Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello doo talkers. First off I haven't gone riding at all this year!!!! Crashing dirt bikes in the fall is a very stupid and a great sledding season ruiner. So this has given me lots of time to tinker and think about sledding rather then do my usual sledbum lifestyle during winter.

Any ways since i have ALOT of time to tinker with a new sled i got thinking about getting a Power Bloc 80 clutch for my 2014 146" Freeride and i was wondering if any one has tried this set up with the 146" track and how did the sled respond to it? yes its stock and its only got 1.3km on it so im basically planning what im doing to this sled ahead of time.

I have the PB80 on my 2011 154" Freeride pre calibrated from Bill Cudney and I am pretty impressed with every thing about this clutch so far. Also did i mention how well this sled responded to this pre calibrated clutch? It grabs on and pulls hard untill you let off. The response is way better then the TRA and it basically does every thing i want when i want it to.

So i guess my question is has any one tried this clutch on a 146" XM in the mountains? also did it trench more? and since the 154 likes to stand up i was wondering if will i be flipping backwards every where on the 146?

Thanks for the info!

dave

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sooo no ones tried this combo yet?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Its basically the same engine and chassis only a tad shorter, so if it worked for you on the last sled it should work on the new one.
Exactly, from my experience going back to my first use of PB 50's (little 8 lb version of the 80) in 05 on a pair of 550 fan Summits I was sold. I'd shoot myself before ever messing around with a TRA. So when I built my 08 TNT into a 365 lb Mtn Mod one the first things I did was buy a takeoff PB50 from a SnoHawk and fit it to my 600 carb engine. Just finished building another TNT for my wife with a 16 X 137 X 1.75 track and put a PB80 on it. It also runs very smooth.

I highly reccommend using a Shockwave helix with the PB clutchs. You will learn stuff you never imagined when it only takes 30 seconds to flip the side panel open and change helix angle from 42 degrees to 38 degrees etc. So far I have only used straight angle arms on the Shockwave and I should get one set of normal progressive just to find out the difference.

For springs in the QRS I have used the Green 180 - 303lbs and the Blue Blue 157 -221lbs. The Green is real easy to tune but with the Blue Blue in mine last year in the Mtns my sled ran the strongest it ever has walked away from a 08 XP 154 on the trail no problem who had one of the popular named clutch kits. I'm sure climbing with his much bigger track and HP he could high mark me no problem.

For primary springs I like the 130/290 , 100/290, 100/260, 130/260 in doo which fit in the small PB50

For the PB80 they are just a bit to big of diameter and so I converted all the CVTech springs from Newtons to Lbs so I have and idea about which 4 or 5 different springs to order.

For me tuning with the PB clutch's has been accomplished with a combo of primary and secondary springs and weight in the PB and of course helix angle.

Example of tuning, had done a week of riding in Wy at 9000 to 11000 ft and had my sled completely dialed, worked awesome. So I meet up with a friend in the Black Hills to ride at 6000 ft. I just dial up the helix angle and add a couple washers to the PB and I've got my 8100 R's right on the money.

Problem is the sled is so violent on the bottom end into the mid range the skis are constantly in the air a foot or two when climbing. Also mid range and above acceleration was flat.

In the Black Hills when climbing your going through tight trees almost everywhere 10 ft to 20 ft apart, dang hard to miss them with yours skis a foot or two in the air. My friend who is a lot sharper than me on clutching suggested dialing the Shockwave helix way down to the 38 or 39 degrees and weighting up the PB almost as much as the pucks will hold. The difference was amazing, it pulled hard from the bottom all the way to top of the hills and never stopped pulling. This is what I always shoot for now.

The PB80 is used by the doo 4 stroke guys and also with turbos. The TRA's were falling apart at very low miles because the 4 stroke has a lot less power impulses compared even to a 2 cylinder 2 stroke.

SkiDoo used to use PB clutches on there fans but switched to a TRA when I think they found a cheaper supplier to build there clutches. I suspect CVTech used to build the older TRA's as they have all the parts for them.

Polaris just started delivering their 550 fans with CVTech PB primary and their Secondary also. That has to be exploding some Polaris guys heads as they think the polaris primary is a gift from the snow gods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts