Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I attended my first radar run and was amazed at the results. You think you are riding a fast sled and then you see what people who know what they are doing get out of there machines.

For the record the race was 660'. They measured speed only, no ET's. These are some of the results I saw.

My 06 Gade 800X - 85mph (I geared mine down with 9 tooth drivers).
Friends 06 Gade 1000X - 89.8 mph
Fastest MachZ was an 06 with a light weight kid driving - 92.5 mph
Fastest 800 stock class machine (Polaris) looked bone stock and ran 94 mph
Fastest 700 stock class machine (Yamaha) looked stock but I doubt it was at 102 mph
Apex's were running 86-88 mph.
F-7's are fast. Some were at 88-90. Crossfires are not fast (80 mph). Not one came close to my 800 Gade. I guess the big track makes a difference.

I was blown away by how fast some machines were and by the hook up guys in the know were getting.

I saw an 03 800 Rev that looked stock except for being chained down in front run 111 mph in mod class.

I saw a prepared but supposedly stock Artic cat 370 fan run 77 mph with a kid on it.

Watching the mod triple Tcats and Machs run 120+ up to 136 mph is amazing. There was a monster horsepower Yamaha RX-1 Turbo race sled that bested at 121 mph. The crew looked disappointed.

How do you setup a trail sled for 660 or 1000'?
Can you add chisels or sharpened picks like these guys were using and still run your sled on the trail?
I'm planning on setting up an 05 MachZ for racing so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It is really hard to have a ice sled and a trail sled, unless you're willing to swap tracks, strap the suspension down, etc.

One thing you can doo is get modified carbide studs, which are a carbide studs that are sharpened to a point. Mix in chisels and you'll really notice a difference. The problem is though, you will have to replace or sharpen the chisels after trail riding, and the carbide studs doo eventually lose the point.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The only way to REALLY do this is swap the track. If you want to win at racing, you need to prepare ($$) for it.
I would suggest:

1. Buy a speed track and run about 75% steel ice picks and 25% chisels.
2. Clutch and gear for the appropriate length of race.
3. Tie down the front suspension properly.
4. TIe down the rear suspension properly, but make sure you are getting good hook with the wieght transfer.
5. Get a light rider!

Kevin

·
Registered
31 Posts
doesn't a speed track with chisels take you out of the stock class? i am running my first race this saturday and we are just clutching and tieing it down. any other suggestions? we are running 1000 stock i hope. if there is such a class. thats what we have anyways. if i got a boondocker box and jetted would that help or would it be a waste of time?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Usually stock class means stock motor. Unless the organizers have specific rules for this, you should be good to go. Anything you can doo to dial the sled in will help...........Test....Test.....and Test some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.