Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts
I saw that - not too impressive. Just another example of how far we have to go for electric to take over.

Let's face it - the whole electric thing for full replacement is a scam. Yes, it has it's place, no it's not a 100% solution.

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts
It was also warm when that test was done - just think how much better it will be when it gets cold out. 😲

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I think all the EV threads end up with the same results, and will continue to. Sure they will continue to be more and more popular, but in such an upside down time in the economy and supply chain, it was dumb to put a date on a full EV take-over. Should have just said they would continue to and increase support of EVs, and push in that direction, while also pushing for increased sales of more fuel efficient ICE vehicles. Like I told my father today, it probably takes 2-3 Corollas like he drives to equal one full size truck or SUV as far as gas consumption. A lot of people could be driving more fuel efficient vehicles. Of course, some do need the truck or SUV. Many do not, and just drive them because they can.

Looking at Tesla prices, I won’t be driving one anytime soon. Probably a long waiting list even if I could afford one.

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts
^^^ The difference with this one is, for the first time, we have a thread reporting real world results.
Unfortunately those results are even worse than anyone expected. 😒

·
Registered
30,659 Posts
It is too bad the consumption wasn't shown for the 85 mile trip from Longmont to Castle Rock for the gas nor the electricity. Even though it was supposed to show a comparison in range and consumption, I imagine the point the video was to show the various products, Magna driver assist, GMC Denali Ultimate edition with 6.2L V8, Ford F150 Larriat Lighting fully electric, ATC Game Changer PRO 2015 trailer, Complete Trailers, and Sinclair pump station with Dinocare.

At least they gave a good idea of the range for the EV, and an estimated ~ $37 if it had been recharged to 100%, or 44¢ per mile. A full charge at my home would have cost me 18.5¢ per mile. The GMC Denali @ 8.96 mpg is 60¢ per mile, or for me with the same 91 @ $8 US gal would be 90¢ per mile. That's nearly 5 times the cost to burn gasoline!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is too bad the consumption wasn't shown for the 85 mile trip from Longmont to Castle Rock for the gas nor the electricity. Even though it was supposed to show a comparison in range and consumption, I imagine the point the video was to show the various products, Magna driver assist, GMC Denali Ultimate edition with 6.2L V8, Ford F150 Larriat Lighting fully electric, ATC Game Changer PRO 2015 trailer, Complete Trailers, and Sinclair pump station with Dinocare.

At least they gave a good idea of the range for the EV, and an estimated ~ $37 if it had been recharged to 100%, or 44¢ per mile. A full charge at my home would have cost me 18.5¢ per mile. The GMG Denali @ 8.96 mpg is 60¢ per mile, or for me with the same 91 @ $8 US gal would be 90¢ per mile. That's nearly 5 times the cost to burn gasoline!
great reply!really got to weigh the pros and cons! We ordered a Prius prime a couple months ago just on the cost to operate. It’s much smaller than what we’re replacing but it’ll do the same thing ie run kids around and commute to work. Based on fuel savings alone it’ll pay it’s payment. Will electric be better for every application, definitely not!
I’d love to see the Toyota give the Prime treatment to some tundras and tacomas, would be a great option!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
great reply!really got to weigh the pros and cons! We ordered a Prius prime a couple months ago just on the cost to operate. It’s much smaller than what we’re replacing but it’ll do the same thing ie run kids around and commute to work. Based on fuel savings alone it’ll pay it’s payment. Will electric be better for every application, definitely not!
I’d love to see the Toyota give the Prime treatment to some tundras and tacomas, would be a great option!
yep, i agree, Prime Tacoma would be great for me.

With the full electric, there are always early adaptors to everything, the technology has a long way to go, but it's at least being developed. The future will be interesting.

the video of them using the lightning up the Ike Gauntlet was entertaining. The power when towing with electric would be addicting. Just as long as you can always see your house. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been looking at Solar for an off grid cabin in the UP. The roadblock to the entire thing is the batteries. Panels are expensive but doable. Charge Controller - cheap, Inverter - Expensive if needing to run a water pump, dryer etc but doable. Now batteries, The cheapest solar batteries I have found are $5k per battery. I would need about 4 on the low end to make it a few days if weather is cloudy/snowy etc. Then replace them in 5-7 years depending. As far as I can tell it is cheaper to just go with old style led acid batteries and maintain them. Both solar companies also said the led acid batteries are actually much more environmentally friendly - who knew.

Solar/battery absolutely has it's place and I like it, but not for all vehicles, homes etc.

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts

At least they gave a good idea of the range for the EV, and an estimated ~ $37 if it had been recharged to 100%, or 44¢ per mile. A full charge at my home would have cost me 18.5¢ per mile. The GMC Denali @ 8.96 mpg is 60¢ per mile, or for me with the same 91 @ $8 US gal would be 90¢ per mile. That's nearly 5 times the cost to burn gasoline!
Wasn't the return trip figured in with the gasser? I'm pretty sure it was.

I'd also be curious to see how the GM did on 87 octane. While 91 is recommended, 87 is also acceptable. Just how much performance and/or MPG does that extra (almost) $1.00/gallon get you? My guess would be not enough to justify the added costs - I could be wrong.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
8.96 mpg? What are we driving here, a carbureted 454? Ok, I know pulling a trailer throws fuel mileage out the window, and trucks today have tons of power. However, why have trucks not gained more in fuel economy with all the technology involved on them today. Seems like in the 2000s trucks started getting more and more powerful but no better on gas than their 90s versions.

Comparatively with snowmobiles, if we compare a 600 Etec with a 90s 670, the Etec is so much better on gas, faster, all with less displacement. Anyone who has ridden in a group with both modern sleds and older, the difference in gas consumption is down right embarrassing. Just to say, why are some of todays vehicles not better on gas than they are?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
People forget that while economy hasn’t increased greatly, performance has.
I didn’t forget that at all, mentioned it actually. Is it right though that all the potential gains in fuel mileage are traded off for power? I know its nice to have the extra power, especially towing, but with todays gas prices, some more economy would be nice. I can’t even imagine the gas being spent today by people driving around pulling a big camper with it costing close to $200 to fill up. I just think they could be better than they are. I know otherwise they have come ahead by leaps and bounds. Why could sleds get more power while also getting dramatically better gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If certain groups weren't so whacko to push these onto everyone, they'd be more accepted. Instead they want to force it down our throats without any concern of the result. Fossil burning shouldn't be slowed down whatsoever until they have something that actually works. What we are doing now does nothing to help the environment.

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts
8.96 mpg? What are we driving here, a carbureted 454? Ok, I know pulling a trailer throws fuel mileage out the window, and trucks today have tons of power. However, why have trucks not gained more in fuel economy with all the technology involved on them today. Seems like in the 2000s trucks started getting more and more powerful but no better on gas than their 90s versions.

Comparatively with snowmobiles, if we compare a 600 Etec with a 90s 670, the Etec is so much better on gas, faster, all with less displacement. Anyone who has ridden in a group with both modern sleds and older, the difference in gas consumption is down right embarrassing. Just to say, why are some of todays vehicles not better on gas than they are?
Pulling anything kills MPG, that will never change.

I can put a ton of stones in the bed of my Super Duty and get 18 MPG driving down the highway.

Hook a trailer to it, regardless of size, and that drops to 11-12 at best, 8 at the worst.

It takes BTUs to move things. Gas, diesel, or electric doesn't matter. I think this test showed how few BTUs these electric trucks can store.

·
Super Moderator
31,776 Posts
People forget that while economy hasn’t increased greatly, performance has.
The added weight of all the safety stuff has hurt the MPGs too.

Back in 1985 I bought a new Pontiac Grand Am with the old Iron Duke 4 banger. I was stationed in DC at the time and made the trip back and forth about twice a month. I'd average around 39 MPG with that car on the highway, getting as much as 43 MPG one trip.

Funny side note;
I just looked it up, that car weighed in around 2,415 lbs (about the same as the original RX-1) and had a whopping 92hp. Wow...just wow.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If certain groups weren't so whacko to push these onto everyone, they'd be more accepted. Instead they want to force it down our throats without any concern of the result. Fossil burning shouldn't be slowed down whatsoever until they have something that actually works. What we are doing now does nothing to help the environment.
Just like vaccines.

·
Registered
846 Posts
One reason economy has dropped, especially with diesels, is all the emissions equipment they are adding to them. The more they add, the more economy, power and reliability suffers. Notice how it used to be global warming? Now it's climate change. That's because they've actually concluded that the earth's temperature has actually cooled 7/10 of a degree in the last decade. Makes you kinda wonder, doesn't it?

1 - 20 of 220 Posts