Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at these pictures. I opened up the side panel to change jets, and noticed the PTO side rave valve was literally dripping oil on the exhaust manifold. I last rode the sled 1 1/2 weeks ago and it ran perfect, except it was running a little rich. I opened it up to replace the 350 main jets with 330s (it was about 5 deg up in UP when I rode last and I didn't want to burn down), and saw the oil.
I pulled the plugs, and it is running rich, but was performing fine. Could this oil just be from the rich condition, or should I look into something else. Let me know what you think. BTW, the other side was clean as a whistle.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
This has happened to me also but your guess is a s good as mine but i would say you might be running a little rich.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
A dripping or leaking RAVE always means the seal is broken. You will need to completely disassemble (separate the bellows from the plastic center) and reseal the bellows. I would use some RTV or Driebond between the bellow and the plastic center.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I see so this leaking oil must effect the perfomance some but you just use that dribond and it should seal right up then.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
You must first completely clean the bellow (use carb cleaner) so the dreibond will stick. Also, inspect the bellow closely for rips or tears or holes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you were right Tom, I pulled the Rave and the diaphram was completely off of the plastic plunger(or whatever you call it). Looks like whoever last tightened the valve to the jug, must have messed up the spring seal, as it was off right next to the allen head bolts on either side.
I put copper RTV in the groove and re-assembled it. I plan on riding sat and sunday....hopefully it holds together.

Here is a question though. since the rave valve was totally leaking thru the bellows, what effect on performance will this have?? I would think that it would perform much better. Should I see a noticable improvement in performance??

Thanks again Tom...you are the man!

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is my same question? Mine is all fixed now but before the rebuild it leaked But now it rips even on the stock needles in my 04 i have the trail needles but when i got them my sled ran mint that day and still does so why change?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Thanks and I am glad you found the problem.

A RAVE that is leaking will not open fully and cause the engine to never make full power RPM. You probably won't notice much at the bottom end but midrange and full throttle operation should be greatly enhanced.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got it....after this weekend, I had to drop the clicker down from 4 to 3, it was over reving at 8800, I would assume due to the increase in power output!.. about 180 miles and no problems!!!

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts