Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looking for some insight on track changes (if any). For some background, I snow checked a '16 Freeride 146 and rode it for the past 2 seasons and absolutely loved it. When ordering, I wanted something longer than my '15 Renegade and without electric start, so I leaned towards the 146 instead of the 137. I had my reservations and was quite skeptical on the 2.5" paddles holding up to trail use, but couldn't say no to the off trail capability. My confidence grew in them, and after 1700 miles I had absolutely zero issues, as well as a friend of mine with the same track on his summit for 1300 miles.

Fast forward to this season, I spring ordered the '18 Freeride 146 and it has blown away my performance expectations. My '16 set the bar high, but this new chassis handles incredibly, the extra 50cc's is a bonus, and the new P-Drive clutch and throttle response are hands down the biggest leap forward.

HOWEVER, 700 miles on the clock, I was loading the sled in my truck and noticed a plethora of missing lugs. I mean it is ugly. Pending an official count, I eyeballed about 22 from my truck bed without rotating or getting up in the front of the tunnel. Under normal circumstances, I would assume I found a log or a rock while being far from cautious with the throttle. But in this case, there is only a strip of about 9 in a row ripped on one side, and the rest are intermittent throughout the whole length of the track and on either side, some every other lug (probably worth noting that I didn't see any from the center strip of lugs). Seems to me if I hit something this would not be the case. I rode this sled no harder than my '16, in the same areas, and in frankly a better winter so far than the previous 2 seasons.

So my questions are as follows:

-Has any one else had this issue?

-Could it be some sort of defect?

-Did something significant change from the 2.5" PowderMax FlexEdge offered on my '16, to the 2.5" PowderMax II FlexEdge offered on my '18 that would be related to this?

-Did I just get (as well as my riding buddy's summit) extremely lucky with our '16s?

Any input you guys might have is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update for anyone listening...only answers I've been given so far.

Learned, on the 2018 anyway, that the stock 16x146x2.5" track is rated at 40mph on trails. Whether that was the case in 2016 or not I have yet to hear, but like I said, that track held up excellent with no thumb hesitation. Neglecting the Lehman's name, the tracks do have the same part number for both model years. Possible explanations for the differences in integrity are "a revised compound, or change/variation in the baking process."

Decided not to replace with the same track for this reason. Went with a 2ply 15x146x1.75" snowx based track (idk who the heck would snowx a 146 skid...but I found one) with 150 Woody's 1.86" 60deg snowx studs. Tunnel/bulkhead protector kit went right in smoothly as well to my surprise. Will hopefully try and get an install thread together soon with some pics...maybe when the snow melts!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Update for anyone listening...only answers I've been given so far.

Learned, on the 2018 anyway, that the stock 16x146x2.5" track is rated at 40mph on trails. Whether that was the case in 2016 or not I have yet to hear, but like I said, that track held up excellent with no thumb hesitation. Neglecting the Lehman's name, the tracks do have the same part number for both model years. Possible explanations for the differences in integrity are "a revised compound, or change/variation in the baking process."

Decided not to replace with the same track for this reason. Went with a 2ply 15x146x1.75" snowx based track (idk who the heck would snowx a 146 skid...but I found one) with 150 Woody's 1.86" 60deg snowx studs. Tunnel/bulkhead protector kit went right in smoothly as well to my surprise. Will hopefully try and get an install thread together soon with some pics...maybe when the snow melts!
I also have a an 18 146 with 2.5" paddle and have about 1500 miles on it, probably 1200+ cruising trails and mine looks brand new. I run scratchers when it's not loose snow and am not easy on the throttle. Maybe scratchers saved me? Or maybe you got a bad track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also have a an 18 146 with 2.5" paddle and have about 1500 miles on it, probably 1200+ cruising trails and mine looks brand new. I run scratchers when it's not loose snow and am not easy on the throttle. Maybe scratchers saved me? Or maybe you got a bad track?

Looking more and more like the track. May still fall within their design characteristics so not necessarily "bad" in their eyes, but just the end of the spectrum that didn't work out for me.

Glad you got your hands on a good one! Definitely a blast to ride!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looking more and more like the track. May still fall within their design characteristics so not necessarily "bad" in their eyes, but just the end of the spectrum that didn't work out for me.

Glad you got your hands on a good one! Definitely a blast to ride!!!
I was pretty nervous with the amount of trail riding I do and considered getting a 1.6 or 1.75 just for the trails but this thing has been awesome everywhere. I am pretty meticulous about running scratchers and when it's real hardpack I'm a little easier on the flipper.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I know it's been a couple years since this thread started. But, thought I'd let you know I also have an 18' 146 freeride. Mine also started losing outside paddles at 700 miles. I put the same track on going I got a lemon as 3 other identical sleds in our group hadn't experienced issues at the point. Next season another guy did have the same issues. My second track had 1500 miles and same issue started last year. I babied it at first but getting called grandpa on the trail by the rest of the group was a clear reassurance that I wasn't enjoying myself. Offtrail I tend to carve more and more aggressively than the other matching sled in our group who doesn't seem to have issues yet but still runs high speeds on trail.

I'm leaning towards aftermarket camso track fully clipped for my next one. Might still do 2.5 or 2.0 . They look a lot thicker than the oem track. I think oem might have been lightened up too much for rotating mass versus longevity. Just my thoughts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts