Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have to premix my 97 mxz 670. I've put less than 100 miles on the sled before the fire so i dont know how much oil it usually consumes. I was wondering was is a safe amount of oil i still be running? A gallon per tank? half gallon?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Not nearly that much. You want to shoot for 50:1.

If that is a 10 gallon tank, then you want to put in about 26 oz of oil.

128 oz = gallon.

Easy way to remember this is 1 quart per 12.5 gallons. okay, maybe not easy. Go download the iPhone app "Gas Oil Mix" or "2T Ratio"

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,565 Posts
I agree 100% with that

I'd rather have a little more oil than not

32:1 is good for break in

After that, you can run down to 50:1

Just check your plugs

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I run all my pre-mix sleds at 40:1. You can run them at 32:1 if you want. Just more smoke.

Reactions: FastD00

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
A bit higher ratio on the first tank wont hurt. 50:1 should be fine.

Ok stand corrected here meant more oil for the 1st tank is ok.

After checking you want 32-33:1 synthetic 2 cycle oil for racing premix. 4oz/Gallon is 32:1

I would not run more oil than 32:1

Here is nifty spreadsheet and some info for calc of oil amounts per gallon:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/1159793-gas-to-oil-mixture-ratio-spreadsheet/

All this said, I would still run a 50:1 fully synthetic oil ratio (Amsoil Interceptor in my case). If conventional oil then no I would run closer to 32-40:1.

Try 32:1 full synthetic and see how things run. If you are fouling plugs and have a lot of carbon build up then increase your ratio until you are happy with the performance.

Sticking with even amounts, 3oz/gallon will result in about 42:1 ratio.

Somewhere between 32-50:1 you will likely find good operations.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I believe 2.6oz to gallon is 50:1 ratio. With that said I always run 3 oz to 1 gallon when mixing fuel for all my 2 stroke toys

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It is not dependent on the oil or opinion. The MFR specifies it based on the special needs of the engine.

Unfortunately there is no published ratio as the sled was a injector mix.

I would avoid 50:1 and stay closer to 40:1. injected engines dump undiluted oil into into the crankcase. The intent is to keep the lower end bearings lubed.

More modern injected engines sparingly push the oil directly into the bearings . That allows them to run much lower ratios.

My 300hp etec outboard does this and has 2 computer setting for the type of oil. the leanest it runs is about 55:1. If you use lesser rated oil you can set the computer to push more like 38:1

The lean setting requires more expensive oil. I can use 1 gallon a day on the lean setting at $32-$48 per gallon

I would run 40:1 with any bargain brand synthetic snow oil. You can get that for about $24.00 maybe even less.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Keep in mind that more oil means that there is less fuel in any given amount of pre-mix.

having less fuel means that your Fuel/Air ratio is leaner.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
You can buy a mixing bottle with marks and ratio's on it. I think it's in 1,2,and 2.5 gallon intervals with multiple mix ratio's for each.

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,565 Posts
Go on Amazon......look up QuickMix.....they are $5 .....we gave used them for years. They name it quick and easy

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I would think most of us already know there is 128 oz/ gallon. 128/1/40=3.2 oz per gallon. or simply 128/40 = 3.2 if you need the bottle to tell you how much we need to go back to 4th grade.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
It's more for ease of use. And if you fill up with say 4.5 gallons its alot easier to get the ratio correct. I carry 2 qts on my sled while riding and the oil bottles don't have markings on them. I don't like to estimate when it comes to making sure my engine has enough oil.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Amsoil interceptor is not premix oil. Its injection oil. If you need premix and like amsoil get amsoil dominator oil it is their premix oil. I use the interceptor in the mach z and dominator oil at 32:1 in my 85 suzuki lt250r quadracer. Most guys are mixing at 50:1 i don't see why the factory manual says 32:1 . I would rather offend the tree huggers than keep rebuilding motors as i get no sponsored dollars from the tree huggers at all.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
50:1 is less oil. 32:1 is more oil. And you can mix interceptor without issue. Been doing it for years. Even says on the container " can be used for premix applications as well as injection oil" Dominator is the racing oil. It gums up the power valves and fouls plugs. Fine for racing where it's wfo the whole time but for a trail sled it doesn't work so well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts