Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
97 ski d oo formula 500 dlx.

I want to replace pulse line. Its like $40 w shipping online. Is there any other type of line that will work that I can get at autozone or similar. Feels like a scam to pay that much for about 8 inches of line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the pulse line on there off and it looks in great shape. I blew through it and it was unobstructed. I can't figure out what is wrong. At this point I pulled the lines out of the tank and cleaned the filter. I replaced the diaphragms and gaskets in the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel lines to carbs but nothing comes out. I can start it with the primer pump only.

·
Registered
'09 & '13 GSX 1200's 1985 Manta 500
1,217 Posts
Make sure tank vent is not plugged. Pull the plugs out when testing the pump so motor spins over easier so you're not killing yourself pulling it over. Fuel to the pump and it's not pumping then somethings not right in the pump. You have the main big diaphragms and small round disc valves also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the tank vent broke so I just have a hole there until the oarts come. My sled has a key start so I use that rather than the pull rope. I did also replaces the disc valves. Since they are only $30 I did order a new fuel pump but it wont be here for awhile. The one I have looks good but I guess it could still be the issue.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
With gas in the tank, if you pull the fuel line from the tank off the fuel pump, will fuel run out of the line?
Lynn
Edit: To answer your original question. Any auto parts store will have fuel line for Fuel Injected vehicles which is more kink free than standard fuel line.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
stealth bomber has got it. Borgia2 is working with a type 494, the PTO end crank bearing will be shot and the seal done !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple questions- the crankcase is below the engine, there is a bar that does from the clutch to the pull start casing, correct? Wiuld the seal and bearing be accessible by removing the pull start or clutch? Or do I have to remove the whole engine? I saw a couple videos where people removed a seal with a screw by puncturing the seal and pulling it w the screw. They werent this exact year and model though. Would this be possible with this model? Anyone know where I can find any info on how to do this?

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey just to start simple. I have had the pulse pumps get dirty and not pump fuel you can pull them apart clean them up and make them work again. Crank seals do go bad but with enough fuel in your tank it will syphon fill the carbs to a certain point as the check valves in the fuel pumps works one direction. IF they are gummed they wont let anything pass. I would start there. Make sure your floats and needles aren't stuck in your carbs as well. Then if your get it up and running and still worried about crank seals and bearings, you can take a can of brake parts cleaner or starting fluid and spray a little shot at the crank while it is running. If your seals are bad the motor will change rpm as the liquid is sprayed.
a leaky seal will suck it right in. And just for safety purposes both liquids are flammable so be careful safety first

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey just to start simple. I have had the pulse pumps get dirty and not pump fuel you can pull them apart clean them up and make them work again. Crank seals do go bad but with enough fuel in your tank it will syphon fill the carbs to a certain point as the check valves in the fuel pumps works one direction. IF they are gummed they wont let anything pass. I would start there. Make sure your floats and needles aren't stuck in your carbs as well. Then if your get it up and running and still worried about crank seals and bearings, you can take a can of brake parts cleaner or starting fluid and spray a little shot at the crank while it is running. If your seals are bad the motor will change rpm as the liquid is sprayed.
a leaky seal will suck it right in. And just for safety purposes both liquids are flammable so be careful safety first
Thanks, when you say "pulse pump," do you mean the fuel pump? Is that the same thing? or is there another pump I am unaware of? I did take apart the fuel pump and everything looked good. After that I added a refurb kit and it still didn't work. I have a pump on order, so yea I'm probably going to wait and try the new fuel pump and if that doesn't work try to figure out this crankcase issue. While I'm waiting for the pump I'm trying to locate as much info as I can on the crankcase because I don't think the fuel pump is the issue, although I'd gladly be pleasantly surprised if a new one solves the problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, when you say "pulse pump," do you mean the fuel pump? Is that the same thing? or is there another pump I am unaware of? I did take apart the fuel pump and everything looked good. After that I added a refurb kit and it still didn't work. I have a pump on order, so yea I'm probably going to wait and try the new fuel pump and if that doesn't work try to figure out this crankcase issue. While I'm waiting for the pump I'm trying to locate as much info as I can on the crankcase because I don't think the fuel pump is the issue, although I'd gladly be pleasantly surprised if a new one solves the problem.
for another easy test. if you remove the fuel line from the fuel pump (pulse driven pump) does fuel flow freely from the tank to the pump. I have cranks seals go bad and the pump still pump enough fuel to hold her wide and blow them up...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
for another easy test. if you remove the fuel line from the fuel pump (pulse driven pump) does fuel flow freely from the tank to the pump. I have cranks seals go bad and the pump still pump enough fuel to hold her wide and blow them up...
I removed the fuel line from the fuel pump sucked on the line and fuel came out. Is this what you mean? I also temoved the line to the carb and sucked on where it connected on fuel pump and fuel came out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I removed the fuel line from the fuel pump sucked on the line and fuel came out. Is this what you mean? I also temoved the line to the carb and sucked on where it connected on fuel pump and fuel came out.
You should not have to suck on the line coming from the tank to the pump. It should gravity flow. as the pump is lower than the fuel pick up in the tank. I would believe that something is blocking flow. There is a check valve in the screen in the tank. the screen can get plugged up. but the valve is merely a ball that prevents flow back into the tank

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should not have to suck on the line coming from the tank to the pump. It should gravity flow. as the pump is lower than the fuel pick up in the tank. I would believe that something is blocking flow. There is a check valve in the screen in the tank. the screen can get plugged up. but the valve is merely a ball that prevents flow back into the tank
I did take that out and clean it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok just checking. I would just work at ruling everything out before crank bearings and seals. those 500's aren't known for eating bearings. Seals can go bad without bearings going but typically its a bearing that takes the seal. And the seal would have to have a pretty significant leak to not operate that pump

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok just checking. I would just work at ruling everything out before crank bearings and seals. those 500's aren't known for eating bearings. Seals can go bad without bearings going but typically its a bearing that takes the seal. And the seal would have to have a pretty significant leak to not operate that pump
I definitely appreciate it. Id also rather rule everything out. In not even sure the seals job is one I can handle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts