Discussion Starter · #1 ·
darn RAIN!!!
Still have some snow for a base if it gets cold

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
We had hard rain today and it was thundering too

What little snow we had is nearly gone.

Then this weekend it will cool down....Lake Effect snow....so we will end up with a bunch of snow on top of mud again.

This winter bites.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Current temp here on the banks of Lake Huron...50 degrees !!!

This more then sucks !!!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
well...LAST DAY of warm weather here on the hill....After tommrow, its BELOW freezing and staying that way...with snow EVERYDAY according to the weather forcasts...we have 7'' of snow now, so mabye this rain will make it ice...who knows....bye bye

·
Registered
862 Posts
it looks like after tomorrows tropical weather we are going into a good freeze. Maybe winter will finally start after this. Wishful thinking I know.....

·
Registered
807 Posts
I feel for you guys,many a winter with zip for snow. Wish I could share some of this white gold with ya

Any snow in the forcast?

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Well we had 4 inchs of snow when I went to bed then it rained all night now we have grass, Man I can't beleave the water coming out of the Gulf
still raining

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow rain just turned to snow

·
Registered
8,072 Posts

yeahh, I feel for you guys wishing for snow. I've got about 2 + 1/2 feet in my yard...I can't even see my sled in the driveway from the house 'cause I've thrown the snow so high up on the bank.

I just wish it would warm up a few degrees so I didn't have to dress like the Michelin guy just to go for a trail ride.. -35 C today, with the NE wind blowing at about 20 kph it's -50 Celsius !!!

...try starting a sled in that !!

sorry, but I guess we all have something to complain about..

·
Elite Member
845 Posts
Here is the highly detailed snowmobiler specific weather forecast for the Southern Tug Hill riding area curtousy of the Penn Mountain weather man himself ... Riding Rich! (Rich is a weatherman for a local Utica news station and member of the Penn Mountain Snowmobile club)

Interesting mix of good news and bad news here to digest...

GOOD NEWS: Cold air hanging in much tougher today than I thought... granted it is above freezing and the snow and ice is melting, but not as fast. Time is now on our side... I'm hopefull we'll have something left of this to build on starting later tonight.

BAD NEWS: Once the warm air gets here, it will hit the base hard and fast. 60's in Western NY right now... There was a time I loved January weather like that, but it was long ago. I digress.. It may only be now a 4-8 hour window with this really warm (50+) stuff, gusty winds, and humid conditions, but it may be all that's needed for a wipeout. A chance we can save it, but a close call. Hopefully we can save it because...

GOOD NEWS: This front will bring the cold air first, then the precipitation. IE - Temps drop fast, then it starts to rain... It may be back into the 37-43 when it starts to rain, which is better than 55, and with temps falling fast, a good part of this could fall as SNOW!!! Calling this changeover is very tricky... being off by 2-3 hours could ruin it, BUT, I think the 1"-3" the NWS is going with is a safe bet. If it changes FAST and it's mostly snow... 3"-6" of wet snow is not out of the question. You've gotta hope for that because:

BAD NEWS: Just like Christmas, the lake effect parameters are not looking as favorable for a real blasting of our area and north... still enough for some snow and we will get some... but measuring in feet instead of inches looks less likely now as we are getting closer.

GOOD NEWS: We may get Lake Effect in Oneida County and on our trails immediately after this 1"-3" of snow Friday Morning, which may add some bonus inches, but it breaks down and hovers closer to the lake and further north by Saturday AM.

BAD NEWS: If we get the snow, say 6" worth and a little snow and ice left underneath... we ride probably for the holiday weekend but the trails get shot fast with the traffic, and we may not have enough lake stuff to groom...

GOOD NEWS: Unlike last weekend, it should be could enough to freeze things down, if not totally, mostly.

So I end on good news!

THINK SNOW!!!
I'm thinking it Rich!!!!!

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
Holy crap rain in January? It's -40c with the wind chill here in Winnipeg. Somewhere inbetween would be nice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts