Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a typical RV 340 motor and when I went to put on the first half of the clutch on, I noticed that the clutch half almost hit the fins on the cases and there way no way the belt from the primary to 2ndary would ever line up. When I looked inside, i seen that despite the hole being tapered, the snub nose of the crank would never be able to go down and touch the bottom of the clutch half. Do these square shaft clutch halves vary in depth? I would need the depth of the hole in there about half the depth of what it is so the snub of the crank rests on the inside of it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the depth of the flush mount clutch half is not as deep and snub of crank rests on the inside stop, I'll look for one...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On Face Book and it was suggested that the motor mount studs may have to come over to the secondary to help with alignment? Are there different taper depths on these clutch halves? Starting to doubt myself now, lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
I was unaware that the Doo square-shaft clutches came in various depths. I thought all Doos of that era would have the same fitment. At least I'm assuming you are trying to fit a factory clutch and not a Comet or Polaris.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I am using a stock orange bell clutch that I put on most of my RV Sleds. This clutch half in particular is positioned to close to the motor cases and as a result is not allowing the belt to line up with the secondary. It appears the depth of the 30 mm taper hole is too deep. I'll need to post off the lap top IMG_25301.JPG IMG_25311.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the crank snub is not close to the bottom of the taper or the hole you see in the clutch half....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Just for reference:

1976 RV 250/340

1977 RV 340

1978 6500 plus/RV 340

1979 7500/9500

1980 7500/9500

1981 7500/9500

All the above use the same fixed(inner half) @ 504-2313 00

There may be others as these are all I looked up.

Reactions: RV crazy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Are you mismatching 245 & 345 parts. The chain case spacer has a diffrent # for both and i don't have 245 spacers to compare the lengh .

I know you have done a few of these!

Could you post an image of the crank stub & one image showing back side of the clutch while on the motor, i would like to see the space between the clutch and the cases.

What year is the chassis?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
76 RV motor plate and 77 RV chassis, the motor plate was shaved on the one underside to allow for the 77 Steering to go under without rubbing. For the heck of it I will pull a clutch from another RV and check out the bore depth and put it on the motor. If it's the same, then it's a mounting motor plate bolt issue, shimmed out chaincase or an illusion that makes it appears that the belt will never line up.....

Are you mismatching 245 & 345 parts. The chain case spacer has a different # for both and i don't have 245 spacers to compare the lengh .

I know you have done a few of these!

Could you post an image of the crank stub & one image showing back side of the clutch while on the motor, i would like to see the space between the clutch and the cases.

What year is the chassis?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts