Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this every happened to anyone? Not my first time changing primary ramps, weights spring etc. It has always come off hard before but this time it sheared right off about 3/4 inch inside the outside clutch face so am left with the 2 1/2 inch socket end. No way to get in to reach the sheared off end. Any ideas or tools out there that can help me instead of getting bent over at the dealer for them to do it??? Some kind of easy out ? I can't imagine it will reverse all that easily....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Use a butane or propane torch. It should pop off. You already have it under pressure. Or stick your sled outside for the night let everything freeze. And then hit it with a torch. I've also had to hit the end of the puller bolt with a hammer and a punch. Not recommended though. That was on engine tear down. Heat the shaft in between the pulleys.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ya def go with the water method in the future. It really is much easier on your clutch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has this every happened to anyone? Not my first time changing primary ramps, weights spring etc. It has always come off hard before but this time it sheared right off about 3/4 inch inside the outside clutch face so am left with the 2 1/2 inch socket end. No way to get in to reach the sheared off end. Any ideas or tools out there that can help me instead of getting bent over at the dealer for them to do it??? Some kind of easy out ? I can't imagine it will reverse all that easily....
Same thing happened to me. After a little research get a pot of boiling water and pour it on the center of the clutch. Mine popped right off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just snug up the puller real good and pour hot water between the clutch sheaves on the shaft. That has worked for me every time.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Yep, use water and Teflon tape. Worst that can happen is, you have to back out and apply more water and tape. You'll never break a puller....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
685 Posts
Out of curiosity, was that an official BRP puller that broke or aftermarket?

I've never had one break, but the aftermarket puller I had bent - turned into an s-shaped deal - when I tried it on my 1000 crank. It took my older clutches off fine.

Got a real BRP puller, no problems since, used it on my 1000 - which, for some reason, practically welds the clutch to the crank - many, many times, no problems.

Iain

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use gas fitter tape(yellow) for the water method. It's thicker and more durable than regular Teflon tape. Best trick out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it was an aftermarket puller from royal distributing. Was my buddies puller, imagine he would have got it there because it was cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts