Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a hard time justifying the extra price for two etecs bought new in 09'.. Just did some quick math. At $4.00 a gallon for gas (average over the past 3 seasons) 7,000mi. on each sled, average 22mpg . Gasoline savings alone = $2,500.00 (our old 550 fan got 11mpg). Burning half the injector oil at $40.00 a gallon = another $560.00 saved in injector oil for a total savings of over $3,000.00 over three seasons w/ two sleds.. Yeah, it was worth it to get the etecs!

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Ha ha... I like your math.

For me it was just the opposite, 700 or 800 miles on each sled a season, mostly cross country so my miles per day day aren't big. And I ride one sled one day or weekend and another another ... Thus it doesn't or didn't pay, the Etec is loosing it's DI enjectors, getting bigger cylinders and going back to carbs.. It did get great fuel and oil mileage; but is not yet my thing and the 600 was not enough and the 800 is too much... so ones got to make his own.

Probably should have purchased an RS to start with and just soften the shocks.

Cool that you recovered some of your expenses...

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can sympathize with the injector paranoia.. I have that too but at this point if either etec goes down this winter I won't be too upset. I'd like to get 10,000mi. on each sled before trading but I'll be holding my breath all this riding season.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
I can sympathize with the injector paranoia.. I have that too but at this point if either etec goes down this winter I won't be too upset. I'd like to get 10,000mi. on each sled before trading but I'll be holding my breath all this riding season.
I hear you, I suspect as long as you keep the fuel filters clean and just ride em with good fuel, you will be fine. You have certainly done well so far. I wonder if a fuel pressure gauge would give one more security, knowing that the out put it there. hmmmm Ha ha.... I would just keep on keeping on with what you are doing!

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know machZ riders that swear by fuel pressure guages. Still, if you are lucky enough to be monitoring the guage when the pressure drops and get it shut down, you're still stuck in the woods, albiet with a "good" engine.

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
That's pretty cool...Course most folks don't put on 7K miles in just 3 seasons. That and you're using summer gas prices, gas is usually cheaper in the winter. The last couple years around here it's been 2 something a gallon. Course I suppose it can be pretty spendy if you're buying it in really remote locations, that 2 something is for a normal gas station. That and most folks don't run the fully synthetic / spendy oil unless they have an E-Tec...

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I could find "two something" dollar gasoline, anywhere, anytime of the year, I'd buy a few thousand gallons of it.
I just switched to doo full synthetic from doo semi synthetic last season. I'm hoping to see less gumming up of the RAVE'S. Yeah, it's expensive but in the grand scheme of things, not really. I know, I know, it's stupid to try and justify anything about this sport. My point was simply that after 3 seasons, the extra cost of the etec engines worked in my favor. If I get stuck in the woods this winter and have to buy a new engine/sled... Oh well, I'll just put it on my credit card and stamp "deceased" on the bill when it arrives.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you ride hard most of the time there is not much difference in fuel and oil consumption PTEK vs ETEC. I know this for certain. If you ride like conservatively the gains are true. IMO...

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
So that's $1500.00 a sled. How much more is an E-Tec over a carbed model? I'm sure your re-sale will be higher. You could've saved more money with a Yamaha, you would've hated ever one of those 7000 miles, but you could've save a twenty spot, lol. So i wonder how the Ace would figure in to this? Kicking myself a little, with the 11 mpg 550 fan.(vs the Ace) Love the sled, but dang, the fuel, it adds up!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Had a hard time justifying the extra price for two etecs bought new in 09'.. Just did some quick math. At $4.00 a gallon for gas (average over the past 3 seasons) 7,000mi. on each sled, average 22mpg . Gasoline savings alone = $2,500.00 (our old 550 fan got 11mpg). Burning half the injector oil at $40.00 a gallon = another $560.00 saved in injector oil for a total savings of over $3,000.00 over three seasons w/ two sleds.. Yeah, it was worth it to get the etecs!
Glad your 600s worked out to your advantage tic.

I will have to say that I am quite dissappointed in my 800e for it's "oil sipping technology". My average cruise speed is around 7000 rpm in the straights and gently rolling the throttle in and out in the corners. The best I can do is a 37:1 fuel/oil ratio with a 15 mpg average. When I run it hard it gets around 30:1. This engine uses more oil than any other 2 stroke I have ever had. Had I known that before I ordered I probably would not have gotten the etec. IMO the cost is not justified for the 800s.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I am new to the E-tec.Can the oil cable be adjusted on these or is it all computer stuff?

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
Glad your 600s worked out to your advantage tic.

I will have to say that I am quite dissappointed in my 800e for it's "oil sipping technology". My average cruise speed is around 7000 rpm in the straights and gently rolling the throttle in and out in the corners. The best I can do is a 37:1 fuel/oil ratio with a 15 mpg average. When I run it hard it gets around 30:1. This engine uses more oil than any other 2 stroke I have ever had. Had I known that before I ordered I probably would not have gotten the etec. IMO the cost is not justified for the 800s.
Have your dealer pull a report from your ECU with the BUDs system....One other guy on here last year had excessive oil consumption even after break-in and they gave him a different ECU under warranty....

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i like ur math thats why i'm snow checking one this spring

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't remember exactly but I believe the etec engine was an $1,100.00 option. I have read that most of the 800 etecs are hard on injector oil. The 600's seem to deliver as advertised. You guys with the 800's, when using that much oil, is there smoke and smell?. You'd think there'd have to be ! I'd love an 800 etec but I'm spoiled by how good the 600's have been. Can't wait to see if our etecs make it through another season.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW, my wife LOVED her 550 fan. It was fun to ride and no low snow overheating worries. She rarely goes over 50mph. That would be the ideal engine if it got better mileage. It's not even so much about the cost of gas but the lack of range was a bummer.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have your dealer pull a report from your ECU with the BUDs system....One other guy on here last year had excessive oil consumption even after break-in and they gave him a different ECU under warranty....
My sled was on BUDs last year from me complaining about the oil useage not changing much from break-in period. Supposedly nothing wrong? I am just bummed that it only gets 50% of what was advertised at the time I ordered it. Aside from the oil usage I am happy with the sled. It runs flawless in temps under 25* F and I put 5000 awsome miles on last year.
Hoping to get another good year!

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I think they had the etec as a 2008.5 in the XP but I'm glad I did NOT buy the first year 08' XP. Still, the etec had no history in a sled so it was (and might still be) a gamble.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't remember exactly but I believe the etec engine was an $1,100.00 option. I have read that most of the 800 etecs are hard on injector oil. The 600's seem to deliver as advertised. You guys with the 800's, when using that much oil, is there smoke and smell?. You'd think there'd have to be ! I'd love an 800 etec but I'm spoiled by how good the 600's have been. Can't wait to see if our etecs make it through another season.
Yeah my sled smokes. Not horrible, no big cloud, but you can see blue rolling by when pulling up to a stop sign and during warm-up. It leaves a black spot in the snow when idling for a minute and my eyes do burn sometimes. Definitely not a big fan of the XPS, but with 4 years of warrenty I'll keep buying it so maybe they won't fight me if it has to go in.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I would not hesitate to get a 600 etec based on how it has performed since its intro. Jury is still out on the 8 etec.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts