Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what rituals racers have for using the holeshot button at a race. I 'm racing my 2nd race this weekend and am not quit sure what to do. Do you hold the RPMS at 4k and hold the button for a few seconds? Any advice would be great. I also noticed the ski-doos don't make the put put noise like the other brands.

Another thing. . . when disconnecting the holeshot for trailriding do you disconnect from 2 wires going to the holeshot button. . . or from the plug w/ 3 leads. I've seen both done

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Here's the deal with the button. Hold the button and squeeze the throttle slowly until the tach reads 4500. The '05 will go over 4500 so hold it at 4500. If your sled is an '06 the rev limiter will maintain 4500. You should hold the button whenever the sled is not moving forward.

It makes no sense to use the button 15 minutes before you race. I would wait until the race before yours goes to the line. At that point, fire up your sled and spin the track and generally warm things up (30 seconds to a minute assuming the engine isn't stone cold). Then, start using the button. Hold it for 30 seconds or so and then release. Spin the track with short full throttle blasts. The tach should read 8400. If you hit 8000 and it stops, use the button and repeat. Once the sled hits 8400 it is ready.

Take the sled off the stand and hold the button continuously until they call you to pick your lane. Let off the button, let the motor clean up, ride the sled to your starting spot.

Depress the button and hold. Keep holding until the starter pans the line. Once his pans, get off the button immediately and roll the RPMs to just below engagment. Do this quick as there won't be much time. Keep one finger on the brake to reduce inching and pin it as soon as the flag moves.

It might take some practice to get off the button and on your starting RPM quickly, but it will reward you. Also, do not let the fact that few racers use the button this way sway you from doing it. You can feel sorry for them, but don't let their lack of knowledge stop you from using your button EXACTLY as outlined above.

Pipe temps win holeshots and any idling without the button cools the pipe as regular combustion gases are cooler than the gases created using the button and when they pass through the pipe they remove heat.

Good luck and maybe practice in the pits using the button and then getting to engagement RPM quickly. It takes the motor some time to clean out so get very familar with that amount of time so your sled is ready.

Good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fantastic advice, just what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Anyone have an idea of where to disconnect the holeshot button?. . . or maybe it doesn't matter which spot I disconnect it

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tom White said:
Here's the deal with the button. Hold the button and squeeze the throttle slowly until the tach reads 4500. The '05 will go over 4500 so hold it at 4500. If your sled is an '06 the rev limiter will maintain 4500. You should hold the button whenever the sled is not moving forward.

It makes no sense to use the button 15 minutes before you race. I would wait until the race before yours goes to the line. At that point, fire up your sled and spin the track and generally warm things up (30 seconds to a minute assuming the engine isn't stone cold). Then, start using the button. Hold it for 30 seconds or so and then release. Spin the track with short full throttle blasts. The tach should read 8400. If you hit 8000 and it stops, use the button and repeat. Once the sled hits 8400 it is ready.

Take the sled off the stand and hold the button continuously until they call you to pick your lane. Let off the button, let the motor clean up, ride the sled to your starting spot.

Depress the button and hold. Keep holding until the starter pans the line. Once his pans, get off the button immediately and roll the RPMs to just below engagment. Do this quick as there won't be much time. Keep one finger on the brake to reduce inching and pin it as soon as the flag moves.

It might take some practice to get off the button and on your starting RPM quickly, but it will reward you. Also, do not let the fact that few racers use the button this way sway you from doing it. You can feel sorry for them, but don't let their lack of knowledge stop you from using your button EXACTLY as outlined above.

Pipe temps win holeshots and any idling without the button cools the pipe as regular combustion gases are cooler than the gases created using the button and when they pass through the pipe they remove heat.

Good luck and maybe practice in the pits using the button and then getting to engagement RPM quickly. It takes the motor some time to clean out so get very familar with that amount of time so your sled is ready.

Good luck
[snapback]721909[/snapback]​
the 04 even rev over 4500, usually around 5200!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to say thanks again for the info, came in very handy this weekend. Just need to get ahold of a good race stand. . . Any one know of a used one or good place to buy 1 or 2? I thik I'm hooked on racin now since it's the only way I'm gonna put miles on my sled in MN ha.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Easy move makes the best one. It is all aluminum and has an easy lever lift action. I think the website is www.easymove.com. Be sure to get the side and back shields. I believe they cost $150 or so.

I have a steel one with aluminum shields, but it is the foot pedal style. It works OK, but is definitely not as good as the easy move. I would sell it cheap though. Let me know if you have any interest.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.