Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1988 formula mx and I've been looking online but i cant seem to find a reverse kit. The sled doesn't have reverse now but i would like to put it on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I installed reverse on my '92 Formula Plus back in the day.

It was a supposed to be only for the MX and you ordered it thru your dealer from SKi-Doo. I had to buy a new chain and top sprocket as the gearing was different but all the other parts would fit either one.

I know this doesn't help you find a kit but it raises a good question about not current parts. What happens to all the non-current parts and accessories when they go out of date? It would seem an aftermarket company would buy up these items and sell them or are they destroyed? I know one dealer in my area that periodically gets and sells non-current clothing at huge discounts.

Who has the answers?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
call around to snowmobile salvage yards, I also installed a few back in the day ,I'm no mechanic but I did it so its pretty easy ,actually it came with some good instructions from ski doo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input. I'll try to find a dealer in my area. When you installed the kit was it quick and did it work well?

·
2nd Whore in command
102,272 Posts
I doubt you will find anything at a Skidoo dealer, you will have to find a sled salvage yard or parts sled I would think. Could check ebay motors.

could try posting this in the "vintage section" here as some of those guys might have one laying around?

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
thanks for the input. I'll try to find a dealer in my area. When you installed the kit was it quick and did it work well?
I remember doing it on my trailer in the garage in the fall. This provided a good working height because I had to drop the suspension and change the front axle. I took my time doing the installation making sure everything aligned properly. No issues at all only as I stated in my original post

After I was done the first time I backed it off the trailer my back said thank you! Then in the winter when others were pulling and tugging to turn around all I had to do was turn the handlebars and backup.

This was the first offering for reverse on these models and had to be mechanical as the engines were rotary valve and could not run backwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts