Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm really stumped here so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have a 1980 Citation 4500 "Electro", has electric start.

-Electric start works.

-Both coils look in good condition.

-Has points, no cdi.

Here's the problem. I can't get it to spark a spark plug (I swear I've tried 15 different plugs, new old, doesn't matter!!) but, if you shove a screw driver into the plug cap, and turn the engine over, it juices you, Seriously. With the electric start it actually hurt my hand, and I'm no "edited for inappropriate term", I get shocked all the time. It's got plenty of power.

I can strip the insulated casing off the coil wire and get the bare wire to spark when held close to the engine cooling fins or intake port, same with hay wire in the coil to the engine, sparks.

As soon as I add a plug to the equation, either to the stripped coil wire, hay wire, cut and re screwed-on coil wire with new spark plug cap, nothing, no spark..?

I've taken the engine out and cleaned up the points half assed, not great, going to get emery board tomorrow, but I used a screw driver and sand paper, and they look pretty clean. Same issue, will spark using bare wire next to the engine, but as soon as I add a spark plug, nothing. If I hold the spark plug though, it still zaps me. Just no spark.

I'm thinking two weak coils (because that's my luck lol) or maybe the stator?

Please let me know what you think!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had a bad stator on my 80 ss not saying that's your prob but it could be. Sounds like it might be grounding out part way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Try unplugging the main harness from the engine and try it. That will eliminate any possibly bad wiring in the rest of the sled.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
weak spark or strong spark you will get a zap and you said getting a spark by just grounding a bare wire to the engine from the coil yes you will get a spark but like i said earlier weak or strong spark you will get a spark and when you use a plug you get nothing so to me you have a weak spark that will not spark the plug, clean the points more and maybe your condensors are not grounded properly or they don't hold a strong charge or you have a bad generating coil that's not producing a strong current. when you do this bare wire thing is it a strong blue or orange colour and unhook the battery and manually crank the motor over to see what happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts