Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traced my tuning problems to my Superlite can. After extensive mods to my motor, the can is too "tight" so I need to look for a free-flowing can like the Dynoport design. Anyone want to trade? The Superlite will give 3-4 HP over stock (and yes, I have the dynochart). If you have a stock motor you won't find a better can - do a search and see. They have the best finish and were the originators of the aftermarket can. The Dynoport doesn't give any added HP (less than one according to Rich at Dynoport) and is simply made to compliment their pipe so if you're running one on a stock sled you'd be wise to consider this trade!

Thanks!

G MAN

·
Registered
619 Posts
gman086 said:
Traced my tuning problems to my Superlite can. After extensive mods to my motor, the can is too "tight" so I need to look for a free-flowing can like the Dynoport design. Anyone want to trade? The Superlite will give 3-4 HP over stock (and yes, I have the dynochart). If you have a stock motor you won't find a better can - do a search and see. They have the best finish and were the originators of the aftermarket can. The Dynoport doesn't give any added HP (less than one according to Rich at Dynoport) and is simply made to compliment their pipe so if you're running one on a stock sled you'd be wise to consider this trade!

Thanks!

G MAN
[snapback]703407[/snapback]​
Interesting. I thought previously you were dissing on Dynoport and now you want one?

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AlaskanSD said:
gman086 said:

Thanks!

G MAN
[snapback]703407[/snapback]​
Interesting. I thought previously you were dissing on Dynoport and now you want one?

[snapback]703418[/snapback]​
Dissed them? Explain? I once brought up the fact they don't make any power in their cans and that their pipes usually work better on stock motors not ported motors. That is HARDLY a diss! I have a pipe laying around so I simply want to experiment with my current motor setup.

Cheers,

G MAN

·
Registered
619 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I recalled someone with a stock motor trying to tune his jetting, and you told him to ditch the dynoport as it was screwing up his jetting. So I considered that a diss on dynoport regardless of HP.

No worries though! Good luck!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Have run two 05 Summit 600 ho 144 both with 600 miles one with a Dynoport and one stock suitcase, and the canned sled would walk away from the stock not by much would take half sled lead and slowly pull away. Now after i put a set of Boyesen on the canned sled would jump out sled and a half off the start and then walk away. So now both are running dynoports and Boyesen rad valves, and will put another Dynoport can on the back up as well as Boyesen.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
sledhound said:
Have run two 05 Summit 600 ho 144 both with 600 miles one with a Dynoport and one stock suitcase, and the canned sled would walk away from the stock not by much would take half sled lead and slowly pull away. Now after i put a set of Boyesen on the canned sled would jump out sled and a half off the start and then walk away. So now both are running dynoports and Boyesen rad valves, and will put another Dynoport can on the back up as well as Boyesen.
[snapback]705053[/snapback]​
You'd be impressed with the Superlite (or HPS or Thing) then as they add even more than the Dynoport could (Dynoport adds one HP max according to Rich and their website). But that's the drawback for me as anything tighter than a Dynoport (or stock can) will cause my specific motor problems (detonation issues with mods I've done) due to simple physics: more backpressure = more HP but more potential for detonation (especially with a mod motor but not typically with stock). There is no question in my mind that a Superlite (or HPS or Thing) is a better can for a stocker motor. I'll probably end up selling my Superlite on E-Bay and going with the stock can for now.

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
468 Posts
This is interesting, because I just ordered my piston and domes from RK Teck and Kelsey told me that I should put my stock can back on even after doing such a major mod. because he said, and I quote " aftermarket cans are often to restrictive", but I am going to test this theory just for my own piece of mind

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Turbo said:
This is interesting, because I just ordered my piston and domes from RK Teck and Kelsey told me that I should put my stock can back on even after doing such a major mod. because he said, and I quote " aftermarket cans are often to restrictive", but I am going to test this theory just for my own piece of mind

[snapback]705953[/snapback]​
Kelsey is exactly right which is why I either need to use stock or a free flowing can like Dynoport. Aftermarket cans that make any claims use BACKPRESSURE to add HP (contrary to what you'd expect but we are dealing with 2 strokes NOT 4 strokes). That's why you'll see more improvement at altitude - these tight cans (PPP, HPS, Thing) make up for the light air and resultant drop in backpressure by using sonic wave reflectance to add back the pressure normally seen at sea level. Stock motors have plenty of room for dealing with this (and cans are a good mod for them) but modded motors do not.

Cheers,

G MAN

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
gman086 said:
Turbo said:

[snapback]705953[/snapback]​
Kelsey is exactly right which is why I either need to use stock or a free flowing can like Dynoport. Aftermarket cans that make any claims use BACKPRESSURE to add HP (contrary to what you'd expect but we are dealing with 2 strokes NOT 4 strokes). That's why you'll see more improvement at altitude - these tight cans (PPP, HPS, Thing) make up for the light air and resultant drop in backpressure by using sonic wave reflectance to add back the pressure normally seen at sea level. Stock motors have plenty of room for dealing with this (and cans are a good mod for them) but modded motors do not.

Cheers,

G MAN
[snapback]706006[/snapback]​
What about SLP Can ???

Am planing to use it with Kelsey kit...

·
Registered
682 Posts
gman, not sure what your modding but the Dp can was too tight for my mod 700 even at higher altitudes. FWIW DP used a couple different internal baffle plate designs. 1 has holes, the other uses more a a louvered slot design. In my experience the holed baffles seem to be tighter cans.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BMEP said:
gman, not sure what your modding but the Dp can was too tight for my mod 700 even at higher altitudes. FWIW DP used a couple different internal baffle plate designs. 1 has holes, the other uses more a a louvered slot design. In my experience the holed baffles seem to be tighter cans.
[snapback]709947[/snapback]​
I think it's going to have to be stock for me (tho I would love to lose the weight of that suitcase!). Today I tried a Dynoport pipe with stock can. Didn't make it 10 minutes before overheating and coolant everyWHERE! Good thing I brought along the stock pipe; Kuzitrin was there riding with us and swapped it out in LESS than a minute (used to wrench on planes - that guy is GOOD!). No problems the rest of the day.

Talked with BJ about this yesterday too. I think the bottom line is ANY aftermarket exhaust that boosts HP does so by increasing backpressure which you should NOT do with a motor using high compression heads on the edge of safe(mine are for 4,000 feet and above but the snow parks are at 3,000 feet). If anyone knows of a can that doesn't add backpressure but doesn't lose HP I'm all ears!

Happy Trails my Friends!

G MAN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.