Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yes tighter is less catwalk, less trench

Mine was stock, think hole three

And with a 163 was like it was a 146

Tightened up one hole and it made it way better, but still catwalks if u want too

sent while I should be drinking tea's

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I was in some really deep fresh snow last weekend and it was trenching really bad. I pulled the limiter strap in 1 from stock and would say I noticed a small improvement but certainly not "way better". I just ordered some of Toms Powder Wedges after doing a ton of research. Dn't expect a huge improvement but hopefully the combination will be enough...

·
Registered
79 Posts
You know years ago we let the limiter straps all the way out.It was easy on the old summit like my old one to the left,just turn the knob.You wanted the front end to come out of the snow so it wouldnt plow.Not to good on the trail but it was a mountain machine.I do get the business with all this trenching,but arent they supposed to leave a trench haha?My 2014 163 came with the limiter on the 3rd hole to which i rode most of the year.We have had alot of snow this year.On the last ride I decided to let the limiter out to the 4th hole.Again another huge snow day.I think it worked better myself.I used the first part of the year to get the handle on the machine and now can control it well with the limiter in this position.I would think you want more track in the snow?It just makes sense.You want the front of the skid lower than the back so under power the front lifts up and wont plow??at least in the super deep?I dont know maybe just the old way of thinking i guess.Try different things i guess is what i am trying to say.That is what i really like about the skidoos over my old cat,lots of adjustments.Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure my memory was correct. I let the strap out early in the year because I didn't like all of the ski pressure. It certainly handled better, but was trenching a lot more. Trying to figure out if it's just user error...

Cool vid Wayn! It certainly made me feel a little better seeing you trench that big 163...jk....

·
Registered
268 Posts
different sled, but my 08 XP works way better with the strap all the way out. Less trenching, better side hilling, better climbing than my buddies M1000. I also located the scissors back 1.25" and the front shock is moved forward 1'. Sucks on trail for sure, but don't care.

·
Registered
199 Posts
different sled, but my 08 XP works way better with the strap all the way out. Less trenching, better side hilling, better climbing than my buddies M1000. I also located the scissors back 1.25" and the front shock is moved forward 1'. Sucks on trail for sure, but don't care.
Same here with my 09. Put in a 2010 skid, relocated scissor and strap all the way out. Rides way better now

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The goal to lessen trenching is to keep the nose down but not create a lot of ski pressure either.

Sometimes shortening the limiter will have the opposite effect (especially 08-09 XP!). Sometimes shortening the strap will place more of the load on the rear skid springs, and if those springs are marginal (stock 08-09xp), the result is the rear collapses easier and you end up with more ski lift than you had with the limiter all the way out. Experiment with all the settings to find out what works best for YOU, your weight, the way you ride etc...

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, there was definitely more ski pressure with the strap pulled in one notch, but I was still trenching. Not as much, but I feel like I still have some tweaking to do...I've got the T-motion installed, no flex edge, no sway bar, center shock is on second tightest setting, front shots are tightened up. I'm about 240 lbs without gear. Never stood on the scale with my helmet on thought. It's tough to differentiate setup versus user error too....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I,m having the same problem i have a 08 summit! Sort of mixed answers here so should i let the limiter strap out or pull it in? If you have more ski pressure will there be a more linear feel when you pull the sled over on its side?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Well, there was definitely more ski pressure with the strap pulled in one notch, but I was still trenching. Not as much, but I feel like I still have some tweaking to do...I've got the T-motion installed, no flex edge, no sway bar, center shock is on second tightest setting, front shots are tightened up. I'm about 240 lbs without gear. Never stood on the scale with my helmet on thought. It's tough to differentiate setup versus user error too....
being 240 that front shock should be all of the way tight. I run mine all of the way stiff and im 165 without gear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts