Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 mxz 600 and was wondering what i could do to get top speed, only thing is I don't have studs, which I know I need...but I wanna see what this thing will do in the radar runs. I guess my question would be what can I do to the machine to get it ready. And what to do with the suspension. clickers etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not up to speed on the suspension under the '99, but basically you want as much transfer as possible out of the hole. Soften up your rear suspension as much as possible. It doesn't hurt to have a soft front suspension also. Basically, you want the rear of the sled to sit and lift the front. This will give you the best power transfer and help avoid track spin. If you had studs, you could stiffen the rear a little to put more power directly to the ground faster. Also, run your track as loose as you can with out it "hopping" on you. You don't want any slip, but don't want it too tight. This will also help in the transfer. Oh yeah, and obviously, at the start of the run, seat your track as best as possible. Keep you body as far back as possible, and hang on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you change the top sprocket in your chain case by going tto a bigger gear, it will have a higher top speed. You can usually go 1 tooth more or less without having to get a new chain, 2 teeth will require a new chain.
And depending on how long the run is, play with the spring tension on your driven clutch, a couple pounds lighter should be worth a few more mph on top end.
Also make sure your drive clutch clickers are set right, try to hit the spec top rpm without over reving. If you are over reving, you have missed some top speed someplace cuz your engine isn't working hard, its just spinning too fast.
Just remember that nothing is for free, whatever you change to make it go faster on top end, will have an effect on how fast it will accellerate out of the hole or out of a corner.
The trick is to find the right ballance for your sled, in the area where you ride, and for your style of riding.
Sometimes, a few small changes from the stock set-up can have a very big difference for your exact conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts