Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can't believe I did it. I ran my form500 out of oil. Wasn't thinking, didn't check and never saw the idiot light -- stupid.
It shut down on the trail. We filled the reservoir, poored some in the tank, and poored a little in each cylinder. Turned it over slowly a few times with the plugs out. Put new plugs in (the old ones were white) and it fired it back up. It ran fine for the 30 miles back to the trailer. No noticeable loss of power or performance, no overheating, no more issues. I haven't had a chance to look at it since. How much damage do you think I've done. Is it possible the sled shut down befroe any damage was done.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
its possible you have no engine damage. im not 100% on this, but im pretty sure there is a float type thing in the oil resovoir, and when you get down to a certain point, it kills the engine before any damage has/can occur.
id do a compression check to be sure, and if your still skeptical, pull the head and have a look inside.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A friend of mine did this on his '02 800. The dang oil light is so dim you can't see it well anyway.

But, same with his...after it freed up, we put a little oil in the cylinders, scavenged some oil from the rest of the group to put in the tank just to get it into town. It ran the next 300 miles of our saddle bag weekend without a hiccup and still was fast on the lake....then blew up on the following weekend trip. I think he got off with just a top end rebuild.

Good luck

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Damage is done! She was starved of oil, no matter how it runs now you put a crap load of wear on that motor. It might run for a week, month, whatever but you will end up reworking the motor sooner than expected. Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I've seen it too many times.

P.S. That little thingy in the oil tank is a switch that is used to turn on the oil low level lite. IT WILL NOT SHUT THE SLED DOWN DUE TO LOW OIL LEVEL !

·
Registered
44 Posts

Hi I'm new here, but I must say I really like this place! Seems like a lot of good reading and information!

Just a note on your oil situation, ........ my buddies always get a laugh at me cause I'm always topping off my oil every second fill up. It never goes down below 3/4.
I am a fanatic about it, but none of my sleds have ever run out, and as a matter of fact I had the last laugh this past weekend they had 2 blow ups due to recent oil run outs.

I wish you luck though!

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
You said it all in your title

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
gigax said:
Mechanic says the compression is 170 in both (seems high to me). No signs or sounds of damage, but he hasn't pulled the head. Going to look it over a little more and bleed the oil lines. He says run it.

All the guys in my group (including me -- normally) are phanatic about topping off the oil and are willing to take crap for being anal about it. I just screwed up -- big time.
[snapback]729967[/snapback]​
If your that phanatic about it, how did it happen? a full tank of oil is gonna last you a very long time. And if you havent checked your oil in that long of a time then you must not be that anal about it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That sucks, I know first hand i did it 2 weeks ago, i had a little oil left and thought hell ill run down to the lake for a quick ride, well i ended up getting a air pocket in the line and she let me know on the lake. Well i did the same thing tried to get it drunk on oil and hoped it would cure all the damage i knew i did, it didn't. The pto side had 120 psi and the mag side had 150, but it felt like it had lots of power cause i rode it around the yard. better safe than sorry i tore the 120 side down looked at the piston and cylinder...... it was for sure a lack of oil (since the bottom of the piston was scored below the ring). i ended up replacing the piston ring and in the end a new cylinder, then i tore the other side down and replaced that piston, just to be safe. it only cost 750.00 us if you do it all yourself.... My advice would be go threw it before you cause more damage like the crank...... just my opinion.... do it yourself its not that hard.... my first time and it went just fine, good luck to you

·
Registered
139 Posts
this reminds me of my buddy he is a fanatic about topping up h even goes around a tops up everyone elses sled in the group well last year he got coult up in topping up other sled that he for got his, well like you topic title says "stupid stupid stupid! " racing down a 2 mile canal BANG or what ever sound it makes (i was to far ahead to know) he snuffed the silenders. oh well its only money live and learn ( atlease it happend in April
)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts