing from the broken wheel as a spacer for the other outer wheel. It sucks using the cheap tool kit tools.

If he would have installed his 4th wheel kit... We could have just kept on going with no issues

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
And if you bust up one of the wheels you're kinda skewered. If you have 3 and bust one, you can make it home.
Ren sport with sc-5m only got the 2 wheels on the outside. Have ridden my home with only one wheel some 20 miles twice, no prob. Easy on the throttle thou.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Going to 2 wheels will lose top end mph. It increases rolling resistance and negates any loss of weight going to 2 wheels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Our last trip up north my cousin broke his outer wheel off that didn't have an inner wheel next to it. Took us a solid hour to remove the outer wheel from the other side and swap it. Using the bearing from the broken wheel as a spacer for the other outer wheel. It sucks using the cheap tool kit tools.
If he would have installed his 4th wheel kit... We could have just kept on going with no issues

If he would have installed a 4th wheel kit he would have noticed he had a bad wheel and replaced it before the trip .

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I have noticed it with some new sleds and guys that have extended their tracks and they have had zero issues. It seems to be more common place than a few years ago and was just curious.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Funny you asked that Question,started my Canada trip with four 9"wheels and ended with only 3 this week!!!!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
No outside wheels allows the track to bend over easier for carving and side hilling. Completely pointless for trail riding.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts