Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddies 04 MXZ 500SS is having problems starting when warm. It starts ok when cold, but when it's warm, it doesnt want to start. It will turn-over for 1-2 seconds, but not enough to have the tach and speedo lights to come on and then it stalls. It seems that if we let it set for 30 mins or so, it will start up. It also idles high at about 4000 rpm...Could this have something to do with it? Anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Are you giving it 1/4 throttle when start it? When warm, I have to give it throttle. Starts on the 1st pull everytime. As for the high idle, check the crappy carb boots. Not just a flashlight, take your carbs off and pull the boots and make sure there are no tears. My boots are fine and it has kind of a high idle but will come down after blipping the throttle or letting it sit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to him today, the carb heaters are off, he checked the carb boots, they look good, he put new plugs in (BR9EYA gapped at .018) also, it backfires really bad when giving it a 1/4 throttle to start it...

·
Registered
166 Posts
mashaw_35 said:
I talked to him today, the carb heaters are off, he checked the carb boots, they look good, he put new plugs in (BR9EYA gapped at .018) also, it backfires really bad when giving it a 1/4 throttle to start it...
[snapback]704824[/snapback]​
My 06 500ss with 170 miles on it back fires slightly when I shut it down any ideas there I was thinking it needs some more break in time or something.As for your problem try to give it half choke before shuting it down that may help

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
ECS plugs is what Doo calls for.

My 500 SS needed 1/4 throttle to start when its hot since the day it was new!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Mine WILL NOT start at all when its hot if you don't touch the throttle.
You can pull all you want, but nothing!
Oh well, I'm not a whimp, so i can pull it with 1 hand!

G

·
Deadman said:
Mine WILL NOT start at all when its hot if you don't touch the throttle.
You can pull all you want, but nothing!
Oh well, I'm not a whimp, so i can pull it with 1 hand!
[snapback]705665[/snapback]​
That`s strange mine starts whether it`s hot...cold...dry...wet doesn`t matter what the conditions are!
and I`ve never had to give it any throttle!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last year my 04 500SS never had any problems starting 4300km's and only 1 set of plugs used. starts just fine so far his year. I have had it backfire before if i shut it down without letting it sit for like 20 seconds. As for your high idle I would think something is wrong with the carbs. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Mine backfires almost everytime, unless I idle it down. My buddies 500SS backfires everytime, and sounds like a CANON going off. It sprays snow when it pops!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Deadman said:
Mine backfires almost everytime, unless I idle it down. My buddies 500SS backfires everytime, and sounds like a CANON going off. It sprays snow when it pops!

[snapback]706056[/snapback]​
Tell your buddy to let that thing idle down or get it fixed. Backfires can't be good on seals.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
The longer he idles it down, the longer the wait until it backfires. he can idle it for 30 seconds and it still really pops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.