Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2013 800 etec x with the ski doo qrs short shaft secondary kit on it. when checking the sled over before the start of the season i notice it seemed to have excessive play in the spline when the clutch was tight on the shaft. due to lack of snow i have only gotten a couple of rides in, 150 ish miles. the sled seems to drive fine, clutches and belt run cool, no vibrations.

the splines on the shaft look perfect, but the small section of spline in the secondary almost look jagged or sharp? is it normal to have some play in the spline with this kit? has anyone seen these kits fail on the spline? any ways to correct the play?

thanks in advance for the feedback

·
Registered
519 Posts
is it in the splines or is the chain a little slack? if splines look good check the chain tension

·
Registered
519 Posts
some of the first kits ski-doo sold had some issues with the hardening process , probably not the shaft but inside the clutch stub could be the issue, that part has been updated a bunch of times

·
Registered
519 Posts
your probably going to need a new clutch half

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts

Attachments

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
QRS2.jpg

These splines seem to be clean and tight in the clutch half

Attachments

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
QRS3.jpg

These seem to be good as well. While rocking front to back very minimal movement on the shaft

Like I mentioned before I think that the aluminum support plug helped me from premature wear. That OEM one had a ton of clearance in it

QRS4.jpg It holds the secondary from flopping all over the place.

Have you Voted Today?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
While reading through this was saying to myself that the splines do need a good cold weather grease on them. Then I got to your second pic and it show a good moly lube. Dry splines will wear.

Reactions: Dter1134

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
Yes a good synthetic grease is going to help, That's a given! But more important than that is a plug that supports the secondary properly. The splines are not very long so the straighter they are kept the long your clutch will last. That was one of the many things I did when I installed mine 2 years ago. @200.00 a belt I can spend some time and get it right.

Take a minute and Vote for Jeff Below

Reactions: Dter1134

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,884 Posts
Dter1134, on 26 Jan 2016 - 8:58 PM, said:

My brothers Rene has one of these kits floats real nice
Nice read good info and I voted
Voted :righton , Jeff appreciates it :checkerd

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the parts list here someplace I'll get you the part number. Your dealer does not need to sell you the whole kit. For all BRP kits go on boss web and search directions and the kit part number and a list of all the parts in the kit will be there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice, so that is the fixed spline half that they came in the kit and is now used on the ace motor sleds?? Same part? I called ski doo and they told me I couldn't buy just that half. Interesting! :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
well not sure what to tell ya, but the half is availble cause iv bought 2 so far

·
Registered
182 Posts
So where are we with this one. Got it fixed?

Nice, so that is the fixed spline half that they came in the kit and is now used on the ace motor sleds?? Same part? I called ski doo and they told me I couldn't buy just that half. Interesting! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts