Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 05 ss500 and rode about 5000kms with the precision skis. I found with the precisions on my rev, you really were not sure if the front was going to push or not. I tried to increase the front spring pressure, only to make it too stiff to steer. I was able to ride a 06 500 with pilots back and forth with my own machine and found the pilots turned easier but not much more bite. So I installed Simmons this weekend. Here is what I found. I had to back of the ski pressure a lot to make it reasonable to turn. Once I did this machine was on rails. The Simmons really bite. All the push was gone and it turned like my old Polaris edge chassis did. The Simmons are no easier to steer then the precisions but they turn much better. Don't be fooled by the similarities in design, they are not the same skis.
I weigh 175lbs and ride trail speeds but some aggressive riding as well. This is what worked best for me.
The setup with precisions: front skis 3rd position, rear suspension 1st position
The setup with Simmons: front skis 1st position, rear suspension 2nd position on front shock 1st on rear
As a side note, I was out on lake in powder and that was where these skis were awesome (they are powder skis). In 10 inches of powder the machine really turned. In fact I was worried the back end was going to come around the front stuck so well.
Based on my experience Simmons is the way to go.

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
DIRTDAWG44 said:
I have a 05 ss500 and rode about 5000kms with the precision skis. I found with the precisions on my rev, you really were not sure if the front was going to push or not. I tried to increase the front spring pressure, only to make it too stiff to steer. I was able to ride a 06 500 with pilots back and forth with my own machine and found the pilots turned easier but not much more bite. So I installed Simmons this weekend. Here is what I found. I had to back of the ski pressure a lot to make it reasonable to turn. Once I did this machine was on rails. The Simmons really bite. All the push was gone and it turned like my old Polaris edge chassis did. The Simmons are no easier to steer then the precisions but they turn much better. Don't be fooled by the similarities in design, they are not the same skis.
I weigh 175lbs and ride trail speeds but some aggressive riding as well. This is what worked best for me.
The setup with precisions: front skis 3rd position, rear suspension 1st position
The setup with Simmons: front skis 1st position, rear suspension 2nd position on front shock 1st on rear
As a side note, I was out on lake in powder and that was where these skis were awesome (they are powder skis). In 10 inches of powder the machine really turned. In fact I was worried the back end was going to come around the front stuck so well.
Based on my experience Simmons is the way to go.
[snapback]712555[/snapback]​
Yep
All my friends swear buy em, I will have to pick up a set next season. Sorta strapped for cash right now.

·
Registered
975 Posts
04renegade600ho said:
I went with Simmons this year and very happy so far..
[snapback]713009[/snapback]​
So you fellows are all finding the Simmons better than the Precisions? The poor cornering in loose snow is gone? Saw a thread over on Totallyamaha where someone was saying that some of that characteristic is in the Simmons. ?? I liked the bite of my deep keel ski-doo skiis, but went with the Precisions because the other ones darted so bad.

·
Registered
691 Posts
How right this post is!!!!

My sled came with Powder Pros, HATED THEM - almost as badly as Precisions. Backed off on ski pressure, just like its was explained above. The Simmons RAIL, the Powder Pros felt extremely tippy. SD should have bought the Simmons design from the start and they would have had the ultimate machine, no need to lower the from end on the sleds for 06, they're really that good!

Good thing my wife rides her sled on a rare occasion, as I took her Simmons and put the new Pilots on her machine.

Didn't knwo the Simmons made that much of a difference over the Precisions and Powder Pros until I tried all three on the same machine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also upgraded to Simmons from Precisions this year and man they are awesome.They are definately the best all around ski on the market.I'm about the same weight as The Dawg and use the same spring set-up.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
1BadZ said:
04renegade600ho said:
I went with Simmons this year and very happy so far..
[snapback]713009[/snapback]​
So you fellows are all finding the Simmons better than the Precisions? The poor cornering in loose snow is gone? Saw a thread over on Totallyamaha where someone was saying that some of that characteristic is in the Simmons. ?? I liked the bite of my deep keel ski-doo skiis, but went with the Precisions because the other ones darted so bad.
[snapback]713355[/snapback]​
I won't say the push is COMPLETELY eliminated but very close. No comparision to the precision!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts