Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question about drawing lines on the primary clutch with magic markers. I did this last week and ran my sled wide open but ran out of room for top speed. I would have thought even though the sled wasn't going full speed that the belt would have been riding all the way to the top of the primary. Today, I checked the clutch to see that there is about 1/4-1/2" of the line remaining on the primary. My clickers are on 2, there is a brand new belt on the sled and I am not sure of the RPM's because I was watching for bumps at 80 mph wouldn't be fun. Any suggestions? The deflection is set correctly.

·
Registered
137 Posts
saltalarev said:
Quick question about drawing lines on the primary clutch with magic markers. I did this last week and ran my sled wide open but ran out of room for top speed. I would have thought even though the sled wasn't going full speed that the belt would have been riding all the way to the top of the primary. Today, I checked the clutch to see that there is about 1/4-1/2" of the line remaining on the primary. My clickers are on 2, there is a brand new belt on the sled and I am not sure of the RPM's because I was watching for bumps at 80 mph wouldn't be fun. Any suggestions? The deflection is set correctly.
[snapback]301373[/snapback]​
You won't be able to get less than 1/4", that is the most I can get out of mine.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really?? I thought the belt should ride all the way to the top of the primary

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, it's stock with 1 1/4 track.

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Is This the orignal spring in there salty,has the clutch been cleaned and chkd to see if the buttons are not binding.It may just need cleaned
Rich

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GSX800HO said:
Is This the orignal spring in there salty,has the clutch been cleaned and chkd to see if the buttons are not binding.It may just need cleaned
Rich
[snapback]301441[/snapback]​
I don't know. All I know is the rings are good. how do i check this clutch thing. What color is the original spring?? Sure is "spring like" outside. where are these buttons and how do I check to see if they are binding? How do i clean it?

·
Doo Pilot
1,895 Posts
Wheres your shop manual ? Oh under the six pack of coors lite!
Rich

·
Registered
618 Posts
That little trick is for checking your gearing, if you are a half inch or more down the primary then you can go to a smaller top gear. If you don't race a lot then its not really a problem.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
What the above posts are trying to say is that the gearing your sled has in it now is at a ratio that is higher than the engine's HP could overcome (given the conditions at the time of the test). This is a good thing. You do not want your gearing so close to the edge that you could over rev your sled or even blow your belt off the clutch face.

The magic marker test is to see if your gearing/weight/helix is in the ball park. It sounds like yours is pretty close. This is not to say some gains in acceration and throttle response couldn't be had with a clutch kit or simple calibration changes.

If you are happy with the performance of the sled as is - great. If not, what are you unhappy with? If there is something wrong, then set up some tests to figure out what can be improved and test, test, test. Don't just change things so your sled will rub the marker off.

Good luck.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,652 Posts
If you have stock gears in it you won't. They are geared for about 125mph on the '03 800's. Drop down in gearing to what you think it will do. I've dropped down two and am using most of it up. You will also enjoy the response also!
-Grover

·
Registered
566 Posts
You will get closer to the top of the primary clutch when you achieve a higher top speed. It won't go up to the top if you don't max the sled out. And with stock gearing you'll run out of power before it achieves full shift unless the conditions are absolutely perfect (bare ice, tail wind, cold day, etc.)

Jon
'03 Rev 600 Sport

1 - 13 of 13 Posts