Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I'm new here so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place or something. I have a 94 stx 583 with a blown crank seal, I order the new seal and the puller from Dennis Kirk. It showed on the website that it fits my sled. It showed up today and the threads on the puller are too small. I don't know what to do because all of the pullers from other places look identical. Looking for someone to help me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
jonathon: being the puller you ordered did not fit....Might be possible someone has installed a aftermarket clutch on the sled. Can you post a picture ??

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don`t post pics directly from a phone so I am not sure the steps, I do it from a computor all the time.

When you are making a post: In the lower right corner of message box, there is a "more reply options" button, click that. Then "click "browse", then select picture from where ever you have it stored, then click "attach file".That should do it.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
That does appear to be a original OEM primary clutch. You say the threads on your clutch is 16 mm, how have you arrived at that number ??. The correct puller for the original clutch is 14 mm.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
It's possible someone has changed the clutch to a later TRA. You will have a problem if the clutch on the sled has a different taper than the crankshaft. If the bolt which holds the clutch onto the crankshaft just pulled out after screwing it out of the crankshaft the threads in the fixed half of the clutch are larger than those in the crankshaft indicating a later model of the TRA. You will need to use a puller made for a later TRA to remove the clutch.

It's the threads in the fixed half of the clutch which a puller screws into.

What size are the threads on the bolt which holds the clutch on?

Lynn

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,650 Posts
The 583's with original clutch used a different puller than the other engines/clutch combo's did. I have both pullers and will try to get a pic up

-grover

·
10,650 Posts
thumbnail (8).jpeg

Here are both style pullers, the gold looking one is for the 583, the other is for most all others.

-grover

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I believe that the bolt holding the clutch on is 14mm but I'll check when I get home.
When you pulled the clutch bolt out of the crankshaft, did it pull out some, then have to be threaded out again before the bolt would come out completely?

Lynn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When you pulled the clutch bolt out of the crankshaft, did it pull out some, then have to be threaded out again before the bolt would come out completely?
Lynn
No it slid right out. I confirmed that it is indeed a 14mm bolt that threads into the end of the crank.

·
10,650 Posts
What does your puller look like? Anything near what I posted in the pic?

-grover

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
IMG_1781.JPG

Jonathan. When you insert the puller you recieved into the clutch shaft does it not stop at about like this picture.

Your clutch retaining bolt should be 13.9mm and the threaded section of the puller is 14 mm.

If a 14 mm puller falls right in there, then I would have to guess the puller threads in shaft got ruined at one time and someone drilled and tapped it bigger ??

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the puller just falls right in. But I would doubt that someone would have been able to find an m16 extra fine tap.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Are there threads at the end of the clutch half or part way down inside the shaft? The threads on the later TRA clutch bolts are 14 X 1.5 MM. The later style puller will screw into the threads which are part way down the inside of the tube on the clutch fixed half. The threads on the newer style clutch puller will also be 14 X 1.5 MM.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 76 Posts