Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had opportunity to ride a 1200 in the U.P. a few weeks ago and really liked how it handled on the trails up there. But the reality is that most of my riding is done around Southern MN over drifts, field driveways, etc. My question for you guys is how do the 1200's handle compared to the XP's in the rough drift busting, hopping field driveways, etc?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
  1. XP is lighter by about 40 lbs fron what I understand I guess if ya set up the xr with wider skis, skid plate and floaters on the a arms it would do good

·
Registered
241 Posts
All I doo is mostly ditch banging and I really like my 09 renegade for that. It is alittle heavier in the front but you get use to it quickly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you could for sure use a xr like you described. the old rev chassis is pretty comparable in weight and theres never a question about doing anything with those. imo the xr needs suspension work to ride agressively especially in the rear.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
No so fond of my XR in the deep stuff but I don't have the wider skis or a "paddle track". I ride 90% trails anyhow.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
My XR did OK in the powder. A 1.75 track would of made life a lot easier. Be honest with yourself. Do you trail ride, or are you in powder more? Im trying to talk myself into a 800 but i just can reason with it. 1500 miles this year on a 1200 and I still giggle like a school girl every time I whack the flipper, as I'm sure you saw when you rode yours. The "pull" never gets old. With a little work the 1200 can be a boondocker too. Obviously not as good as a 2 smoke. If you are honest in your riding style you'll be better off. I can keep up with any 2 smoke on the trail, and I am usually waiting for my group. In anything over 2 feet of powder its slows a lot but still goes. I'm sure a larger lug track will help which is on the list for the summer. It does suck when you bury one though. Good Lcuk

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had mine in the back country (a gtx se no less) ... my list of recomondations would be.
renagade
6.9 pilot skis
skid plate
1.75 track
set up suspension

These will help ALOT

1 of my gtx's had 6.9 pilots and a skid plate but a 1 in track...
the other gtx has 1.25 track and a skid plate but 5.7 pilots..

I could really tell the difference between the skis and the tracks as i went through 4 feet of snow.
i did get suck about 10 times all week but each sled come out pretty easy ..

So a renagade with the above recomendations would work really good ..

·
Registered
578 Posts
I ride mostly trail but love riding off trail so its still very important to me. Coming off an 05 REV 800 renegade heres what I found:

Feels much lighter on the trail.
Hands down better trail machine, no more to be said.

Feels slightly more nose heavy in powder but I feel its easier to throw around. Overall very similar to my rev. Does very well with a 1.375 track and 6.9 skis. If your coming off an xp im sure its noticeably heavier but I have no regrets in the deep compared to my rev. The torque powers through the deep stiff awesome! Throw a bigger track on and im sure its a blast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how much deer powder I'll run into around here. When they can groom we ride the trails, but usually it blows into the ditches. They get packed down pretty quick, so it mostly boils down to how heavy the front will feel trying to maneuver over and around terrain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my 12 renegade 1200 went everywhere my buddy's 04 RMK 154 800 went, I do have the fullbody skidplate the A arm guards handle bar riser mountain strap( which is def. very handy) . I dont have The DS skis but not sure if I would get them. All you need to do is practice the deep snow maneuvers and ride with the intent of making it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you got a 1200 like this you'll have an absolute blast!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I was really surprised on how well mine did it the deep stuff. After all you read about how "nose heavy" they are, I was worried. Not anymore!

I have a skid plate and USI Triple threats (6.5" wide). Wider skis are a must, the skid plate will help too

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Just remember it will not pull over and carve like a lighter 2 stroke unless you put on a very tall riser and are good and strong. Power in the deep is where they really shine.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
keep this in mind... a 1200 with 1/2 tank of gas will weight the same as an 800 with a full tank

Can you feel a difference in handling with a 1/2 tank compared to a full one???? I can't...........

·
Registered
245 Posts
i busted lots of drifts and ran ditches with my 1200 shorty with the 1" track. i would assume a renegade with wide skis would be amazing. i also weigh 250 lbs without gear and from what ive gathered the lighter riders prefer the xp's in powder

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
The Extra Weight Is Right Over The Skis, So That Gas Tank Argument Is Kinda Ridiculous. Is He Supposed To Never Fill His Tank Full?

What Is Your Current Sled?

Off-Trail, I Had A Lot More Fun On My 800 Etec Than My 1200. On-Trail, It's The Opposite. If I Truly Spent All My Time In Ditches....I'd Buy A 600 Etec BackcountryX

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
The Extra Weight Is Right Over The Skis, So That Gas Tank Argument Is Kinda Ridiculous. Is He Supposed To Never Fill His Tank Full?

What Is Your Current Sled?

Off-Trail, I Had A Lot More Fun On My 800 Etec Than My 1200. On-Trail, It's The Opposite. If I Truly Spent All My Time In Ditches....I'd Buy A 600 Etec BackcountryX
not 100% accurate comparison, maybe, but not ridiculous by any means.

I'm coming off a 800r short track, no e-start, all the plastic, foam, toolbox removed to lighten it up as much as possible. It had howards stage II kit, bondi box, plug & go, clutch brace, etc.

Now I have a 1200 gade X and have to say, I don't miss my 800 one bit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts