Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Took a family trip this past week to Northern Wisconsin and found some awesome snow and trails. We also found some idiots going way to fast. The closest call of getting hit was in a snow covered corner. If the corner would have been icy I'm not sure things would have turned out. I was able to get out of the way as his sled found the trees. Anyway, I got to thinking about protection for myself and my son on the 1+1 seat. I use a kid harness but would like to get a protective vest for my son and for myself. What should I look for in a vest? Who makes the best vest for trailing riding? Any help would be appreciated.

We logged in 967 miles for the week with no breakdowns. All riding Doo's.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
JS53536 said:
Took a family trip this past week to Northern Wisconsin and found some awesome snow and trails. We also found some idiots going way to fast. The closest call of getting hit was in a snow covered corner. If the corner would have been icy I'm not sure things would have turned out. I was able to get out of the way as his sled found the trees. Anyway, I got to thinking about protection for myself and my son on the 1+1 seat. I use a kid harness but would like to get a protective vest for my son and for myself. What should I look for in a vest? Who makes the best vest for trailing riding? Any help would be appreciated.

We logged in 967 miles for the weekend with no breakdowns. All riding Doo's.

[snapback]713660[/snapback]​
I wear a motocross chest protector evry now and then. I doo believe the chest protectors are good to wear. It is just another piece of protective wear that could help protect you. I have heard good things about the tech vests. There are a lot of idiots on the trails. You never know when someone will come around a corner too hot and cream right into you and your son!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Buy yourself a Tek Vest. I would not go out on the trails without one. I am 5'10" about 180 lbs and a medium fits great. I do not even notice I am wearing it. I have crashed a few times and I am positive it has saved me from more serious injuries.

www.tekrider.com

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
CATEATER_REV said:
Do you find it to be really bulky?

Thanks
Ryan
[snapback]713687[/snapback]​
No, the dirt bike chest protectors are very comfortable to ride with. I only use it on warm days when I can wear a thin jacket. As far as the tek vests go, I have not tried one but have heard that they are fairly comfortable as well. I am with you though, I am not a big fan of wearing a bunch of bulky things.
-Good luck

·
Shoooow meeee the POWDER!!
3,849 Posts
I second the Tekvest. I bought one this past fall and don't even know I have it on when riding.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have been using a SIXSIXONE Pressure suit for two years and it works great.
Have gone through, over around and almost under the bars numerous times mtn riding and haven't felt a thing and it didn't leave a mark. Has armour with padding on the forearms, elbows , shoulders, back and chest plus a built in kidney belt that really braces up the back, all hung on breathable stretch mesh.

Good Luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
I like my tek vest and don't notice I have it on, it is very comfortable and it also helps keep you warm. a vest is like like your helmet, you hope you never really need it but it's there if you doo. they have kids size vests also.
kevin

·
Registered
639 Posts
LRD, what's the cost on one of those things? Looks like you could go bounce off a few trees and smile while your doing it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
had my sled roll over me twice down a side of a hill a couple days no damage but a broke a arm bolt , and im lucky i had my moto cross style vest on, bars hit my cheast twice didnt feel a thing i was lucky! i wear it every time i dont feel right with out it

·
Registered
452 Posts
I bought the Tek Vest last year at Dennis Kirk. After the first ride or so, didn't even notice it. I wouldn't ride without it now. I usually wear a long sleeve t-shirt, the vest and my gore tex sno-cross jacket. Haven't gotten cold yet.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I second the Tekvest. I bought one this past fall and don't even know I have it on when riding.
got one, it works ok, and I can surely tell I have it on but it is not unbareable... but it is WAY TOO WARM and it was in the single digits F when I had it on...

I just cannot decide wether to wear it or not... it does provide protection but where do you draw the line? you could padd yourself to no end... it must be a personal decision most sled deaths are head and neck injuries and we ALL wear a helmet.

not saying don't wear a tek-vest just not sure how much real protection they are for the average rider. After all snowmobile accidents are actually very few and far between we just all hear about each and every one.

I think by the numbers you would be better off wearing a tek-vest in your car on the way to the trail seeing as you are much more likely to get hurt in a car accident than in a snowmobile crash...

but again if it gives the rider a feeling of security from the crack-pot riders wear it! In the past 5 years I cannot even remember seeing any goofs, just guys having fun, and speed is what is fun to many...! (me included) but I am sure folks hate it when we pass them... but we always do it politley and safetly... but folks just DO NOT LIKE TO BE PASSED

just my take!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check out the TekVest! Also look in to some shin pads, especially if you're on a Rev, I ride with both and believe they're as important as a Helmet. Good luck.

AKRNGDX

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did he say 900 miles in a weekend ? Thats two 450 mile days ...with a kid on the back no less. Man you don't need a tek vest you need a gold metal !!!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Get a Tek-Vest, you can't even tell it's on. The one thing I wish they would do is produce a shirt which is base layer in the torso, and fleece in the sleeves. It would make balancing the warmth of the Tek-Vest much easier. Tekrider - are you listening? Make this shirt, we will buy them.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've been wearing a Tekvest for the last 8 years when snowmobiling, very comfortable, takes a couple of rides to get use to, wouldn't ride without now. As a side benifit, the're warm when it's -30 or -40 C. Everyone should wear one, just think 40 years ago it seemed dorky to wear a helmet when snowmobiling, until sledders found they were warmer as well as protective, that's how I feel about the vest.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I wear a Tekvest and would not ride with out it! I also got them for both my kids. 7 yr old girl and 9 yr old boy. they will not ride with out them nor will I.
My girl 7 rides 120 poo (Sorry i got it before I left the dark side) it has mods goes about 18 mph. she was riding 2 days after her vest came and took a digger landed on a stump in the yard (the only one I might add) took a shot in the chest!
She came up very frightened I asked if she was hurt she said no. Tekvest saved her and me. Moma would have kicked my butt if she got hurt on a sled!

I took a smack off a tree busted over ten bones. That was just after my son was born (I was a big Hero with my wife
I wish I would had A Tekvest back then!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I purchased a Tekvest at the Northeastern Snowmobile show in September. Let me tell you I won't ride my snowmobile without it. Also I purchase their Tekrider PTG Power Touring Gear. I went riding with some buddies 3 weeks ago and in the afternoon it was 48 degrees. I had my tekvest and PTG on. I unzipped the zippers and it was fully vented and I was very comfortable. The other guys were sweating their buts off.

Well worth the money!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
99MXZ600 said:
[snapback]713737[/snapback]​
Tekvest
You won't even know it's on!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts