Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new sled owner and I was wondering what is the best way to put your sled away for the summer? Should I put staybil in the gas and run it a little bit or should I drain as much gas out as I can? It will be in a covered trailer.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
mxz 500ss said:
Hi I am a new sled owner and I was wondering what is the best way to put your sled away for the summer? Should I put staybil in the gas and run it a little bit or should I drain as much gas out as I can? It will be in a covered trailer.
Run stabil through it. Keep the fuel tank full to lower the space for condensation to form, pull your airbox, and fog the motor down. (replace the airbox) Pull the battery(if youhave one) and keep on a battery tender.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I agree with zone save the battery tender, if you have elect start just remove the pos wire from the battery, no trickle charge is needed... I leave the batts right ion the sled and have never had a problem in many years with many sleds...

a tea spoon full of oil in each cylinder is also advised and of course a good cleaning an greasing! you wil be amazed at how much water the new grease will push out-

seems like I just went for my first ride and now its time to summerize?? wow what a crappy season.. maybe next season will be a better one!

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
zone 5 said:
mxz 500ss said:
Run stabil through it. Keep the fuel tank full to lower the space for condensation to form, pull your airbox, and fog the motor down. (replace the airbox) Pull the battery(if youhave one) and keep on a battery tender.
[snapback]754771[/snapback]​
I hate to be the dummy, but will someone please explain exactly how they fog their motor...I have heard so many different ways....

Ryan

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you go to a marine supply store, I know quicksilver sells one call storage seal I believe. You spay it in the carbs while you have it running. You have to keep giving it gas to keep it running so you make sure you get enough in ur engine to cover everything in there. Then just let it stall out and put her away.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Steve30279 said:
If you go to a marine supply store, I know quicksilver sells one call storage seal I believe. You spay it in the carbs while you have it running. You have to keep giving it gas to keep it running so you make sure you get enough in ur engine to cover everything in there. Then just let it stall out and put her away.
[snapback]754833[/snapback]​
Empty the carbs after you fog...then put away!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This is how all of our stuff gets stored in the off season, boat, sleds, you name it.

1. Drain all gas from tank.
2. Run engine to get fuel out of lines, then drain carb bowls.
3. Fill tank 1/2 full with airplane gas. (most local airports have a card reader for your CC, just take a tank and fill it)
4. Run the sled until it is hot.
5. Fog the engine with fogging oil through the carb.
6. Pull plugs and spray fogging oil in cylinder while it is still hot.

The reason i use the avgas is because it will not degrade over the winter or summer. You will not have to mess with cleaning the gum out of your carbs either.

When you go to run your sled at the beginning of the next year, make sure you fill the other half of your tank with 87 car gas to dilute the avgas. If not you will burn your exhaust valves.

Tim

·
Registered
731 Posts
behindpropellers said:
This is how all of our stuff gets stored in the off season, boat, sleds, you name it.

1. Drain all gas from tank.
2. Run engine to get fuel out of lines, then drain carb bowls.
3. Fill tank 1/2 full with airplane gas. (most local airports have a card reader for your CC, just take a tank and fill it)
4. Run the sled until it is hot.
5. Fog the engine with fogging oil through the carb.
6. Pull plugs and spray fogging oil in cylinder while it is still hot.

The reason i use the avgas is because it will not degrade over the winter or summer. You will not have to mess with cleaning the gum out of your carbs either.

When you go to run your sled at the beginning of the next year, make sure you fill the other half of your tank with 87 car gas to dilute the avgas. If not you will burn your exhaust valves.

Tim

av gas?
no

Fill tank and add stabil
Run motor till hot
shut off
pull air box
start motor
fog- replace air box
grease and lube all
done
store battery fully charged
start and drive next season
[snapback]754852[/snapback]​

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
CATEATER_REV said:
I hate to be the dummy, but will someone please explain exactly how they fog their motor...I have heard so many different ways....
Ryan
SDI or Carb-
start engine and warm up
stop and remove airbox
start engine.
increase RPM (just enough so it won't stall)
spray fog into each carb
when exhaust gets nice and smokey, let idle, and spray into carbs till engine dies.
Some people also remove plugs and spray/add oil there, and crank over then replace plugs. Fogging does the same thing, so I don't think you need to do that.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When I fog the engine I get my boy to hold the RPM's at 2500 or so the I spray 2 cans of fogging oil at same time into each carb( other wise it burn off while spaying the other carb) get it good and smokey then the boy hits the kill switch for me.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Another suggestion to add and a quickie is to spray some WD-40 on your external metal areas - engine, can and slide rails. It can avoid that chalky stuff that can develop. Wipes off easy in the late fall.

Interesting the steps that some do and some don't. Personnally I follow the above steps for the most part, others seem to do nothing at all and are fine the following season. I think the 30 minutes or so it takes to do the prep is worth it if for nothing else piece of mind. If you do leave the fuel in and don't drain the carbs it is a good idea to have your carbs drained and checked before you start riding next season.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ct_skidoo said:
Another suggestion to add and a quickie is to spray some WD-40 on your external metal areas - engine, can and slide rails. It can avoid that chalky stuff that can develop. Wipes off easy in the late fall.
Absolutly. I forgot. I use CRC all over. same thing I do to my boat in the winter. I even use it during the season on the sled to help keep corrision from salt down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts