Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
121 - 140 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wouldn't say that I'm "anti EV", however I don't like the thought that in the near future I won't have a choice in the matter. It's not like governments have a history of saying "yeah, we screwed up, it's not as good as we thought it was", and push back the deadlines.

Now, please don't get me wrong and think I believe that in 100 years everyone will be driving around in V8 gas powered vehicles. As a good friend of mine once told me "we didn't stop using horses because we ran out of horses", something better came along. I fully believe that something better will come along, maybe it will be EV, or maybe it'll be something none of us have thought of yet. There are just people who live in remote areas of Canada that need to be able to drive long distances without having to refuel, or even take fuel with them. I'm sure our friend Labradorboy on here can attest to that fact.
It’s been years since I’ve done it but driving from Ontario to Alberta, I don’t think you’d want to be driving an electric car. Especially through Saskatchewan. I’m one of those people who barely have the patience to fill my truck up and gladly pay more for one of the only full service stations I know of that’s 30 seconds from my house. I also can’t sleep in a vehicle to save my life. I know there’s lots more people like me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For a short, grocery getter, commuter truck I think they did.

For a truck doing truck work not-so-much.
Only benefit I see is from my own experience. Working for a power line company. The foreman rarely get out of their 3/4 or 1 ton trucks and they idle all day for heat or AC or just let them idle because they don’t care. Working in a big city a 10 mile commute took around an hour in rush hour. With the price of fuel no in Canada I’m sure these guys burn 100$ of fuel a day.

·
Registered
468 Posts
back to the topic at hand.... EVs are like anything else that is new, there are early adopters and early dissenters. most change on a graph looks like a bell curve of early adopters at one end and late adopters at the other with the peak in the middle representing mass integration of the new idea
[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of EV but I guarantee there isn't a single tradesman on here (or anywhere for that matter) that would go back to corded tools.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
back to the topic at hand.... EVs are like anything else that is new, there are early adopters and early dissenters. most change on a graph looks like a bell curve of early adopters at one end and late adopters at the other with the peak in the middle representing mass integration of the new idea
Not a fan of EV but I guarantee there isn't a single tradesman on here (or anywhere for that matter) that would go back to corded tools.
[/QUOTE]
See post #87. 👍

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
FYI, I have tried this and it has not worked. Whatever encouraging notion I once had that could potentially make a difference in the easiest of problems to overcome such as recycling plastics and avoiding them ending up in the ocean, any hope has since been obliterated by outright lack of caring such as shown the video. So what possible reason do I have left to care if the majority believe it reflects reality?
The main thing is whatever you'll do its gonna be oblitarated by china/india growth...We are miles aways from where we were before....i.e just check the highway in QC... They were absolutly disgusting in the 90s....Things change for the best....Then who are we to tell the chiness and indian they cant have a second car ect ect....The adoption of so said green practice would go faster if it wasnt shoved down our throat.....now its gonna take twice the time cuz most technologies are just a big scam and not greener in the end...... Smart money they say....Too much politics....The moneys dont go into innovation but blatantly into corruption most fo the times

·
life is short, live long
33,155 Posts
The hybrid option is not an option in NYS starting in just 12 short model years. No ICE engine of any kind will be legal on anything smaller than a medium duty truck (like a single axle dump truck). Anything from a 1 ton truck all the way down to a weed eater cannot burn a fossil fuel.
That's not a maybe, the law is already on the books.
How is this supposed to be implemented?
Will current vehicles be grandfathered or do they have to be sold and removed from the state or crushed? How will it affect travelers?
I'm guessing it just means no more new sales after it goes into effect? I ask these seemingly stupid questions because I don't assume anything when it comes to government and how far the tree huggers will go....

·
life is short, live long
33,155 Posts
They won't take the old stuff but as the law is written now you cannot buy a new one - nothing.
You want a new 3/4 ton truck to run your business? Your ONLY choice is electric.
You want an 850 Etec in your new Renegade? Oops, sorry, not an option here in NY, not if you're buying new.
You need a new generator for your camp? Hahaha, better be getting some solar panels up, you're not buying a new gas generator.

Maybe you missed an earlier post about the guy at the farm show selling electric tractors. I won't give you all the laughable highlights but not only was it 40% more than it's diesel counterpart, it also won't take a charge below 32F. Yeah, that'll work real good on my snowblower.

I'm all for electrification, where it's practical and it makes sense.

My problem is, like every other gubment program, why does it have to be all or nothing? I firmly believe if this was market driven you'd see a nice mix of both ICE and electric, and I'd probably own both myself.
This answers my previous post.
No new sales, but will buying used from out of state and bringing it in be allowed? What about buying new and bringing it in? What about someone a few years after the ban goes into effect that has a brand new vehicle, generators, weed whackers, etc, and moves to NY, will they be allowed to register and use their property? Wondering how all this would be handled...

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Watched a video of someone being questioned about the EV topic. The person asking had been driving an EV for 10 years, and had solar panels for 15. He was not against EVs , he just felt the infrastructure was not close to supporting what is proposed. He also talked about the amount of power consumed to charge an EV compared to appliances.

For someone who does not have free charging at their work, without running any real numbers, I have a feeling owning an EV will not save any money for people. The high cost of the car, high cost of electricity to charge, I bet it would be cheaper driving an economical gas powered car, even with high gas prices. We got an email notice yesterday that our Hydro bill is expected to be 34% higher than normal, why? Not exactly sure as no explanation but the only thing I can see is because of running AC. At any rate, add charging one or two EVs and electrical bills are going to be huge.

·
life is short, live long
33,155 Posts
Lot's of interesting discussion here. If you think this subject is heated, wait until you are no longer allowed to drive your car on the road. Driverless cars are on the horizon
This is another thing that really has me stumped. Why does anybody need to let go of the wheel and allow the vehicle to drive itself? Why would the government even allow it? The government question is easily answered. Lobbyists have put money in the right pockets and sold it as a way for government to have another layer of control.
The government moves at a very slow pace so no one pays any attention to the gradual takeover and loss of freedom.

I will happily drive my vehicles until I die and not worry in the least about the future. I'm happy that I'm 64........

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only way I can see driverless cars working is if all cars can talk to each other kind of like airplanes with TCAS. Although, even with that technology we don't use it exclusively and still have someone, or more than one at the controls at all times.

I come from a very rural area and a lot of the time the lines are worn off of the pavement and you can't even get the lane keep assist in a CR-V to engage because it has nothing to follow. I'm not sure what the driverless vehicles use for guidance, but I find it hard to believe that the technology will be able to follow those backroads (some of which aren't even paved). The sad thing is most of these decisions are made by people who have never left the city, and can't even fathom a place with something like no cell service.

Another example is the South island of New Zealand which has many one lane bridges (with two way traffic), how does driverless decide who yields and who goes?

Anyway, I do look forward to a day when at least hybrid is a bit more affordable and will become a more appealing choice.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
This answers my previous post.
No new sales, but will buying used from out of state and bringing it in be allowed? What about buying new and bringing it in? What about someone a few years after the ban goes into effect that has a brand new vehicle, generators, weed whackers, etc, and moves to NY, will they be allowed to register and use their property? Wondering how all this would be handled...
Great questions, and ones that haven't been answered.

NYS has a history of ramming through stupid laws with zero research or regards of the consequences. Run it through now, make everybody feel good, then figure out the details later, which will then be handled by new regulations.

This is just another example in a long line of political idiocy this state is known for.

Just a few weeks ago the Supreme Court deemed some of our gun laws to be unconditional (shocker), the politicians in Albany called an "emergency session" and passed a bunch of new laws more restrictive than the ones that just got booted. But hey, the TV cameras were rolling and the feel good crowd was happy.
When questioned about the rationale and data supporting the new laws, the governor said, and I quote, "I don't need data".

Same logic currently has any new gas powered snowmobile illegal to sell in NYS starting in 2035, just 12 model years away.

·
"The Podiatrist"
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I’d be leery getting an electric car/truck for a few years until I see how this all shakes out, and the technology proves itself. Seen to many stories of fires. Here’s another one…

Connecticut Transit Replaces Electric Bus Fleet with Diesels Following Massive Battery Fire Connecticut Transit Replaces Electric Bus Fleet with Diesels Following Massive Battery Fire

Not that ice vehicles haven’t had some issues thru the years, but these EV’s don’t have enough appeal for me as of now.

I do have an e-bike that I really like…

·
Registered
30,661 Posts
The main thing is whatever you'll do its gonna be oblitarated by china/india growth...We are miles aways from where we were before....i.e just check the highway in QC... They were absolutly disgusting in the 90s....Things change for the best....Then who are we to tell the chiness and indian they cant have a second car ect ect....The adoption of so said green practice would go faster if it wasnt shoved down our throat.....now its gonna take twice the time cuz most technologies are just a big scam and not greener in the end...... Smart money they say....Too much politics....The moneys dont go into innovation but blatantly into corruption most fo the times
It is amazing how much electricity that Quebec exports to our neighbors. In the same 2019 year, China was exporting 21.66 billion KWh which sounds amazing until I consider that Quebec was exporting a whopping 25.9 TWh which is three more zeros! That is a HUGE amount of renewable power to be exporting.

What exactly are you referring to being shoved down our throat? I thought it might be EVs, but I will can run ICE (old or new) for the foreseeable future, so that cannot be it. Since I was responding to the video you posted on plastics, were you referring to the lowering the use of plastics? I personally do not understand what possible reason we have in Quebec to export/shove our plastic garbage down the throat of other countries. How can 8,5 million people allow this to happen???

I admittedly have the mental capacity that matches the low end of the average human, so my question is how much intellectual capacity is required to avoid dumping garbage into a blue bins that will end up crossing the oceans and will either get burnt in Asia or dumped into the ocean?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It is amazing how much electricity that Quebec exports to our neighbors. In the same 2019 year, China was exporting 21.66 billion KWh which sounds amazing until I consider that Quebec was exporting a whopping 25.9 TWh which is three more zeros! That is a HUGE amount of renewable power to be exporting.

What exactly are you referring to being shoved down our throat? I thought it might be EVs, but I will can run ICE (old or new) for the foreseeable future, so that cannot be it. Since I was responding to the video you posted on plastics, were you referring to the lowering the use of plastics? I personally do not understand what possible reason we have in Quebec to export/shove our plastic garbage down the throat of other countries. How can 8,5 million people allow this to happen???

I admittedly have the mental capacity that matches the low end of the average human, so my question is how much intellectual capacity is required to avoid dumping garbage into a blue bins that will end up crossing the oceans and will either get burnt in Asia or dumped into the ocean?
I wasnt talking about plastics, dosent take a huge I.Q to realize it cant be good to have nanoparticules of it EVERYWHERE including our bloodstream......But most of the green things (for us Quebecers read that as taxes) arent really green , they are scams....Like QC tramway , like the ecotaxe on electronics , like the tax on heavier vehicule , the carbon tax soon to be the nitrogen tax , the wind turbines all over my place , .. Just another way for politicians to steal our money.....i mean ...you know all that...they are killing the middle class right now...is it more important to live our life or sacrifice a part of it for the fu cking sake of saving the planet ....as G. Carlin was saying ...SAVING THE PLANET ?!%? the fu ck it dosent need our help....And for us Quebecers theres another layer to that...its seems its more important to live in french and be poor than speaking any other language....like the french was essential to life...god damn....As for wasting my time putting the trashes in the green bin , the recuperation into the blue one and the organic matter in the brown one.... Well most everything is trash so.... heavy trash in green one...paper as fire starter and organic matter in the compost....as simple as that...i got a piece of land , a sugar shack, a forest that i take care of and prairies aswell...i consider myself a real green person but i still need my ice engines....until the eletric take over....but its gonna take over using the old demand vs offer formula...not some regulation that wont allow sales of ice powered things after 2035..... ice powered stuff will vanish by itself once and if the electric catch over .....might happen in some domain..not all of them......

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts

On the plastics, keep in mind the same people pushing electric vehicles today are of the crowd that 50 years ago said paper bags were destroying the environment and we needed to go to plastic to save the world.

It's not about the environment, it's about the cash. Nothing but another be scam being portrayed as something it's not.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Very true, I can remember as a kid getting all our groceries in paper bags, anyone remember the “car order” where you groceries got put in a plastic box and wheeled away so you could get it put right into your trunk? Those paper bags fit perfectly in the bins. Now we are back to those same paper bags. Hmmmm. covid - curbside pick-up - they bring it right to your car! Wow thats new…not really.

I guess the re-usable bags are the best answer.

I bet a small panel of us normal guys on here could sit down and figure out better ways to “save the planet”. Stuff that just makes common sense and not driven by other agendas.

·
Super Moderator
31,779 Posts
121 - 140 of 221 Posts