Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Power Bloc 80 clutch on my 08 800r adrenaline. I bought the clutch in Jan 2013. I got about 300 miles on the clutch when the big Nut that holds the clutch cover on some how came loose and wore the hole in the clutch cover from hexagon to round and also chewed up the washer behind the nut. I sent an email and a video where I had bought it from and they replaced it, But I had to pay the shipping to send it back, Which was not a problem. I sent the clutch back on Feb 28/2013. My Skidooing was done for the year as I was a while getting the new clutch back. When I finally got the new clutch come, Under Warranty, there was no snow to try it. This winter I put about 200 miles with the boys on the clutch all good. I took the missis for a ride and got about 50 miles when I herd the clutch making the same noise as the last time. I was not impressed. I am pretty sure I still have warranty on the clutch but not worth my time to be getting 300 miles out of a new one every year as it seems. So I sized up what was going on and realized that the nut and washer only holds the cover of the clutch on. So, Clutch Pic.jpg I work in a metal Fab shop and brought the clutch in today and had the cover tig welded to the shaft. I may not be able to service the clutch anymore but I can guarantee you that the cover will not come loose anymore. I am not sure why that nut keeps coming loose, But it seems to be a fault there somewhere. Any thoughts or anybody have any comments about this issue would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
The nut was to be torqued 95-110 ft lbs and the washer has a concave side that goes towards the cap.

I guess you'll be ok till you need any kind of service. Did anyone ever take the cap off and see how the pucks and holders were?

Sometimes a welder is not a cure all.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have run PB 50 and 80's since 05 and if they are put together correctly that shouldn't happen.

Correctly means, cover and weight pucks seated correctly, correctly means weight pucks have two ways to go in the slots, one wrong, one right

The cover has to sit on the hex on the end of the shaft, takes some wiggling around usually to get the movable to line up and the bushing to slip onto the shaft down inside the clutch. Could see somebody messing that up pretty easy.

Once the cover and movable are COMPLETELY on the shaft, cover engaging the hex, then the washer goes on with

the indent on one side of the washer facing the cover and the hex on the shaft, then its torqued to about 95 lbs, then you put your clutch bolt in and torque it to about 95 lbs.

So you end up with the large nut holding cover onto the shaft and engaging that hex and then the clutch bolt on top of that nut holding it some more. Heck the PB80's are holding turboed 4 stroke torque and HP.

If you just the receive the clutch and bolt it on then its the vendors fault. Personally I won't trust my sled to any dealer or shop, when I ride in the mtns your life could depend on your sled. In the same vein when I put PB80 on my wifes 09 I took it apart and changed springs, weights etc and put back together and it runs flawless.

Super easy clutch to work on, I can remove cover and change weights in 5 minutes, spring change in 10 minutes,

in the snow up on the mountain before we take off for the day. But you need to spend the $30 bucks or so for holding tool for the cover and get a good torque wrench and a 36 mm socket (Sears has them and reasonable price)

and your good to go.

I looked at the manual for the PB's and it does call for loctite on the big nut which I have never done.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Thats the same manual I have.

Here is a link to a 3 page thread I wrote back in 07 on the PB 50 clutches because I was getting so many request on how

to work on them and tune them.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/140014-550-clutch-tutorial/?hl=+lrd

I should go back and update some of it as I haved learned a ton more about how to make them sing. Especially since 08 when I bought a PB50 off of a 600HO SnowHawk and put it on my 08 TNT 629 mountain mod. The real secret to it is combining the PB, 50 or 80 with a Shockwave adjustable helix.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My clutch came all assembled. Because of what happened last time, I double checked the torque on the nut, and yes I ordered the holding tool with the clutch as they called me a advised me to order it, so I did.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
The only other thing I can think of that might adversely affect that cover could be a lot of crank run out, over 5 or 6 thou

which does happen with the 800's (8 thou plus sometimes). But with a lot of run out it will really vibrate the sled and handlebars,

so pretty easy to notice.

I have almost every thread written on the PB's on DooTalk and pretty sure this the only time anybody has had this happen.

There is always a reason when stuff breaks, just have to figure out the why.

You might also call CV Tech in Michigan direct, they might have some idea .

http://www.cvtech-aab.com/contenu/index_ang.cfm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts