Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
True happiness is never trying a sled better than
14,562 Posts
Why not try using the search function and doing some reading.There is a wealth of information in past threads that will help you with every question you may have.I try not to skip too much but it's not hard as long as your aware of the possible down side.Nothing good or cheap happens when you sink.If your thinking summer time fun you need to set your sled up for that purpose.

·
life is short, live long
33,345 Posts
First few times go wide open and straight. After you get a little used to it you can play with the throttle and get a feel for it. Sleds stay up pretty well and the more you do it the more fun you will have. Never loose respect for it and make sure your sled is running 100%. Good luck and a little common sense and fear of not making it should keep you afloat.

Reactions: Typaakola

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First few times go wide open and straight. After you get a little used to it you can play with the throttle and get a feel for it. Sleds stay up pretty well and the more you do it the more fun you will have. Never loose respect for it and make sure your sled is running 100%. Good luck and a little common sense and fear of not making it should keep you afloat.
Thanks!

·
Winter Activist
1,271 Posts
First few times do exactly as sleddingisfun said. What ever you do dont get cocky, You will sink ahah it happened to me just not on my sled! Tighten your limiter strap as tight as it can go and make sure there is no play in your track. seat off is the most obvious. Dont skip where its too deep it will be a pain getting it out. If you are going down dont try and hold the throttle, rip the tether out as fast as you can to kill all power. take lots of videos!

·
super duper advanced member
1,367 Posts
When you do sink, hit the kill switch as soon as you start going down. After you yank it out of the drink pull the plugs and pull the recoil rope 50 or so times till all the water stops spitting out of the holes, dry off plugs, re start and try again. Also dont go in with a full tank of fuel in case you get water in there and have to dump it all out. This is one place where I think isoflex crank bearings are a plus.

·
Registered
‘21XRS850/‘15Pro-S 8/‘15 ZR 8 RR
461 Posts
All great advise posted. Use an empty gallon oil jug tied with long enough rope for depth of water tied to spindle or rear bumper, di-electric grease all wire connections, take seat off, put lifevest on and do not stop.

And as Hudson Hawk once said "To turn left, you will find yourself turning right" or something like that, been a while since we watched the vid.

·
Hooning 24/7
4,409 Posts
When turning if your going to at all same property as boondocking on snow. To go left turn skis right lean left etc. Take it easy turning though. If you turn too hard the back end of the sled can slide out and your gonna go down or it's gonna catch the water and your gonna get skipped like a stone. Seen it happen a few times lol.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Make sure you seal up any cracks/holes, it's a bad feeling when you're going across water and you belt starts slipping 1/2 way across. If you're doing it in the winter/spring its better if you can find a spot thats flooded vs. open water....alot easier to get out if you happen to sink it.

I sunk my sled in open water , my belt got wet and i ended up sinking 10ft from the edge of the ice lol. It was in about 10ft of water and just so happened that it settled on the bottom with a big rock between the skis, we didnt have any rope so we had to go and get some then I cut down a tree and stuck a loop of rope on the end of it, layed down on the edge of the ice and reached down to the bottom and pushed the rope through the bumper and pulled it back up again, it was pretty difficult and If i couldnt get that to work I was going to strip down to my boxers and swim down to tie on the rope. After fighting with it trying to drag it up over the rock between the skis we finally got it up and got it fired up, thought all was good but she locked up on me the way home......the sled was on the bottom for a couple hours and the infamous leaky oil cap and let in some water and starved it from getting oil. That was almost 10 yrs ago and I was new to working on sleds so it didn't even cross my mind that there could be waterin the oil.... so if you do sink make sure no water has gotten in your oil or it's gonna cost you alot of $$$.

I don't really play around with it much anymore just usually if i have to cross water, I don't go out of my way looking for water to cross, even though I had another close call last year on a fairly short stretch of water, took out my swaybar and forgot to cover up those nickle sized holes for the swaybar brackets (one is right in front of the clutch).

If you seal it up good you shouldn't have any problems, I knew a guy that had an old v-max 700 that could go on water until it ran out of gas (everyone knows hot easily the yamaha's got wet on water) He put a light inside the hood in the dark and sealed up everywhere any light shined through with marine silicone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.