Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
About 7-ish? years ago I dropped a stupid amount of coin at the Milwaukee snow show and dressed myself in Klim gear head-to-toe, from balaclava to gloves to boots to bibs/non-insulated shells/several base layers, etc. And with minimal practice, once I figured out which layers were best for which weather & type of riding I found a dramatic improvement in my comfort level for all riding conditions and temps. A fantastic upgrade. No news to many of you.

7 years later it all still looks like new. BUTT (literally) I finally developed a problem. Wet butt. For the past 2 seasons most anytime I sat on a sled with a wet seat from melted snow, or rode in warmer conditions where slush sprayed up my backside, or rode in rain, or even just got into heavy snow-dust spray from powder riding, I'd get to a bar/restaurant and leave a damp patch everywhere I sat. And I could feel it on the inside like it was all just seeping thru. Never got cold because their base layers work very well at keeping you warm even when damp. But still annoying...basically I just felt sweaty "down there." And it led to 2 years of wonderfully entertaining tongue-in-cheek bar conversations with the guys about diapers, prostate, leakage, kegel exercises and all the other manly stuff that tends to come up for discussion when you leave a big wet butt shaped spot on every vinyl surface you sit on...and this year I found myself STANDING at the bar most of the time...airing out the derriere.

And yes I followed all the rules seasonally and did the wash & tumble dry instructions to renew the Goretex. Then prior to this season I did the ReviveX treatement they recommended on their website. This season? I rode less than normal with the weather, but still had the wet butt incidents. Even after one ride this year in pretty solid rain, I was bone dry on every part of my body...except the backside. Again.

So to make a long story longer...last week I filed a warranty claim and shipped my old Togwotee bibs in for assessment. Within 1 week they assessed, emailed me in agreement there was a failure, So then they emailed me a follow-up invoice today for $509 for a brand new pair of the latest and greatest Togwotee bibs to replace my 2-generations-ago old models, with a 100% discount for zero dollars, an apology that they would be forced to send me their newest model because they don't have any old ones like I had (such a bummer...NOT), and they're in UPS's capable hands right now heading to my home. All I really was hoping for was a repair or some sort, or new factory re-waterproofing. Instead they shipped me brand new $500 bibs. All I had to pay was the initial $15 cost to ship mine in for assessment.

All my other Klim gear still works great, except I've since switched to heated gloves from Gerbing, and I don't care for the tight fit of the Klim Balaclavas on my giant skull so I use Schampa now. But the gear wasn't defective...just developed a different preference.

So anyway yes the Klim gear costs stupid money, and yes they are now owned by Polaris. But in my experience this week I can confirm they still provide top notch customer service and honor their "guaranteed to keep you dry" commitment even on my older and now obsolete gear. I couldn't possibly ask for more. I will continue to be a Klim fan for a long time.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Glad to hear klim standing behind their product. My klim coat and bibs just finished their 11th season. Yes they are showing signs of wear, but youd have to look hard to find it. I'm a firm believer in " you get what you pay for". That being said I'll gladly do it again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I also have Klim top to bottom as do my riding buds.The only problem I've had is with their goggles. Snow gets in between the 2 plastic lenses. They gave me replacements but they do the same thing. Other than that,money well spent.

·
Windsurfnut
1,237 Posts
I have a pair of Togwatee gloves, that after 1 month of ownership and only a handful of rides, the liners are splitting at the seams. Sent pics to Klim and I got a denial because they said it was torn. Sent in a closer pic of the seem tearing apart and not I just get ignored.

too bad, I have lots of Klim stuff with never a problem. My Fusion gloves had 2+ years riding and lots of miles on them. They have worn thumbs and palms..and I'm not submitting them, that is just good ole use on them. But 2 weekends of riding and I get told I tore my liners.. Sorry, I did nothave the same experience as you did.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just sent my jacket in today. Seam was unraveling. 4 years old but love the stuff. We'll see what they do about it.
e38841bebd427a1f4c2f0275fa5fb64f.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
My five year old freeride pants are missing a few threads around the cuffs but they're still keepin me dry. I got klim head to toe and I'm totally sold on it. Their goggles do suck though, I went back to my $80 dragons

·
Registered
814 Posts
Same here. And when I've had issues with the plastic clips on the gloves they've always replaced or repaired them no questions asked. As for riding comfort, I've never had anything better personally.

·
Registered
860 Posts
This last trip to the north, I stopped on the way and outfitted with all new Klim stuff. Vector coat, Keweenaw bibs and Caribou mitts. It performed amazingly well. I'm looking forward to many years of use from this stuff.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I don't find their jackets to be the warmest, but now that I layer properly I think that is actually a good thing. But their stuff is excellent quality and has lasted me at least 7/8 years. Glad to hear their warranty works well. I need to send my bibs in for wet butt syndrome

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Sent my first of 3 zipper problems to them, after I washed the jacket and it got sent back, not fixed, because it still had some hair on it from my dog. I've had terrible luck with their zippers. Maybe that's just me. And nobody will tell me their gear is warm. When it's real cold out I go to other jackets. I own a TON of a Klim stuff, and keeping me dry on my bike is the only good thing I have to say about their product, warm no, durable no, value no.
I do have some Arctic GTX boots though that are outstanding!

·
5,646 Posts
Regarding the warmth comments...

You gotta understand their layering system. My bibs and coat are both 100% uninsulated. So I have no expectation of warmth from the bibs or coat, because that's not their job at all. That's strictly a windblock and waterproofing layer, and NOTHING more.

Simply put if you're cold while wearing Klim gear, you're layering it wrong. Properly layered I've ridden down to -20F many times, sit-down non-athletic 80 mph railroad grade and lake runs, and was perfectly toasty/comfy. And if it were even colder it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

And when wearing the EXACT same bib and coat, with different layers, it actually helps keep me COOL when I'm riding athletically off trail on a 45 degree day and generating a bunch of sweat.

And that same Klim system actually kept me comfortable for 2 hours in zero degree weather, after I found myself standing nipple-deep in water when I fell thru thin ice one day. Obviously I was soaked completely through from the shoulders to the tips of my toes, but I still never got the least bit cold...even after extracting the sunk sled, then sitting on another sled for an hour for a high speed zero degree run back to the truck to get the trailer and a change into dry gear. For any of you who have ever water-skiied in cold weather it felt like I was sitting in the boat after a run in a full body soaked wetsuit. Yes I felt damp all over, but I also felt 100% warm.

Hmmmm...I just realized that water incident occurred in 2007 when I sunk my brand new 2007 Yamaha Attak, and I was wearing the exact same gear I'm wearing now in 2016. This means my bibs that Klim just replaced for free were at least 9 years old, not 7 years old as I originally stated...time flies man. And the company still stood behind them after all that time...even after I went swimming in the dang things.

But anywho I had to learn their system to make those warmth statements true. And it is a system. I don't just slap it on and leave without thinking through this particular day's ride and the expected conditions for that day, and I also don't leave on the sled without a different layer or two in my gear bag, in case I estimated wrong or we have an unexpected weather/condition change. If I start to feel slightly chilled or slightly warm? My fault, not Klim's. So I just stop for 3 minutes and swap or add or remove a layer. Fixes it every time.

The rep at the Milwaukee show spent a lot of time with me and SHOWED me how to wear it, and explained it all. I remember I was in that booth for about 2 hours. Helped me a ton. Yes he got a $1500+ sale outta me that day. And yes it was worth every penny. I've spent very little money on clothing in the 9 years since, and don't plan to for many years to come.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I have the Klim Agressor base, Inferno mid, and several jackets, the only one I can use if it's not below zero is the Klimate, the Tomahawk I freeze on my motorcycle. I think I'd be better off with a heavy fleece mid. More insulation. Believe me, I don't want to give up on all my Klim gear, as I have a small fortune tied up in it between myself and the woman.

·
5,646 Posts
I have the Klim Agressor base, Inferno mid, and several jackets, the only one I can use if it's not below zero is the Klimate, the Tomahawk I freeze on my motorcycle. I think I'd be better off with a heavy fleece mid. More insulation. Believe me, I don't want to give up on all my Klim gear, as I have a small fortune tied up in it between myself and the woman.
With all respect I can kinda tell you haven't quite figured out their system.

Says right in the Tomahawk product description "for high activity boondockers that build up a sweat". My coat/shell is a "Storm"...same basic uninsulated material and usage intent. I bought it back when I did a lot more boondocking and off trail than I do today. But yes I'd expect I'd freeze if I just sat sedentary on a motorcycle (or snowmobile) and just sit-down rode in that coat without proper inner layers. I wouldn't expect it to be much warmer than a garbage bag over a long sleeve tshirt. But I still do wear that same coat even on sit-down high speed rides in sub-zero temps. But obviously that means my Klim gear is indeed requiring heavy fleece mid layers in such conditions. Which is also Klim brand. Like the Everest jacket I put on under my Storm jacket, but only for the coldest days. And for "usual" riding, zero to +30 degree-ish, I put on my Inferno jacket under the Storm shell and leave the Everest in my bag just in case the mercury drops or I have to spend the night in the woods. Not to mention the right base layers. All are absolutely mandatory, and it varies by day and riding style. Skip one or pick one wrong and I have potential to be miserable, either too hot or too cold. If that happens I just pull over right away and change something and I'm set for the day. But get it right and I'm 100% lovin' it. And realize the outer layer needs to be sized loose enough to accept such layering. If you purchase and outer shell...bib or parka...that too small, well you're kinda screwed for anything but the warmest weather cuz you can't layer them properly without it getting too tight and compressing all the air out of the layers, making you cold and feeling like your clothes are too small. And lets not forget the tek-vest has to fit in there too.

If you don't want to give up on it, I would encourage you to contact them and talk to them directly about exactly what you have, how you ride, what the problems have been, and how to make it work better for you. They know better than I do.

For anyone who just wants to wear your usual jeans & sweatshirt, slap on a jacket and bibs and sit-down ride, Klim is absolutely not for you and it probably won't be comfortable at all. Even their insulated gear relies on good base layers.

The most important thing I've learned in my experience is cotton has no place on a snowmobile. EVER. The includes cotton underwear of any type, socks, jeans, typical sweat shirts, most flannel shirts, etc...NEVER wear these items on a snowmobile. Something as simple as cotton boxers and generic white cotton socks can completely ruin your day no matter what you put on the outside of all that...

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm surprised about the two goggle comments. I've used 509's, (x5's and Aviators ) Ecks, Spy and Klim Radius Pro's. I found that the Klim goggles were the best. If you trail ride and wear an MX helmet the nose piece fits perfectly over the Klim Arctic balaclava which really keeps the nose warm. I've never gotten the snow dust between the lenses. I have a Vector Jacket the only thing I need to wear under that is a vest and base layer. I like a vest because no matter what brand coat you wear when you hit 60+ mph in the extreme cold the wind will find its way to your chest. Especially when you use a " I'm too call short windshield " like me. I also have Vector pants which need nothing but a base layer underneath. I wear Fusion gloves but they are bulky and not as warm as I hoped. I heard the 2016's are improved. Like a fool I have tried two different boots that I want to lose in a hurry. FXR Tatic SL boots I thought I got a deal on $300 boots for $150. Like wearing two cinder blocks that are a PITA to take off. They are warm but overall they get a thumbs down. I've also tried the Castle Barrier boots. The quick release clasps are really nice but they aren't very warm. I'm going to bite the bullet and get the Klim Adrenaline BOA's. Sorry about the novel but the bottom line is I love Klim gear. Motorfist is really close but not quite as good, FXR has a couple of really nice items. It's the colors that drive me nuts. Can they just make something all black please? Then there's Castle, it's okay I guess. But it's not making the podium.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts