Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm a 4-stroke V-8 guy. Never been into a 2-stroke until now. I searched for the proper break-in procedure for a rebuilt engine, in my case a 2000 MXZ 700, but haven't found anything concrete.

About the only thing I have read is to add oil to the fuel for the first tank or two. If this is so, what type of oil? The same synthetic I an using in the oil tank, or is there some kind of break-in oil? And, how much/what ratio?

My usual break-in for an automotive engine is varying the RPM's for the first 15 minutes after initial start-up.

Anything special I need to doo to this one?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
217 Posts
add oil to the first tank or you can just turn up your oil pump, but im not sure about the ratio. when i did my 700 i just rode it fethering the throttle not holding it wot for more than a second or two once i got about 100 miles on it i started holding it for longer streches. my oil pump runs pretty rich so i didn't put any oil in the gas. i would say just take it easy for about 100 miles and it should be ok from there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just rebuilt my 00 Mxz 700 as well... bottom and top end. I adjust oil pump to spec then just ran NON synthetic oil for couple tanks. Around 200 miles. Vary throttle w/ in that mileage. AFter that I had the oil in the tank down to nothing so I could put Klotz synthetic in..... then get out and pin it!! Been running strong ever since..... my 2 cents.
ALSO!! make sure each time that you warm the sled up very well before you take off, that is crucial before you go rockin it.

glock35ipsc said:
OK, so I'm a 4-stroke V-8 guy. Never been into a 2-stroke until now. I searched for the proper break-in procedure for a rebuilt engine, in my case a 2000 MXZ 700, but haven't found anything concrete.

About the only thing I have read is to add oil to the fuel for the first tank or two. If this is so, what type of oil? The same synthetic I an using in the oil tank, or is there some kind of break-in oil? And, how much/what ratio?

My usual break-in for an automotive engine is varying the RPM's for the first 15 minutes after initial start-up.

Anything special I need to doo to this one?

Thanks in advance!
[snapback]736869[/snapback]​

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've read several reports recommending people NOT put oil in the gas for break-in. The reason stated was that you're sucking the same volume of oil/gas mixture through the carb, so now you've got less gas than if there was no oil, causing a slight lean condition. If anything, go with the oil pump setting....but too much oil and you'll glaze the cylinder before the rings seat properly, which is the same reason for not using synthetic, the reduced friction may give you a glaze before ring seating has occured.. When i did my 670 in fall, I left it all alone....stock oil, no extra oil, etc, and just ran 'er up and down the rev range. no idling on a stand! they like to overheat that way, too. It was fine until i leaned out a cylinder last weekend and melted a piston....which didn't have much to do with breakin...

good luck
nik

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just rebuilt my 2000 700 top and bottom. I was told to add approx. 1 litre of oil to the gas for the 1st tank so if there is any air in the lines the motor will continue to get oil. I was never told not to run the synthetic so I put a quart of AmSoil in the tank. I varied the throttle and never went above 3/4 throttle for the 1st 400 or so miles as per the Bombardier manual.
At 463 miles (742Km) the motor let go on me again, same cylinder.
I doubt it has anything to do with the break-in though.

I hope this helps. Good luck & ride safe!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just rebuilt my 700, I didnt premix I was told by alot of people not to. I just adj oil pump up and after 200 miles i put it back no problems. remember during break in check your plugs like crazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts