Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ok, Nothing earth shattering this year from Doo but I think I'm going to pre-order a sled.

I'm down to my short list but I value all the information I get on this forum - It's always experience

based and not biased toward what's the fastest, best looking sled, etc. Very functional, practical feedback.

Ok, I have a 2012 SWT, a 2005 Expedition TUV 600 SDI, a 2005 GTX LTD 600 SDI. Have had a 2006 Renegade 600 SDI, and an ancient '94 MX470 :).

I'm looking for another sled to possibly replace (not necessarily) the GTX - It's cursed - Everybody bangs it up, I just had the 4th hood crack - Rear ending my 2005 Exp at a stop. Not me mind you, but I have guests up a lot that ride. I've never broken anything on that sled. :) On my last trip one of my buddies rear ended the Expedition at a stop (slow) and pushed into me on my SWT hard enough for the hitch on the SWT to punch a small hole in the plastic part of the bumper/hood mount on the Expedition! - No damage to the rear of the Exp but the hood cracked on the GTX, some internal plastic mounts cracked, etc. Non-functional expensive crap to replace. :)

Note that when guests come up they all want to ride the GTX since they could never ride 'that huge sled' (My 2005 Expedition) but once I get them on the Expedition they love the handling and stability on the trail and I can't get them off it so this is another reason I'm leaning toward a long track and something stable.

The steering on my Exp is very 'dead' which I and most folks love - You could ride through cobblestones or cut off stumps and hold the bar with one hand and barely feel it. The GTX you feel every pebble in the trail which is lively for experienced riders but throws off new ones.

I'd only let experienced riders on my SWT since the handling with the Pogo's on that big sled takes some getting used to. Much less now with the Simmons skis but it's still a big sled to handle.

Anyway here is my criteria:

• We occassionally boondock. My Old Renegade with a 136 was ok, the GTX will get stuck
    1 foot off the trail (it's only a .88 track also) - The 137 on the sport is nice but I really like the 154.
  • Ideally something fairly rugged if possible.
  • Light if possible (All meet this criteria compared to my current 'beasts'.
  • I like long tracks as they slide less around turns, especially for new riders.
  • I want the learning keys and modes of the 600 or 900 so those are the only 2 engines
    I'm considering.
  • As a bonus It would be good if it's something I'd like to ride that's different.
  • I like racks, storage, etc.
  • Biggest thing is I want something a new rider can't get into to too much trouble with.

I thought about an MXZ TNT but short tracks slide too much in bad conditions for new riders.

Ok, my short list is:

• A Tundra LT or Sport with the ACE 600.
    Note that I'd probably throw some Simmons Gen II's on it to improve the handling
    of the Pogo's and widen (sort of due to the dual keels) the stance a little.
    My only concern is the tippyness of this with the narrow stance but with the 600
    but nobody is going to be doing 90mph lake runs on these machines so I'm not sure how
    much trouble they can get into. Also they'll respond a lot better to leaning than my SWT.
    The ruggedness of the front end compared to A arms appeals to me although they don't
    handle nearly as well on the trail.
    The sport would be nice but I like the 154 with 1.5" paddles for stability and potential boon docking - The articulated track is nice also and I could leave it up for tighter trail handling.
  • An Expedition Sport with the 900 ACE
    Would be a fun (light) trail sled for me.
    I'd probably pull the rear seat off or at least the backrest.
    Stock ski's might be fine on this.
    Plenty of power
    Not sure the XS chassis is as rugged as the XU
    Will handle great on the trail and would be good for some boondocking.

All are reasonabily priced, the Tundra's are bargains. The LT is actually $100 less than last year

down here in the US, not sure why. I also have no problem throwing some extras on to make them

handle better (10" wide Simmons Gen II's will be my first addition - The dual keels steer something wicked).

I had considered a new Expedition LE with the 900 but that's probably more than I need for what I'm looking for. Also although it's great for road crossings and slow running I find some 'newbees' get confused with the 2 speed trans. I could still be pushed in this direction though. Also I'd probably end up loving that as my 2005 Expedition with 8000 miles on it is still my favorite sled handling wise and that's the old heavy Yeti Chassis. As hard as it is to believe I like my 2005 Exp handling than I did my former Renegade or the 2005 Exp. Note it does have Simmons Gen II's on it (old ones now) and that reduced the plowing in corners a lot.

P.S. My buddy who works at a Doo dealership who I ride with thinks I should go with the Tundra Sport as it's cheap, rugged, and economical. :)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just another note - All 3 of those have engine oil coolers, and Air Radiators which I want also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered the 2015 SWT 900 ACE. I wanted the 4 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The Expedition sport 600 or 900 ace probably fits your requirement the best . The Tundra sport has a very short track and yes it's tippy, and i don't think adding 10" wide skis will help with such a short track, infact the friction from the wide skis might cause the track to spin out more than usual. Tundra LT 600 ace (2014 or later model) is fine and isn't too tippy unless your at speed on hard pack then that's a different story.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Samoyed:

Thanks, that's what I thought. I never rode a Tundra Sport but I always heard they were tippy. I did ride an Extreme which has the same track length as the LT with bigger paddles, the same Ski Stance, and much more engine and that didn't seem too bad to me unless you tried to lake race it. :)

Those videos are great.

Ok, so now the short list looks like it's the Tundra LT or the Expedition Sport - I would opt for the 900 if I got the sport - Just a little more power for that big track.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
From most of the reviews and people i have talked to the difference between the 600 and 900 ace is the availability of the power. Most will drive a 900 ace like a 600 ace but when they need the hp it's available. Kind of like having a manual engage turbo without the turbo. Also the 900 ace is a much smoother ride as is normal with three cylinder engines. One of the cylinders is the dedicated power stroke so you don't get any where near as much lurching when you let off the throttle as with 2 cylinder engines which have a rather sudden engine breaking effect.

Samoyed:

Thanks, that's what I thought. I never rode a Tundra Sport but I always heard they were tippy. I did ride an Extreme which has the same track length as the LT with bigger paddles, the same Ski Stance, and much more engine and that didn't seem too bad to me unless you tried to lake race it. :)

Those videos are great.

Ok, so now the short list looks like it's the Tundra LT or the Expedition Sport - I would opt for the 900 if I got the sport - Just a little more power for that big track.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't ride them on the same chassis but I have a friends MXZ TNT trail sled with an ACE 600 in my Barn that I've ridden and I test rode a 900 ACE in a Renegade chassis - I loved both, quiet and both pull like tractors from the low end. The ACE 600 moves like it's electric and can crawl right along. On her TNT if she's 75 feet away going by with low to moderate throttle you hear the track not the engine. Very quiet.

In the Renegade chassis I thought the 900 ACE pulled harder than the 600 ETEC up to maybe 50, maybe 60, then I think the ETEC would pull away a little faster.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Expedition 900 ACE with the Tundra LT 600 in a close, but getting more distant second. I'll love riding the exp with that 900 and with the learning key, 3 modes, and the fact that that either engine is just more tractible than the 600 E-Tec I'll feel better letting newbees ride it.

Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody for all your advice/input. I pre-ordered a 2015 Expedition Sport 900 ACE. :)

I think it'll be perfect for guests with the learning key and different modes and I'll have a blast on it with the 900.

I can also use it off trail or for utility, which for me usually is trail work or pulling a trailer.

People tell me I'm way, way too nice to my friends and family. :) My friends/family vary from "How did they

even get their car license" to Power sport nuts so there is a wide variance and I think this will fit them all.

I took the $250 off instead of the 4th year bumper to bumper. Anything that's going to break I'll break by then. :)

I may opt for the $100 off the wrap kit but I'm not sure yet (they didn't need to know right away).

I intend to take the rear seat off, has anybody done that - I looked up the parts diagram and it looks like it'll unbolt

pretty cleanly). I'll probably try just without the backrest first.

Mods I'm already planning:

• XS X-Country steel front bumper
    (Protection when my buddies are driving it :) ).
  • Some sort of rear bumper reinforcement or HD bumper.
  • Multiple 12v outlets - I'll wire at least one constant on
  • The new Engine/Outside deluxe cluster module from Doo
  • Probably a higher windshield from Doo
  • Possibly Simmons Ski's, not sure yet.
  • Some sort of cargo box - Not sure if I'll go with the quick connect doo system due to cost of the bags, etc.
    or I may fabricate it myself.
  • Aux lights (The XS LED ones in the catelog don't fit the Exp)
  • Left Hand Throttle (Have one on my SWT and 2005 Exp TUV)
    I'm not sure how the 'flip' throttle will effect this but I'll figure it out.
  • I'd love to get a heated seat insert (Hey, I'm getting old you know… :) )
  • Mirrors
  • Probably a back up work light like I put on my SWT.

Not sure what else but I'm excited.

Additionally I picked up a new 2015 accessory catelog that somebody posted here.
Holy cow they have a lot of new stuff. I like the receiver bumpers but their prices for the inserts are nuts.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts