Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'll try not to sound biased here. This is a post about my experience with Dynamo^Joe's clutch mod.

Problem - my new '05 Summit 800 runs strong but seemed to lack punch when I'd hit the gas. On hill climbs and trails, when I'd try to accelerate hard, the RPM's would lag and have to catch up with demand. Other's who rode my new sled noticed this as well. While we're all impressed with the handling and everything associated with the REV chasis, there was great debate as to why the hesitation and power lag- I suspected the clutch.

If you think you might have this problem with your sled, read on.....

In researching clutches, I've heard the stories of hyperlite and team secondary with mixed results. A guy in my area had a new team secondary sitting on the shelf because he hated it. He spent alot of $ and time and could not "dial it in". If you look in the Ski doo Racing Manual, you'll see so many options in ramps, helix's, springs, and roller weights for my clutch that my thought is .... forget it! There's got to be a simpler way without spending $ experimenting. (Are you in the same boat as me here?)

I discovered Dynamo Joes and read the feedback on his clutches - they looked outstanding. Joe makes the argument that it's not how shinny the clutch looks, but what's inside (makes perfect sense to me). Joe responds promptly to emails and is a great guy to talk clutches with "up der in Tunderbay, eh!". And Joe offers a money back guarantee to back up his claim. I figured that if Joe spent all the time and $ playing around with the thousands of component combinations to come up with one combination that works - that's a huge savings to us if he knows the key - Right?

So I buy Joes kit (a primary spring and a secondary helix) and all the tools I need to disassemble the clutches. I purchased the '05 Ski doo Racing Manual - a must have. As far as tools, you'll need dealer slider shoes and clutch puller bolt, and you can make your own spring compressor using a long threaded rod, nuts, washers, and a 1.5"x4" angle iron piece (to compress the helix for removal/install) Joe is fantastic in answering Q's and helping you get the info you need to do the job right.

The result?

OUTSTANDING!!! My sled's a rocket! Especially on hills!!! When I hit the gas, the RPM's wake right up and that thing moves!! I mean MOVES!!! What a big performance improvement!!! When you go to Joes website (link is below), you can read the feedback - I will ditto them all. I will now say that this mod is the single best mod I made on my sled - period.

If your thinking about re-clutching your sled, check out Dynamo Joes S8X kit:

http://www.mxzx-revzone.com/

My only suggestion (Joe) is that an adjustable pin weight kit be included in your kit (so we can mess around with 17 to 22 grams). Overall a big Thanks Joe!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Dynamo^Joe said:
holy "edit for bad language" Tom you know how to make a guy choke up.....

Thanks for such nice thing to say.
And I been chewing over about adding pins to the kit, many tuners have them, well maybe then they can have a new set also. he he
[snapback]305411[/snapback]​
Joe I went to your web site and had a look at everything, looks great.

My girlfriends dad has been having a lot of clutching problems with his 04 800 151 and we are at a loss of words.

We have tried just about everything you can do to a team clutch to make it work and have had no luck...So i guess my question to you is what would you recommend. we ride @ about 10,000 ft. Anything would help out

Thank a bunch

Luke

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Dynamo^Joe said:
Hmm, well i am sorry to disapoint but im not offering anything with team for the time being...

Would love to help, but sorry.
Joey
[snapback]305475[/snapback]​
So all of your kits are for the stock secondary and primary?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Oh my god.
..cough...cough..Is that good...
...I cant wait to ride my S8X Gade now...Gone ride for sure tommorow...Wow...sleepless night for sure...

Joe!!! Dont forget to make a good clutch kit for my NEW sled (our secret)hehehe...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
ttabs said:
I'll try not to sound biased here. This is a post about my experience with Dynamo^Joe's clutch mod.

My only suggestion (Joe) is that an adjustable pin weight kit be included in your kit (so we can mess around with 17 to 22 grams). Overall a big Thanks Joe!!
[snapback]305335[/snapback]​
S6X & S8X kit includes:
1 primary spring
1 helix
1 pkg DALTONPRO Ultimate Stainless Pins
1 tuning manual
Am I missing something here? I ordered this kit assuming the adjustable pins were included?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
ttabs said:

[snapback]305335[/snapback]​
S6X & S8X kit includes:
1 primary spring
1 helix
1 pkg DALTONPRO Ultimate Stainless Pins
1 tuning manual
Am I missing something here? I ordered this kit assuming the adjustable pins were included?
[snapback]306063[/snapback]​
what elevation are you at because after reading the web site it looks like the kit will not come with pins if your over 3000 ft

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
If you ordered the kit for elevations then you don't need the daltonPROpins and I mean like above 3000' Rare to run over 19 grams, some run clicker 3 at 17g.

If you are sea level to around 3000 then yaaa, you'll need the pro pins as up to 15~1600 you would run 24.5 g, higher elevations lower flyweight.

If you mentioned summit to me in our correspondance then im sure we talked where and what elevations you ride at to get proper kit requirements.

I don't know your name, so you'd have to discuss this with me over a p.m. or a email.

Joey

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have Joe's S8X kit and I have the RKT 827 kit and I had to put in 25gram weights wo I could run at 7900 rpms. I was hole shotting everyone and his kit backshifts well in the powder also

Joe does a good job and great customer service

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
Kooter said:
I have Joe's S8X kit and I have the RKT 827 kit and I had to put in 25gram weights wo I could run at 7900 rpms. I was hole shotting everyone and his kit backshifts well in the powder also
Joe does a good job and great customer service
[snapback]323259[/snapback]​
Holy crappamoly Kooter...
What elevation you at again? he he
What clicker you on?
Thx
Joey

·
Registered
286 Posts
I too have joes kit in my 809 zx and I tell you I do a lot of testing ,clutching, and all that stock stuff
and his kit is by far the best bang for your buck. its like adding 15 h.p.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
Not to steal any of Joes thunder...which is well deserved BTW.

I can HELP with "other" issues with clutching like a TEAM or helping in the engine departmant to compliment Joes kits or any other combination you may have.

Sled head racing is a SUMMIT specialty shop- call for any details or help-BJ

·
Metalhead
9,088 Posts
I concur with BIG JOHN and promote anything John does.

Have lots of kit owners with BJ's Trail torquer kit.

Have some with the 830 kit and two gents with twin pipes running that kit...there is much slaying. heh heh... View attachment 16294

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does the 830 kit make a big difference in HP?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts