Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how are u feeling about the pre studded tracks? Is there a noticeable diff in traction over none pre studded. I know the traditional studs hook up the best. But I'm interested in the new ice attack xt I think over my ripsaw. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I've owned Ripsaws and I've owned IceAttacks. Buy the IceAttack and enjoy it.

This is just me but I won't stud another track and I won't own another regular track.

I'm a big fan of the prestudded stuff, and the IceAttack is one of the better ones.

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
I've owned Ripsaws and I've owned IceAttacks. Buy the IceAttack and enjoy it.

This is just me but I won't stud another track and I won't own another regular track.

I'm a big fan of the prestudded stuff, and the IceAttack is one of the better ones.
100% spot on

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I will toss this in there...i rode with a ice attack last year vs my brothers xrs with a ice ripper, i could usually holeshot him and get a half sled out on him. Now this year im using the ice cobra 1.6, lost a bunch of top end but corner to corner in the woods is amazing, and it turns just fine too!! Imo its the best track ive ever used for my riding style

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
My first time with a prestudded track this year. The jury is still out. I have a 16 xrs 800 and ice attak 1.22. I put 310 miles on so far. The studs look like they are all starting to lean back and I was trying not to spin it. If you ride agressive I would not recommend it if you are used to studs. When the snow is brushed off the trail and you hit icy corners the track will spin with just a slight stab at the throttle. I had the rear end slide out on me at speed going through a sweeper in the fields. Try to wheelie a mud hole, the track spins. When snow conditions are good, then the track is fine. I'm sure a non studded track would spin allot more for me, but I was expecting a little more than what I got. I'm not sure which way I'd go if I had to do it over again. I'll put some more miles on and see how it goes. I don't have the confidence to run like I'm used too in poor conditions with this track.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I will toss this in there...i rode with a ice attack last year vs my brothers xrs with a ice ripper, i could usually holeshot him and get a half sled out on him. Now this year im using the ice cobra 1.6, lost a bunch of top end but corner to corner in the woods is amazing, and it turns just fine too!! Imo its the best track ive ever used for my riding style
I have to agree with this statement... so far in 3 1/2 winters i've had stock ripsaw studs 2 per row, a 1.75 BCX track with double backer 1.87 studs, now running a 1.6 ice cobra... My feeling is so far this is the best track for me, decent deep snow performance, showed me 108 on speedo down the lake with 2" of snow. it definately does not have "bite" on ice, but in every other instant it just plain hooks up... dont think i will stud a track again.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
olEXTerminator, I'm surprised by what you're seeing with the studs. My last IceAttack had over 5,000 miles on it and still looked like new.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How much did you lose on top? How would you rate the traction compared to the Ice Attack XT?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ice attack 1.375 was a great track, I had one..

If you just trail ride pre studded tracks are great

If you are into beating your buddies in a drag race, and need real traction, then they are not the way to go

·
Registered
38 Posts
The ice attack is not worth the extra money over a none studded track . No where close to the same traction as studded ,you are giving up a lot of low end performance of the mighty 1200 and safety if not studded. Just my experience.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
How much did you lose on top? How would you rate the traction compared to the Ice Attack XT?
No concrete numbers but compared to other new 1200's about 6-8 mph loss. The traction on trails is amazing, it feels like a studded track, on ice it will spin a little more than the ice attack. But like i said, the corner to corner acceleration is worth it where i ride for sure

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
The ice attack is not worth the extra money over a none studded track . No where close to the same traction as studded ,you are giving up a lot of low end performance of the mighty 1200 and safety if not studded. Just my experience.
I'd bet by the time you buy the studs the Ice Attack isn't any more $$$ - I could be wrong.

I know for a fact when you pull a stud through a regular track or send a lost stud into the heat exchanger the Ice Attack is a lot cheaper. :)

I will agree a studded track offers better all out traction, but for many, including myself, the hassles aren't worth the improvement. For me a prestudded track is the best balance of added traction without the headaches.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
olEXTerminator, I'm surprised by what you're seeing with the studs. My last IceAttack had over 5,000 miles on it and still looked like new.
The studs still look good, they're just leaning a bit. Just like the ones on my dirtbike years ago. When they lean, they lose effectiveness.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
First year with an Ice Cobra. Not had a lot of seat time because conditions here are so bad. Lots of ice, and frozen bare ground. So actually great conditions to see what the prestuds can do. It hooks up better than I expected. I think I would be hard pressed to say it is as good as my former studded tracks though, but I never felt like I did not have control on the icy trails. I have also had unstudded tracks and they spin like crazy on ice. I have not had the best conditions to find out how much it is reducing my top end. That would be my only criticism. But honestly, the thing is great on the trail and actually way better off trail that I had imagined. I don't see myself going back to a hard pack trail only or conventional studded track any time soon. At least those are my impressions so far.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got the ice Attack xt 1.22 great trail track & no tearout worries You can cut down on the ski preasure

so it stears easy,Its nice to be able to kick out the back end to help go around some turns rather than allways wanting to

push in a turn.It's cheaper than buying a track & studding it

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
something else many dont consider...and I found to be the biggest reason I dont miss studs.

My studs after approx one season would be rounded off, no longer pointy. They lasted much longer but were never pointy anymore.

My ice attak studs after 5000 miles, were POINTY and SHARP like the day I bought track, they are designed to remain sharp as they are thin and dont lose their sharpness as they wear.

This to me means everything, cause I loved my studs early on, but after 1500 or so miles, they would be rounded and dull and no longer had any bite at all on icy surfaces, where the ice attak is always the same over its lifetime.

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts