Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing how my son is now able to ride the trails with us, curious on what type of tek vest or other options are available for the little ones. As well as a neck brace under the helmet? We don’t keep him wrapped in bubble wrap, just want to be safe. We all know there are a “couple” of ya hoos out there and all that maters to them is me me me.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Our family wears Tek-vests and it’s like wearing a seatbelt - you feel bare if you don’t put it on.
The vests are comfortable and movement isn’t restricted by wearing it.
I don’t have any experience with the neck braces but many who are in Mx wear one so you could look to those suppliers if you go that route.

Will he be riding his own sled or doubling? What’s his age?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Our kids wear the vests from tekrider. They have a couple youth sizes available. No neck braces for us.

We bought our vests used on marketplace.

Reactions: Trail Ryder

·
Registered
2017 900 NA X Doo didnt make it so I did
2,869 Posts
I love it when the parents want to put vests on there kids. I always want to know if the parents wear one too?
I got myself and my son one when they first came out. When my granddaughter started ridinng with us she got one too. Our whole group wears them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love it when the parents want to put vests on there kids. I always want to know if the parents wear one too?
I got myself and my son one when they first came out. When my granddaughter started ridinng with us she got one too. Our whole group wears them.
I’ll admit I do not. But I will now. I can’t ask him to if I am not. “Lead by example” my father always said to me. Worked so far….. in the end. I just want us to enjoy this awesome sport we have. But still go home safe at night to do it all again tomorrow.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Close enough to 13 come riding season. He will be on his own doo
The youth sizes will probably be too small for a 13 year old.

Recommend you go to Tekrider Website and browse and use their sizing tools. For adults, I've seen a large majority of people recommend to go a size down from the size charts. I agree. Also maybe send them an email. They were very responsive to my questions.

I also tried on almost all their styles and found the Freestyle to be my favorite. (I utilized denniskirk.com and their lightning quick delivery and great return policies.) My kids youth vests are the Pro Lite style. My wife decided the go with the Alpinestars A4 Max vest instead of a tekrider.

Reactions: FriskyFreeride

·
Windsurfnut
2020 Ski-Soo Renegade XRS 850
1,289 Posts
The 509 R-Mor is a nice alternative to TekVest. Personally I'm a TekVest wearer, but we grabbed a bunch of 509's for the kids this past winter and are very happy with the comfort and protection.

Reactions: FriskyFreeride

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No joke... Go early in the morning and be off the trails by Noon unless you are out in the middle of nowhere.
I hear ya. We try to do our trail running during the week. Let the city weekend warriors have the trails. Save the honey holes for the weekends. The lil man seems to have more interest in the backcountry side of riding. ( legally of course). It can be done, he will be taught where he is allowed to do this. I can see doing lil more trail this year to get his ears wet. 1st world sacrifice I know. Lol.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Close enough to 13 come riding season. He will be on his own doo
13 is not legal in Quebec and Ontario to ride on trails it is 16, in other provinces it probably differs.
But as you stated "We all know there are a “couple” of ya hoos out there" I would not let my child ride on a trail before the age of 16.
I would let him have a blast in the fields and on lakes on a older 380fan or more modern sled that has the learners key.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
13 is not legal in Quebec and Ontario to ride on trails it is 16, in other provinces it probably differs.
But as you stated "We all know there are a “couple” of ya hoos out there" I would not let my child ride on a trail before the age of 16.
I would let him have a blast in the fields and on lakes on a older 380fan or more modern sled that has the learners key.
Legal in Ontario over age of 12 provided do the ofsc course.And rides with anyone over 16. He been on a 440 jag for four years. He is not learning from scratch. He jumping to 600 this year. A lil fear is good in any one. But I refuse to bring my child up wearing bubble wrap. I’ll be up from. Him in middle. Wife bringing up the rear.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I was going to answer a while ago, you are both right. It is possible to ride, just depends where as in as long as you aren’t crossing a road every 1/4 mile its not bad. We have done it and just have someone else cross the sled, but on a trail with frequent roadside or crossing it would not be practical.
I don't what to burst your bubble but in Ontario it is 16 on trail's, reason is you are crossing public roads.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I still can't believe here... what they charge for tek vests new. I wish it was cheaper and all sledders wore them.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
You are right, but considering what we spend on everything else, cost should not be an issue at all. Maybe someday people will put one on and think nothing of it just like a helmet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts