Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would open up the secondary on the 97 Formula Deluxe today, and see if maybe its the issue why I can't go over 125KM/hr? Well I pulled the snap ring and washer off but the helix is stuck? Won't budge, loaded a can of Wurth Rost Off Ice on it and still nothing? Is this a common problem, machine has over 15K on it and I don't think the secondary has ever been touched. If I can't figure this out ill just buy another one and load the new spring and cam shoes I got into that one!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You need a press to push it in then move the sheeves and let helix come back up keep repeating until she comes out. I had same issue with mine. It was a bear i feel for ya good luck.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man that sucks, I might just bring it to a local guy that tinkers with these things and let him mess with it. Im ready to throw it off the wall!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Yes this is common for a secondary too seize up like that. you should be cleaning those clutches (both) every 2-4 hundred miles. Try rapping the helix with a rubber mallet if you have with the secondary on a flat surface, or try grabbing the inside sheave while someone holding the other one and try and move it back & forth til the sheave turns then it shouldturn & pop off the helix.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
When you do get er apart as stated above, clean er up good and put a little anti-seize on the stub shaft and helix before reassembly to prevent this down the road.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got this sled 2 years ago, The previous owner was all about maintaning things but I guess he forgot about the secondary
The primary was spotless when I took it apart but im changing the spring anyways. But this secondary is something else, I have tried tapping it, and I keept turing the sheve all the way around and letting it spin back hoping the force would jar it loose? been soaking it down with penetrating fluid and its running into that keyway on the helix, so I know it must be getting into the rust good. You just pop off that snap ring and the spring pressure pushes the helix out, right? I don't think im missing anything?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
No when you take the snap ring off and washer it should come right apart. Its froze on the center shaft that you took the clip and washer off of.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No when you take the snap ring off and washer it should come right apart. Its froze on the center shaft that you took the clip and washer off of.
Thats what I figured! my buddys giving me one for free, what its from I dont know? Are all stock helixs the same? Ill put the spring I got in that one. and Im guessing the spring should go in C-6. I can see its in 6 now but as for A,B or c postion I dont know?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
No helix's have different degree angles. You will need tp have same one.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Yes cams are not cheap!! check out ebay might be able too find one on there. You need to get the same as what you got, new secondary spring also!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes cams are not cheap!! check out ebay might be able too find one on there. You need to get the same as what you got, new secondary spring also!!!
yes I see it has 50 degree written on it, I do have a spring already and cam sliders. hopefully this secondary has the same degree helix in it. Ya I checked out ebay and didn't see much, but on the upside I did just win a brand new ZX cover on ebay and its still in the box from doo

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Smash a 2x6 or 2x4 into the clutch sheeves with a HEAVY hammer!!!

Lots of penetrating oil!! Watch out, it's spring loaded.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The bushings used by Ski-Doo in there clutches are sensitive to oil or lubricants. The service manuals state (no lubrication). So if your spraying something on the parts to free them up chances are the bushings will be swelling and that's another problem.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Nordic i have one a used one i put a clutch kit in mine pm me i will sell u mine cheap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bushings used by Ski-Doo in there clutches are sensitive to oil or lubricants. The service manuals state (no lubrication). So if your spraying something on the parts to free them up chances are the bushings will be swelling and that's another problem.
Yes I had read that too, I felt I had to try something?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I tried everything! finally had to destroy the thing
Smashed the helix off but still its center remained on the shaft, even drilled out the key way! heres some pics!

My link

1 - 20 of 34 Posts