Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
You are right, but considering what we spend on everything else, cost should not be an issue at all. Maybe someday people will put one on and think nothing of it just like a helmet.
The issue with that is access to the safety equipment. Helmets can be cheap, meaning many more can access that safety. You don't pay extra for seat belts and basic airbags in your truck. Many more would wear them if they were easier to get.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
The issue with that is access to the safety equipment. Helmets can be cheap, meaning many more can access that safety. You don't pay extra for seat belts and basic airbags in your truck. Many more would wear them if they were easier to get.
I get what you are saying and don’t want to argue with you Baron, I just don’t think there are a lot of riders who can honestly say they would really like to have a vest but just can’t afford one. Matter of priorities maybe. No doubt cheaper prices would help promote them, but I see some under $200 Canadian and up to $500 range.

I wonder if dealers selling a guy gear with his sled are pushing these or not? I have no idea. I think they just have to slowly become perceived as just another part of your gear. Clubs could also be encouraging them. Not a big deal to do, but would put it in peoples heads.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My brother and my daughter. I keep 5 of them at my camp. I won't let anyone ride from my camp without them. I keep an eye out for them all summer long on ebay and other online shopping places and pick them up whenever they are good deals. Hopefully we'll never have to find out how good they work.

Vehicle Snowmobile Snow Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
468 Posts
I get what you are saying and don’t want to argue with you Baron, I just don’t think there are a lot of riders who can honestly say they would really like to have a vest but just can’t afford one. Matter of priorities maybe. No doubt cheaper prices would help promote them, but I see some under $200 Canadian and up to $500 range.

I wonder if dealers selling a guy gear with his sled are pushing these or not? I have no idea. I think they just have to slowly become perceived as just another part of your gear. Clubs could also be encouraging them. Not a big deal to do, but would put it in peoples heads.
That is a great point; I don't think they often put these two hand in hand with helmets as part of the total safety package. I teach the OHRV safety course in NH. This is an excellent opportunity to bring it to people's attention.

·
Windsurfnut
2020 Ski-Soo Renegade XRS 850
1,289 Posts
13 is not legal in Quebec and Ontario to ride on trails it is 16, in other provinces it probably differs.
But as you stated "We all know there are a “couple” of ya hoos out there" I would not let my child ride on a trail before the age of 16.
I would let him have a blast in the fields and on lakes on a older 380fan or more modern sled that has the learners key.
Ontario is 12 yrs old with successful completion of the Snowmobile Operators Card. However they cannot legally cross roads or travel trails that run alongside a road

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Both my kids wear tekvests and have since they had 120s. I could argue mine, which I have been wearing for 20 years, saved my life or at least kept me from the hospital. I was rear ended by someone at a high rate of speed which caused me to be thrown into my handlebar area, broke the steering post, gage cluster, windshield with my chest, and summersaulted me 30 feet through the air onto the ice of a lake. I completely walked away without a bruise. Sleds needed a group of 12 to pull them apart.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts