Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though it's been around for years, I've never seen a video showing how effective the "water trick" is for pulling the stubborn TRA-7 primary. There's plenty of descriptions out there, and I've personally told several people how to do it. But it seems like there's always somebody having problems getting their primary off with the Doo puller. Some even end up breaking their puller off inside the clutch, causing big problems. So, I decided to shoot a quick video to show people how easy it is, and how it works.

So... here it is.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Nice vid......why did you jump.......

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice vid......why did you jump.......
Well.... even as often as I do this, I still just never know when, or how suddenly the clutch is going to pop off. I think I probably jump every time... Now that you mention it, it is kind of embarrassing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This comes up so often, maybe someone could move this to the "how to" or "maintenance" section? It actually worked out good that you didn't have enough tape the first go round. Now someone will know what the problem is when it doesn't work. Nice vid

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. I was going to edit that part out. But then I thought it would make a good "how not to" example, so I left it in.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts

Mark

·
Registered
274 Posts
Very nice, i love that method. I jump every single time I do it :lol...even watching the video...
good job, another reason why Dootalk rules!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great job!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to make the video. I posted on here a couple days ago that I tried that for the first time on a TRA V clutch and was amazed at how easy it worked.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Moderators, can we put this in the FAQ section, good info here for those in Question of HOW to DO
I have added a link in the REV-XP FAQ's under the "How to" sub forum to this topic.

Thanks for the video AK-Rider and thanks for the suggestion Rev Kev.

~Bob

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
FINALLY someone smarter than I posted a video on this. THANK YOU! I've described it so many times to people...and sometimes they believe me that it works and other times they call BS on me. I now have a link to give those people.

This is my primary method of pulling clutches, has been for about 20 years. I have always preferred it because NOTHING touches the end of the crank except water, it takes FAR less torque at the wrench to get it to pop, and I have indeed had a "proper" clutch puller bend and damage the end of the crank on an especially stubborn one. Water cannot cause damage. Plus I went thru a phase of parting out a whole bunch of sleds on Ebay, and I certianly didn't want to purchase a proper clutch puller for each of them...Doos from Mid-80's on up with TRA's were ESPECIALLY easy, since their own bolt serves as the puller with the water method.

But this is not the case for the other brands. For Poo and Cat for example, you will need to go to the local hardware store and buy a grade 8 bolt of the proper threads to fit the puller portion of the clutch. Then you can do exactly the same thing with the water. Big Grade 8 bolts cost less than $4 and are available everywhere.

Full disclosure, the first time I did this I used grease instead of water. It worked. It also created a 20 minute clean-up job. I then realized that water is self-cleaning because it just evaporates. MUCH better! LOL. BUT...with grease, you can do it with the sled sitting flat on the ground if you choose. Stupid gravity laws prevent this with water...you gotta tip it up.

FWIW, I do this water thing with an impact wrench usually instead of a hand wrench. Does anyone here think that an impact wrench can deliver stronger blows than the WOT combustion impacts that a piston takes 8,000 times per minute during normal use? While pressing against a liquid? I do not. Impact wrenches are entirely harmless to the crank and clutch for pulling purposes. And if using the water method, you barely pull the trigger and it just falls off immediately because it takes so little torque...

1 - 20 of 142 Posts