Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I think it has more to do with not having a race director. I don't believe they've hire one yet. I'm not sure what they are waiting for?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Cancelling race school is not about running out on racers or due to a lack of race directors. The decision to drop the school this year was based on budget. It costs thousands of dollars to put the school on and Marcel (acting director) would rather use that money to assist current racers. It boiled down to simple math. In a shrinking market (snow-x racing) and with a shrinking budget.......cuts have to be made.

On the plus side, we here on Dootalk can pretty much share information as well as the race school did it. I feel for the guys that are not Dootalkers though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cancelling race school is not about running out on racers or due to a lack of race directors. The decision to drop the school this year was based on budget. It costs thousands of dollars to put the school on and Marcel (acting director) would rather use that money to assist current racers. It boiled down to simple math. In a shrinking market (snow-x racing) and with a shrinking budget.......cuts have to be made.

On the plus side, we here on Dootalk can pretty much share information as well as the race school did it. I feel for the guys that are not Dootalkers though.
Since I started riding Ski Doo this website has provided me a TON of information!!

·
Registered
332 Posts

What was race school like? Was it like a advanced tutoring session with your sled on the track? Did it go over in detail the changes made to the race sled etc?

Probably a stupid question but I'm just curious. Also would there be any viable alternatives or a different direction to go all together for someone looking to get started in racing?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Race school is a class room setting. Doo hires an independant instructor so they get around the EPA laws which disallow Doo to tell you how to jet your sled. The Doo engineers are in the room and will answer your questions, but they do not deliver the classroom material.

The school in one day long and it covers the changes for the new model year, set ups for clutching and jetting, suspension tuning and shock rebuilding, training and diet and general sled information you most likely already know.

If you are thinking of getting into racing there are 3 big things to do.

#1) Get started. This is the most important step. Most just think about it.

#2) Get a real race sled. No trail sleds will work for snow-x. Buy the best used one you can afford and if you can, buy one from someone that already has it clutched, studded, skis on it and jetted. Learn all you can from the seller about the fuel he ran, set up changes, etc. Definitely try to buy the sled from a snow-x racer. A racer's sled might look beat up, but at least it will be set up and ready to rock.

#3) Make sure you have a trailer to stay warm in (heat, lights, chairs, food, water and tools). Also make sure you have the best safety equipment you can afford. If you can afford knee braces and a neck brace.....get them. If you can't afford a neck brace, wear a foam neck noodle.

There are other things to help you get started and you can do a search on this forum and find many threads on it. Remember.......get started!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Race school is a class room setting. Doo hires an independant instructor so they get around the EPA laws which disallow Doo to tell you how to jet your sled. The Doo engineers are in the room and will answer your questions, but they do not deliver the classroom material.

The school in one day long and it covers the changes for the new model year, set ups for clutching and jetting, suspension tuning and shock rebuilding, training and diet and general sled information you most likely already know.

If you are thinking of getting into racing there are 3 big things to do.

#1) Get started. This is the most important step. Most just think about it.

#2) Get a real race sled. No trail sleds will work for snow-x. Buy the best used one you can afford and if you can, buy one from someone that already has it clutched, studded, skis on it and jetted. Learn all you can from the seller about the fuel he ran, set up changes, etc. Definitely try to buy the sled from a snow-x racer. A racer's sled might look beat up, but at least it will be set up and ready to rock.

#3) Make sure you have a trailer to stay warm in (heat, lights, chairs, food, water and tools). Also make sure you have the best safety equipment you can afford. If you can afford knee braces and a neck brace.....get them. If you can't afford a neck brace, wear a foam neck noodle.

There are other things to help you get started and you can do a search on this forum and find many threads on it. Remember.......get started!
Great advice, thank you very much.

I have a completely stock 2011 rs, this sled will still need to be re-jetted and clutched?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The 2011 was an excellent snow-x sled. This is what I would do to prep it......................

#1) replace the stock skis. C&A XTX's are a good choice. If you are a smaller dude the Razor is far easier to turn and makes the sled feel super light on the track.

#2) Jet the sled with a 230 main on the PTO side and a 220 main on the MAG side.

#3) Run race gas (110 octane) mixed with 87 pump gas at 2.8 gallons of 87 and 2.2 gallons of 110 to arrive at 97 octane. You can screw this up a little and end up at a higher octane, but try to always hit above 96. Octane lower than 96 lost power in my tests. Octane higher than 97 was just fine....but you don't need to spend more money and go higher than 97.

#4) The stock clutching on the 2011 is pretty good. I would not change it a whole lot if I were you. I would suggest minor changes though. I would replace the primary spring with a White/Silver (417 222 164) and add a little pin weight so the pin weighs 17.5 to 18.3. Each sled is a little different so you will have to experiment. Make sure the max rpm is not higher than 8500.....maybe 8600 at the absolute max. Run the TRA in #5. I would suggest 64/42(.40) side of the helix with the stock Black/White spring. This will be a good all around set up and still rock very nicely.

#5) Mix your gas at 32:1 with oil. Run the air screw at 1 turn open for most condtions. I found the sled liked Amsoil Dominator or Doo XPS syn/mineral blend (black bottle).

Good luck. Have fun. Make some friends and contacts in the pits. Don't be a dink on the track. Offer to help others. Ride aggresive, but ride like the competitors are your buddies......push them hard, but be smiling in your helmet. Admit your mistakes and be the first to apologize. Never make a competitor come to you with a gripe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The 2011 was an excellent snow-x sled. This is what I would do to prep it......................

#1) replace the stock skis. C&A XTX's are a good choice. If you are a smaller dude the Razor is far easier to turn and makes the sled feel super light on the track.

#2) Jet the sled with a 230 main on the PTO side and a 220 main on the MAG side.

#3) Run race gas (110 octane) mixed with 87 pump gas at 2.8 gallons of 87 and 2.2 gallons of 110 to arrive at 97 octane. You can screw this up a little and end up at a higher octane, but try to always hit above 96. Octane lower than 96 lost power in my tests. Octane higher than 97 was just fine....but you don't need to spend more money and go higher than 97.

#4) The stock clutching on the 2011 is pretty good. I would not change it a whole lot if I were you. I would suggest minor changes though. I would replace the primary spring with a White/Silver (417 222 164) and add a little pin weight so the pin weighs 17.5 to 18.3. Each sled is a little different so you will have to experiment. Make sure the max rpm is not higher than 8500.....maybe 8600 at the absolute max. Run the TRA in #5. I would suggest 64/42(.40) side of the helix with the stock Black/White spring. This will be a good all around set up and still rock very nicely.

#5) Mix your gas at 32:1 with oil. Run the air screw at 1 turn open for most condtions. I found the sled liked Amsoil Dominator or Doo XPS syn/mineral blend (black bottle).

Good luck. Have fun. Make some friends and contacts in the pits. Don't be a dink on the track. Offer to help others. Ride aggresive, but ride like the competitors are your buddies......push them hard, but be smiling in your helmet. Admit your mistakes and be the first to apologize. Never make a competitor come to you with a gripe.
Great advice Mr. White

1 - 12 of 12 Posts