Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
So I went to start my sled Sunday night and after 5 or 6 pumps on the primer I noticed it wasn't pushing the fuel through to the carbs so I kept trying to prime it but there must be a seal failure of some sort in the primer itself because I couldn't get the fuel to pump through which in turn wasn't allowing me to start the snowmobile I tried holding it WOT and pulling it but after about 10 pulls I jacked up my already screwed up rotator cuff, cussed it out,threw a dropkick on the side of the snowmobile and shoved it back in the corner of the shop. That being said it's snowing right now but it's going to be in the 50's by this weekend so I wanted to get some riding in before the end of the year is there a quick fix for that primer or does anyone know if I can just maybe spray some starter fluid in the carbs and start it that way any ideas from the collected geniuses of dootalk?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
Spray some wd 40 in the primer. Should help. If all else fails, pull the plugs and pour mix gas in the cylinder. Never use starting fluid on a 2 stroke.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
It's super dry and will cause piston damage !

Sent from my HTC One S

·
Registered
859 Posts
What they said. It's like draining the oil out of your car and then starting it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How empty is your fuel tank? If the spliced in tee is down low and the tank is low and the seals are iffy in the primer plunger it will have a hard time drawing gas. The primer on my indy was leaking gas around the plunger shatter the first couple times this winter after sitting dry all summer. I think she's singing the fat lady.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It primed and ran beautifully last week and I added 5 gal fuel Sunday cuz it was nearly empty and then no draw on the primer I'll mess w it when I get back today n see if I can get the fuel pumping.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Mine drys up every summer. A shot of fogging oil in the primer line and she's good all winter.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Just pump some pure 2 stroke oil into the primer and let it sit overnight. The oil will help seal up the O-Ring again.

There is an O-ring inside, along with 2 ball bearings that act as one way valves. Unfortunately, most of the time you will destroy the knob trying to get it off and it has to come off in order to get to the O-ring.

There is another thread that I took apart a primer and laid it out so people could see how they work and why they fail. The o-ring dries out. Soaking it can bring it back. Best to use just gas or 2 stroke oil though.

Of course, Primers are something like $15. So replacing is cheap too.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Make sure the primer line where it tees off from the main fuel line is not broken off or pinched. Kind of a stupid thing but I had a sled the other day the line pulled off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A quick follow up to the primer issue not sure what the original problem was got back last night to the shop actually unscrewed the gas cap pumped it a few times and it pulled the fuel right in not sure if maybe because it was completely empty then I filled it and put the cap on maybe there was too much seal or not enough vacuum pressure to pull the fuel through not really sure but I got it started right up then put about 60 miles in some terrible conditions but probably the last ride of the year so I'll deal with my chewed up skis next year lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts