Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the game for almost 20 years due to moving to Texas for work. Long story short, I've moved back North and have the bug again.

I am planning on buying a sled this week. Where I ride, studs are must to make me feel comfortable, as we spend a considerable amount of time on the lake. Everything I have read about the Rave matches my riding style perfectly (nimble, being able to lift skis, rough trails). However, I am deeply concerned about the posts I have read talking about the track hitting the tunnel ( especially with studs).

Locally I have a choice between the Lynx Rave and the Ski-Doo MXZ X-RS. Most of my riding is groomed trails, rough trails, and lake Gogebic.

Which sled would you choose if you were in my position? I really want the Rave but, I am concerned about studs damaging the tunnel.

If it matters, I am a bigger dude that weighs close to 300 pounds.

· Registered
3,315 Posts
The LYNX is very playful, handles the bumps better than any other sled imo, don't read to much into the studs hitting the protectors, it's way overblown, some have some haven't and there is a bulletin for those with issues, I would and will (24') buy another in a heartbeat

· Premium Member
2023 Lynx XTerrain 900R
1,139 Posts
I've been out of the game for almost 20 years due to moving to Texas for work. Long story short, I've moved back North and have the bug again.

I am planning on buying a sled this week. Where I ride, studs are must to make me feel comfortable, as we spend a considerable amount of time on the lake. Everything I have read about the Rave matches my riding style perfectly (nimble, being able to lift skis, rough trails). However, I am deeply concerned about the posts I have read talking about the track hitting the tunnel ( especially with studs).

Locally I have a choice between the Lynx Rave and the Ski-Doo MXZ X-RS. Most of my riding is groomed trails, rough trails, and lake Gogebic.

Which sled would you choose if you were in my position? I really want the Rave but, I am concerned about studs damaging the tunnel.

If it matters, I am a bigger dude that weighs close to 300 pounds.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the studs , but some people definitely have had some issues. I ran 1.6” studs with studboy backers on the 1.5 ice ripper for over 3000km last year without any issue. I made sure the track tension was on the tight side of spec and it seemed to do the trick

having not ridden in 20 years, I don’t really have a suggestion for you. Sleds 20 years ago were nothing like they are today. The rmotion skid in the xrs will blow you away with its trail ability, and the rave is really more for eating up garbage and driving around cat walking out of corners. I should mention that there is no easy way to ride a rave as you need to constantly move around and work for it on trails otherwise you’ll tip and push all over the place. An xrs will be much more planted and easier to not randomly drive into a tree

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn’t worry too much about the studs , but some people definitely have had some issues. I ran 1.6” studs with studboy backers on the 1.5 ice ripper for over 3000km last year without any issue. I made sure the track tension was on the tight side of spec and it seemed to do the trick

having not ridden in 20 years, I don’t really have a suggestion for you. Sleds 20 years ago were nothing like they are today. The rmotion skid in the xrs will blow you away with its trail ability, and the rave is really more for eating up garbage and driving around cat walking out of corners. I should mention that there is no easy way to ride a rave as you need to constantly move around and work for it on trails otherwise you’ll tip and push all over the place. An xrs will be much more planted and easier to not randomly drive into a tree
Thanks for the advice.

I rented a 600 Renegade last week. It was a blast but, I definitely want more. Maybe the 850 MXZ will suit me for now.

· Registered
111 Posts
As stated above dont worry about the tunnel protector issue on the Rave it is not what they have made it out to be. Doing conventianl studs will not hurt a thing on it. The Rave does require driver input but it handles great and being a bigger guy you will appreciate the suspension. My brother in law had not rode in years and he is 300lbs+ and he was blown away how hard he could ride it and not bottom out. He had rode alot but it was many years ago. You cant go wrong with either sled but you are considering to very diffrent sleds the MXZ will be great trail sled but the Rave is a great trail sled and you get the fun factor as an added bonus because its playfulness. But either sled is going to be very nice either way.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

· Registered
28,486 Posts
The LYNX is very playful, handles the bumps better than any other sled imo, don't read to much into the studs hitting the protectors, it's way overblown, some have some haven't and there is a bulletin for those with issues, I would and will (24') buy another in a heartbeat
I second this. 1100 miles last year in pretty icy crappy conditions with my Rave.

The 1.5 IR was fine. No issues with it hitting the protectors for me.

Sent from a Galaxy (S10) far, far away

Reactions: 3rdHonk

· Registered
370 Posts
I have BOTH Lynx Rave RE and an XRS 850 with Smart shox and 10.25" gauge!!.. I'm selling the XRS already (for the Xterain) the Lynx is more playful and makes me laugh when I ride it..

This is how I explained it to Wife:

“To be honest with you it’s boring with smart shocks. Don’t allow you to wheelie or have fun with it. Yes, it’s an absolute bullet on the trails and super fast but a little bit of a boring sled.

Kind of like a hot girl that just lies there on her back ..

NoW the Lynx Rave is that crazy older divorcee that just wants to get wild and dirty!”

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I called the dealer that had the Lynx Rave when I got off of work, to tell him I would be there tomorrow morning to purchase it. Bad news, it was sold.

I immediately called the dealer that had the MXZ X -RS and told him I wanted the sled. I offered a deposit and he said it wasn't needed.

My plan is to ride the MXZ for now and spring order the Rave.

Thanks again for everyone's input...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts