Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best glue to use to make the grips stick? Don't want them to move or twist cause it will damage the wires where they go into the throttle housing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I usually just use dish soap, slide them on and use a heat gun to make sure they are nice and dry.. Or you could probable just use some epoxy if you really didnt want them to move but would make a hard time if you ever want to replace them.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Bueller67 said:
Soak the inside of each grip with hairspray. Twist on to the position you like. Let them set for 24 hours, done.
[snapback]726272[/snapback]​
I second the hair spray, cheap and always works for me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if those ideas will work as well on the doo grips because the inside of the grip is hard plastic and not rubber like bike grips. I use hairspray on bike grips too and it works fine. I was thinking about using a bit of urethane.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
The grips I buy say to put rubbing alcohol in the grips, cover ends with fingers, shake, then slide on bars. I have put new grips on about 20 sleds so far, and never had any of them come off or get loose. I also wipe down the heating elements and bars with rubbing alcohol before I put them on.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Clean the bars, grips & heaters real good with cleaner (degrease) thyen spray hair spray on the surfaces before appling and let dry, works good, esay to apply and locks on when dry.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Honda has a there Pro Honda Chemicals Grip Glue available at there dealers, I have found this to be the best glue available. Another good option is electrical contact cleaner or a really powerful hairspray in an aerosol can. My experience on bikes is that the latter two ideas work well but the sled grips seem to be better served with the glue option, the fit and lack or any knurling on the bars needs a little extra help on the sleds. Also, I was looking at the grips on the Polaris race sleds, they look really good and seem to be a really tight fit. I am going to get a set and let you guys know how they work out.

All the grips I am talking about are the type where the bar warmer is separate from the grip, the new style doo ones that have the heater inside are a certain size to accommodate the bars, I sold a steering post and x style bars to a friend of mine and the grips from his 03 were a hair to large of diameter so be sure you are not trying to make up size difference with glue. A quick wrap of electrical or plumbers tape might do what you want without the mess.

newfiehornet said:
What is the best glue to use to make the grips stick? Don't want them to move or twist cause it will damage the wires where they go into the throttle housing.

Thanks.
[snapback]726246[/snapback]​

1 - 11 of 11 Posts